Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 8:43 pm

Since you're only 18 years old, have you thought about becoming a doctor? Yeah, the real thing, becoming an MD, learning your stuff and being able to help people. It's a gift to yourself to even consider this possibility, and sure, why not.

For example, pneumonia, piece of cake, some kind of infection, fluid accumulates in lungs making it hard to breath, right? Well, that's the basics. There are many specific causes and many specific cures, but that is the basics. And here's a reference to the real New England Journal of Medicine from Nov. 12, 2009, that if a person has had flu symptoms and flu has been circulating in the area and the chest X-ray looks like some kind of infection to the lung---well, it could be either a direct viral infection or a secondary bacterial infection. So . . . you treat for both. But in the study only 73% of these patients received antivirals (such as Tamiflu). But now knowing this, you could do better.
"In our study, only 73% of patients with radiographic evidence of pneumonia received antiviral drugs . . . "
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... articleTop
(toward bottom click "Read the Full Article" and look in discussion section)

So, there you go, you build it up bit by bit. And you realize you don't know everything. You help your colleagues, and in turn, you are open to them helping you.

And importantly, even when you think you know what's going on, if things aren't working out for your patient, that is definitely information, that kind of like a continuation of the dialogue in a different and unexpected direction. So, you take that information into account and maybe go at it a different way.

So, yeah, I'd recommend maybe read a couple of medical school autobiographies and see what you think.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2010, 9:11 pm

superboyian wrote:
I haven't had a job yet but from what I have heard, it seems that most people with aspergers/autism seem to have a difficult time with getting a job along with some disadvantages they may experience and myself.

But from what I was told, I could have a very difficult time getting myself a job and coping with life.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever had or currently in a job, if so, how did you manage to get in and was it difficult?

I have had three jobs in the past. Two ended because of issues I have that I believe are related to me being autistic. I've pretty much given up on obtaining a traditional job (in America, I'm not sure about other countries). That doesn't mean I don't think I can make money on my own. See, there's a lot that we can do to make money without having to get a job.

I believe that one of the best options would be some form of writing or individual expertise. What I mean by this is someone finding you and you answering their questions (either from information you already have, such as a book or a website that has information in it or some other way). A lot of autistics seem to be autodidacts in a particular field. While this expertise is not considered welcome in a workplace environment (it is much more difficult to get a job as a self-taught programmer than one that has gone to school, and some fields do not accept autodidacts at all), it can be very welcome in a writing environment, as being an autodidact lends itself to being more open to ideas that go against the norm as well as potentially being free from misconceptions that are present in some fields. Huston Smith, for example, is a very prominent (and successful) autodidact in the field of religion.

I believe that any field that is not a traditional job environment would be perfect for autistics. That is not to say that autistics cannot have traditional jobs. There are many that do and do quite successfully at them. However, I feel that my energy would be much better spent working towards a non-traditional job. It would also mean a lot more security for me, because one slip up (where I let my true self show) would not get me fired or affect my career nearly as much as it would in a traditional job environment.

I am in the process of applying for disability, but I wish only to be on there as long as is absolutely necessary to achieve security in my non-traditional work.

Drizzt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2010, 9:29 pm

I happen to have an AS boss. My son has it, his daughter has it. I'm aloof though not diagnosed with AS. My boss is definitely AS. He is very, very difficult to work with. Good guy though and understanding AS helps me to manage his good days and some very bad, dark days which may have nothing to do at all with AS.

All in all, he continues to perform well and produce good numbers that keep him secure in his position. His laser focus on the technical aspects of the job is his strength. He manages people though and that is his weakness.

He loves being a manager of people but some on the team are beginning to revolt against his management style. Simply, he ignores the emotional, social needs of employees. He shows very little empathy towards others which others interpret to mean he doesn't care. He does care but isn't quite adept at showing it. He would be best in an office conducting analysis and developing strategy. His technical knowledge exceeds most people in both breadth and depth and proper placement of his talents would be a huge asset to the company.

I think the key is working with an employer to best match your talents with the employer's needs while minimizing any weaknesses. Also, people that are very good at their jobs are often offered opportunities to lead and train other people. You may want to ask for an alternative career path that best uses your talents while not putting you in direct charge of people with all their whining, demanding and erratic and irrational emotional and social needs.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 4:07 pm

Sometimes it is easier to get a good job than a crummy job. Sounds paradoxical, but that really does seem to be true. And in a similar vein, sometimes you are more allowed to be yourself and be different in a good job than in a crummy job.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 7:36 am

Hey guys.

I like the idea of actually getting a very good counsellor and I'm definitely not looking for a job like McDonalds, it would be too much for me plus I'm really crappy when it comes to cooking (I can do perfect with burgers though).

@Drizzl: That's actually awesome, my dad has autism and he was made manager of a restaurant that his friend opened up, it actually really paid off though, I must say and he was for a very long time too.

