Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 1:46 pm

It is possible to have both.

Jsmewth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2010, 6:41 pm

Yep. I am diagnossed with Aspergers and Bipolar.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 7:24 am

Schizoaffective bipolar, as well as auty. So yes, it is possible. On the upside, they've finally found meds that stop the hallucinations, voices, paranoia etc. :) I feel miles better.

industrialx
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2010, 9:14 am

Mood disorders such as unipolar and bipolar depression are apparently very common in individuals with AS - it says something about it on the RDOS website, after you've done the test. I myself was diagnosed with bipolar despression at the age of nineteen, but after having that diagnosis later quashed two years later, I believe it was a wrong diagnosis, and should have been AS.

industrialx
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2010, 9:16 am

Mood disorders such as unipolar and bipolar depression are apparently very common in individuals with AS - it says something about it on the RDOS website, after you've done the test. I myself was diagnosed with bipolar despression at the age of nineteen, but after having that diagnosis later quashed two years later, I believe it was a wrong diagnosis, and should have been AS.

Bob550
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2010, 9:47 pm

I have both Bipolar Disorder and AS

anasthasia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

I'm diagnosed with both, I have high-functioning Asperger's and Bipolar type 1 disorder. So yes, it is possible to have both. And as I heard they are often comorbid. Though Asperger's is more like social skills, sensory and other problems, but extreme mood swings are definitely a part of Bipolar. They are not mentioned in Asperger's. Many with Asperger's don't have such mood fluctuations, so maybe it is Bipolar. I recommend to get you tested for Bipolar by a professional. Only they can tell if it is Bipolar or something else....

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

alex wrote:
Well the two diagnoses are not mutually exclusive. However, I've never met anyone with both bipolar and aspergers.

I have a friend with bipolar type 1 and AS. There can be no doubt as to the accuracy for either diagnosis for her.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

Xenu wrote:
So I know for a fact I have Aspergers and have been diagnosed multiple times by different psychiatrists and therapists. However I have just as much been suspected to have Bipolar by other Psychiatrist and therapists. My mother is an idiot and believes that everybody with Bipolar are the same and refuses to admit I have it because her uncle has it and she claims that because I am nothing like him I don't have it... Yeah I know ridiculous. Anyways I am almost sure I have Bipolar as well... I am pretty much textbook Aspergers and Bipolar both and I was wondering if it was possible to have both?

This is so weird... I have been diagnosed with Aspergers but I've also been suspected of having Bipolar Disorder by one of my doctors, and like you my Mom refused to believe it because my grandfather suffers from it and she swears I'm nothing like him. Yet the strangest thing is I take medication called Risperidone (I think that's how it's pronounced) which helps me to function and is commonly used for people with Bipolar, and when I skip a day without it I get high levels of energy and extreme emotional reactions. Of course I've tried telling this to my Mother and she swears it's all Aspergers and has nothing to do with Bipolar (yeah like she's such an expert on the human mind being a complete basket case herself who won't admit she has any problems).

Anyways I think it may be possible I have both Aspergers and Bipolar too, I've noticed some of the traits I share with the disorder like my emotional ups and down and my high levels of energy that come when I don't take my medication. Of course since my Mom for some reason refuses to even consider the possability I might have it there's nothing I can do about it. :?

OICU812
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

I am diagnosed with both but I actually don't believe I am bi-polar. Not because I just don't want the label but because I don't have the symptoms. Besides the doctor that diagnosed with bi-polar was an idiot who thought I was an alcoholic because I drink maybe a six pack every two weeks.

I never concern myself with the labels they come out with for me. Aspergers stuck with me because I can relate to it a bit but I can't really relate to some of the things they come up with.

happydorkgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

Count me as well. My psych team and I are still trying to tease the two apart to figure out where one ends and the other begins.

RPM
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

It is for sure possible to have more than 1 disability/disorder and all that.

I myself have autism, adhd, scoliosis, low grade depression, seasonal affective disorder, generalized anxiety disorder.

My mom and her oldest brother probably have adhd, one of the sons of her oldest brother probably has adhd as well, and her oldest brother had a grandson with autism.

The daughter of one of my mom's sisters was in special ed herself and has autistic like traits, and the son of the same cousin's twin sister is diagnosed adhd.

My grandfather on my mom's side probably had adhd, my grandmother on my mom's side was bipolar and her depression really worsened after one of my uncles was murdered (the murdered uncle was my mom's favorite brother out of her 3 brothers).

my mom's youngest sister has bipolar, that very aunt's son deals with panic attacks, one of my mom's sisters (the one has daughter with autitic traits and grandson with adhd) has depression herself as does my mom, my sister has adhd and depression, my sister probably has bipolar as well.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 5:46 pm

I have both autism and schizoaffective disorder bipolar type so its very possible to have both. I am not Asperger's but rather classic autism.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 8:14 am

Yes

I have asperger traits, but what has forced me to deal with psychiatrists and medication over the years has been chronic mood disorder, probably best described as bipolar type 2.
I have had former doctors view my flat affect and mannerisms as schitzoaffective. When I was a lot younger I was even misdiagnosed as schitzophrenic, even though I have had no history of psychosis ever! The problem is that anti-psychotic meds make me 10x worse.
I have learned to just focus on depression when I talk to doctors so I can try anti-depressants and mood stabilizers which do work.
The clinical presentation of "flat affect", "weird mannerisms", and "severe depression" gets doctors thinking in all different directions. The correct combination of aspergers with bipolar doesn't seem to be the first that comes to mind and that has lead to incorrect treatment in the past.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 12:05 am

People with autism spectrum disorders are more likely to have schizophrenia or bipolar disorders and they affect everyone differently just like autism does. You could have a mild case and how you deal with it is up to you. If you are not a threat to yourself or others then you have a lot more freedom in deciding what you want to do about it. I have the same problem because my grandpa had BP really bad and my mom was devastated by it. She doesn't want any part in that aspect of my life and will make my symptoms worse sometimes.