Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 7:56 pm

So I know for a fact I have Aspergers and have been diagnosed multiple times by different psychiatrists and therapists. However I have just as much been suspected to have Bipolar by other Psychiatrist and therapists. My mother is an idiot and believes that everybody with Bipolar are the same and refuses to admit I have it because her uncle has it and she claims that because I am nothing like him I don't have it... Yeah I know ridiculous. Anyways I am almost sure I have Bipolar as well... I am pretty much textbook Aspergers and Bipolar both and I was wondering if it was possible to have both?

Vitki
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2010, 8:41 pm

I have both. I believe it is often stated that Asperger's and Mood Disorders can be co-morbid, though you have to separate out the depression and/or anxiety caused by difficulties with Asperger's. And there definitely are many types of bipolar; type I, type II, cyclothymic, mixed, and rapid-cycling. I don't know for sure, but I doubt when someone inherits bipolar that they always get the same type as a relative.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 9:00 pm

Yes. I have both Asperger's and Bipolar, as well as ADHD. Having Asperger's seems to make it a higher risk for a Mood Disorder, such as Bipolar, Depression, etc...

I've done a bit of research with Bipolar, and just like Autism, there's a really wide spectrum to it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm

I believe that it is possible to have both. I have a feeling that I'm Bi-Polar.

the_leezard
Butterfly
Butterfly

Location: near charlote, nc from charleston (chucktown) sc usa

04 Sep 2010, 1:23 am

i thing i am biloar as well as an aspie becuase i get these headaches and then i get were my mood swings very dramaticaly. i can tell though when it happens becuase i get overly excited and joyful 12-24 hours prior then i get this head ache and it is like i get mad real easy and then i get the burst of pure anger (normaly non provoked) and then afterwards im back to normal. i try hyping myself on energy drinks but it doesn't always work. i also feel as though im not there all the way and it almost like im watching myself if that makes sense. if i am able to hold it off till my day off it is real bad. it also drains me so much and i feel extremely depressed right afterwards. if it matter to the situation it also happens that i call people that ive known for years by diffrent names. and also get mad when think people are trying to use me on those times. long story short i think i might be but not shore. so i guess you could be

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 2:18 am

Yes it is possible to have both. I know several aspies with it.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2010, 2:32 am

Yes, it's very possible for someone to have ASD and a mood disorder. Hopefully you can find the right treatment to adequately deal with your symptoms.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2010, 2:48 am

Bipolar disorder seems to be a common co-morbid condition.

Quote:
In a clinical sample of 727 children, 52 met criteria for PDD, 114 met criteria for mania, and 14 of 52 children with PDD met criteria also for BD (2% of all referrals, 12% of children with BD, and 27% of children with PDD). In a consecutive series of adult patients referred with a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder, 7% had BD. Autism spectrum disorder, BD and Tourette syndrome were found to co-occur at a greater than chance expectation in the study of Kerbeshian & Burd.

From this article: http://archive.biomedcentral.com/1745-0179/4/26

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 2:57 am

I am diagnosed with both I believe. My freaking first psychologist had more "guesses" than anything and my third psychologist slapped me like 6 labels on the same paper.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:05 pm

I have both aspergers and bipolar disorder. People with bipolar disorder are as different as ASD people are from each other. If your uncle has it, that increases the odds that you have it too.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

Dnuos wrote:
Yes. I have both Asperger's and Bipolar, as well as ADHD. Having Asperger's seems to make it a higher risk for a Mood Disorder, such as Bipolar, Depression, etc...

I've done a bit of research with Bipolar, and just like Autism, there's a really wide spectrum to it.

Me too.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 6:16 pm

I don't know of any rule that says you can't have both, but I do know that aspergers tends to emulate the symptoms of other disorders, such as bipolar.

Real bipolar people tend to have wild swings from being depressed to being hyper and indestructible. But they are mostly depressed. Aspies can be normal one minute and then go into meltdown mode which can often be misdiagnosed as a bipolar mood swing.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Sep 2010, 7:03 pm

Well the two diagnoses are not mutually exclusive. However, I've never met anyone with both bipolar and aspergers.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2010, 8:12 pm

alex wrote:
Well the two diagnoses are not mutually exclusive. However, I've never met anyone with both bipolar and aspergers.

5 people in this thread just said they are dx'ed with both bipolar and ASD.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Nurylon
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2010, 12:28 am

John, make that 6.

It also says on some professional site, I forget where, that Aspies can have comorbid bipolar or borderline PD.

Kunoichi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2010, 7:56 am

hi im sorta new and i have been diagnosed with schizo affective disorder as well as when i was little i was diagnosed with (dunno if its spelt right) symatic pragmatic disorder syndrom, an autistic spectrum disorder. the schizo affective is like a mix between depressive mood swings and schizophrenia. i think its very possible to have both.