@AardvarkGoodSwimmer: I'm not sure about becoming a doctor, its apparently one of the things I don't seem to like very much.

sickforapathyx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2010, 3:09 pm

The thing is, it doesn't matter if you can adapt to the social aspect of a job like Cashieering. When you are in an interview they mark it down on your application or something if they felt NO connection. Employers are able to read if you cant connect to people socially or not.

yukari

03 Sep 2010, 3:31 pm

I worked as a teacher in a school for a month (it was a practice for students)...It was difficult for me, but I think if bad days will come and it will be the lack of money, I will be able to do it again. The only problem is, that in some school they pay too many attention to your clothes and such things... but there are also schools, where this is totally unimportant. They really watch what do you do, not how do you look like.

I also work as a private tutor now. I had three pupils of different age, and it wasn't very difficult to find a contact. One time my asperger problems turned into an advantage: my pupil has some psychological problems (undiagnosed..), and I found a contact with him after two other teachers rejected to help him. I think it was because some of our problems are similar, and I was able to understand or ignore what other teachers disliked in his behavior (like moving back and forth when thinking or avoiding eyes contact).

I study and work as a freelancer now. I get some money for this. Sometimes i have problems with concentration, but solve them. I like such kind of job, because all communications are in written form.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 8:15 pm

Intresting thread, I need to put my aspie thinking cap on as I'm doubly handicapped having spent the last 9 years on disability, what to do I wonder My special interest nearly killed me. :(

www.messmedia.org/CMWC.html

When I got the diagnosis from a psychologist she said qoute : I was a sensitive person (wasn't feeling to sensitive at that moment having been in mental breakdown mode :roll: ) and that I should lighten up on myself + that I should go and work for myself , is this the standard pre rehearsed line they all drawl out these days ? :? Should I take heed of their advise I wonder. :?

Still it's not all bad their will be some sort of employer subsidy their for me otherwise it would be long term unemployment and "work for the dole" for me :twisted:

Last edited by aussiebloke on 03 Sep 2010, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 8:32 pm

sunshower wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Be prepared to think outside of the box for typical "entry" level jobs; too many of them require skills that are easy for NT's, but difficult for someone with AS. McDonalds would be a horrible place for you to work, for example. Too fast, too social, too noisy.

I've worked many different jobs (albeit for brief periods of time - I usually work over holiday breaks between uni semester, and before that school holidays) and I agree with this 100%. The cashier type super social mainstream bottom level jobs are deadly to Aspies. Those jobs have sent me into massive breakdowns, even after only a few months of casual hours.

I think as an aspie thinking outside of the box when it comes to work is essential. Plus the most important thing is to look at your skill-set. Obviously not everyone is going to have any special skills or talents, but if you do, exploit them!

An example: I'm a singer, been singing in choirs since I was four, and also have been writing original music for voice and piano on and off for years. About a year and a half ago I saw advertised a position for a church scholar singer; basically the church was looking for one highly skilled singer per part to pay to sing at that church every week. At the time I didn't have huge experience in sight singing classical music, but I went for the audition.

Initially they told me I wasn't quite up to the standard they required, but the offered me a trial period of two months in the general choir (at a lower pay rate) and said at the end of that time they would decide whether to put me on the scholarship or not. I tried really hard, and learned as fast as I could over that time, and so I got the scholarship! :)

I've been singing with them for a year and a half now and I couldn't be happier - it's a quiet and calming environment, extremely routine and predictable, you work with the same small select group of people each week, and the job itself doesn't require people skills or socializing - just singing, blending, and other choir things.

This was earning me enough to get by on top of my youth allowance (which I am on as I am studying full time uni), and after a time of this I started thinking and wondering if I could use my skill set in this area to find more employment and increase my income in a type of job that wouldn't send me into a meltdown. I decided to increase and polish my repertoire of original music and go out and start performing at open mic nights. The first (and only so far) one I performed at has now gained me paid singing slots two nights a week, for one hour each night. Because pay is very high per hour for music performance if you are a solo artist (and don't have to split costs between band members), I figure that if my uni degree doesn't work out, and I don't end up finding employment as a psychologist - or I can't cope with being a psychologist, I would be able to survive on live singing performances if I found places to perform at every night, even if I only performed two or three hours a day. Plus it's creative and I love doing it.

But yes, mainstream jobs aren't always the go for aspies, but if you search hard enough and are proactive about it there's other jobs out there.

Another example is berry picking - I've done that before and thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a solo job, it's outdoors, energetic, and non-stressful. Lots of farm work and outdoor physical type jobs can be a good alternative to super social cashier type jobs.

Basically, thinking outside the box is essential, and constantly being on the lookout for job opportunities - read the advertisements in the paper every day, use job search websites etc, and keep an eye out for those "alternative" style jobs.

Nailed it their Sunshower Cycle Messenger is as far from the mainstream as you can get . Only problems was I had to deal with snotty and superior office people often of the secretarial type . They would make snide remarks like it must be nice earning a little bit of pocket money (said in a condescending tone) HA HA little did they now as a contractor (working your %$#@ off ) I was earning more than they where.

Quite incredible actually I was a teenager (19- 20) highly uneducated and unskilled earning a middle income type wage buy a home and pay it off in my early 20's all the while doing something I really love . Though I don't think their are many (none) that earn a middle income wage these days which in Australia starts at about 65 K , not that these things matter to me I was doing something I love and that's all that matters at the end of the day. :)