this is scaring the hell out of me



Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page:

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 am

All this talk about the world ending and 2012 approaching and revelations coming true is really scaring me. Now while i am no religious fanatic, it seems strange to me that the disasters described in revelations are occuring somehwat. i also fear that our future will be a post apocalyptic one, and not a star trek like future. is there any scientific evidence to prove that the world will really decline in the coming years or not?



saintetienne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 418

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:58 am

i am a leading scientist and i can tell you that yes, there is a great deal of scientific evidence that the world will end in around 18 months.



buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 3662

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:08 am

I'll give you a clue: people have always thought and probably will continue to think that their time is the end time. It hasn't ended yet. It's not really something to worry about because in the unlikely event that it is, you can't do anything about it.



trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:24 am

that is one way to look at it. i dont see why the mayans have 2012 on their calendar even though they never specified what would happen on december 21 of that year. but i am very worried that our future will get worse as we are currently living beyond our means and wasting all our resources



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 5234

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 am

trojan51 wrote:
All this talk about the world ending and 2012 approaching and revelations coming true is really scaring me. Now while i am no religious fanatic, it seems strange to me that the disasters described in revelations are occuring somehwat. i also fear that our future will be a post apocalyptic one, and not a star trek like future. is there any scientific evidence to prove that the world will really decline in the coming years or not?


The world will likely not end in 2021. The Mayan calender doesn't even end in 2012. To think so would be like thinking that world will end at the turn of a century o a millenium.

Of course it doesn't...a new century or millenium starts.

In 2012 one of the Mayan long counts will end, and a new long count will start. The Mayans probably would have had a big festival to commemorate this.



trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:47 am

what exactly did the mayans mean by long count? and i am worried that our future could be dystopian since our economy is dominated by oil, which is expected to run out during this century



tomhead
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 87
Location: Jackson, Mississippi

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:01 am

trojan51 wrote:
All this talk about the world ending and 2012 approaching and revelations coming true is really scaring me. Now while i am no religious fanatic, it seems strange to me that the disasters described in revelations are occuring somehwat. i also fear that our future will be a post apocalyptic one, and not a star trek like future. is there any scientific evidence to prove that the world will really decline in the coming years or not?
There's no clear evidence, and there never has been, sadly. The human race could be annihilated in ten minutes, or achieve godhood in 50 million years. We really have no way of knowing how the story is going to go.

But none of the scenarios re: the world specifically ending in 2012 are scientifically plausible, and peak oil theory assumes that we're still going to badly need oil when we run out of it. And we may, but hopefully by then we'll at least be ready to shift to something else. Nobody really knows.


Cheers,

TH



trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 am

when you say scientifically plausible, it makes me think that you believe there is a good chance of the world ending in 2012. and when is the peak oil date or the day we run out of oil supposed to be? i know that the hybrids will delay that date



Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 17663
Location: Untied Kingdom

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:56 am

I think 2012 marks the beginning of a new great year, doesn't it? The earth moves through all 12 zodiac signs once every 250,000 years or so.

I like to think that 2012 will mark the beginning of a new age of good things. Until I know otherwise for sure, I will remain optimistic.


_________________
Not currently a moderator


tomhead
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 87
Location: Jackson, Mississippi

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:29 am

trojan51 wrote:
when you say scientifically plausible, it makes me think that you believe there is a good chance of the world ending in 2012.
I don't. What I mean by that is that I think there is about as much chance of the world ending in 2012 as there is of the world ending in 2011 or 2013 or 2739.
Quote:
and when is the peak oil date or the day we run out of oil supposed to be? i know that the hybrids will delay that date
Nobody has any idea when we'll run out of oil; there are a lot of theories, some terrifying, some less so.


Cheers,

TH



mgran
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 1864

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 am

saintetienne wrote:
i am a leading scientist and i can tell you that yes, there is a great deal of scientific evidence that the world will end in around 18 months.

What sort of "leading scientist"? Anyone can say anything they like on an internet forum... what are your credentials?

For the record I doubt very much that a "leading scientist" would identify themselves as such.



saintetienne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 pm
Posts: 418

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 am

mgran wrote:
saintetienne wrote:
i am a leading scientist and i can tell you that yes, there is a great deal of scientific evidence that the world will end in around 18 months.

What sort of "leading scientist"? Anyone can say anything they like on an internet forum... what are your credentials?

For the record I doubt very much that a "leading scientist" would identify themselves as such.


i'm a leading scientist in the field of 'apocalyptic events'



Lene
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:00 pm
Posts: 3543
Location: East China Sea

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 am

I used to worry too- remember that Nostradamus prophecy? And then, after the 'event' people went back and rechecked the prophecy and found out that actually, due to a misplaced apostrophe in the translation, it was just talking about a new age of prosperity etc...

I've been a little sceptical ever since :P



mgran
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:00 pm
Posts: 1864

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:47 am

saintetienne wrote:
mgran wrote:
saintetienne wrote:
i am a leading scientist and i can tell you that yes, there is a great deal of scientific evidence that the world will end in around 18 months.

What sort of "leading scientist"? Anyone can say anything they like on an internet forum... what are your credentials?

For the record I doubt very much that a "leading scientist" would identify themselves as such.


i'm a leading scientist in the field of 'apocalyptic events'
Well, saintetienne, I'll take your word for it. For the record, I believe the world is going to end at some point between now and the next two hundred years, but although I've made a study of it, I wouldn't claim to be an "expert." All the signs point to the end coming soon. But that might just be wish fulfillment on my part. After all, I'm not exactly right in the head.



Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 526

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:54 am

Yes - the world is going to end because the Mayans were too lazy to extend their calendar. Everyone knows that if you fail to buy a calendar for the new year, a miniature black hole will form around your old calendar and suck you in - now imagine that effect multiplied by however many Mayans are around.

There are environmental/nuclear war possibilities or the possibility of some external space event - the idea that we are going to know when it happens based on what some ancient dead person said is ridiculous - people have been predicting the end of the world from the beginnings of civilisation - just because some of it got recorded and released into the popular psyche doesn't make it any more valid.



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page:




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: