Your IQ as a child vs your IQ as an adult

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:11 pm

I have no idea what my IQ actually was as a child; I never was sent to be tested. But if I were to guess, I probably would have been given an even higher verbal IQ/vocabulary subtest score as a young child, as I believe I was hyperlexic. I definitely would have had a lower performance IQ and an even greater gap between my VIQ and my PIQ. My NVLD and visual-spatial deficits were downright abysmal in elementary school. I did not even have the ability to visualize spatial orientation in 3D or see painfully simple symmetry (e.g., a heart shape) until around age 12. I also used to lack almost any conception of differentiating left from right. While I still have directional confusion, it is nothing like how it was when I was a child.

For whatever reason, I have been able to gain certain visual-spatial skills since middle school, to the point where I have been able to take (and understand) organic chemistry and calculus. The only IQ test I ever took was at age 19, and my overall PIQ was 116. I shudder to think of what it would have been if I had been tested at age 9! :lol: I really do think I would have had a PIQ somewhere between 85 and 95 as a child.

Nash: Is there a difference?

SomethingWitty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2012, 7:40 am

Well this topic is crushing my self-esteem one post at a time :lol:
My childhood IQ, based on these cognitive ability tests, was 113 and my adult IQ, based on the mensa test, is 137
Nothing extraordinary really but its interesting to see how it's risen!

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2012, 2:20 pm

My IQ as a child is a funny story:

At age 2 years and 8 months, not too long after I was officially diagnosed on the autism spectrum, an IQ test showed my overall IQ to be in the mildly mentally 'deficient' range (don't know what the exact number is). I hadn't even say my first word when this was given. So this should be completely ignored.
Exactly 8 years later, when I was considered to be verbal and was given another IQ test, I scored 108 (bright normal) on that.

shyengineer wrote:
It seems that an IQ of about 125 is optimal in regards to real-life success.

Funny thing about that is on the most recent official IQ test given to me (when i was a sophomore in high school), my overall IQ was estimated to be 125.

To the OP, personally, I think giving an IQ test to a child that hasn't even started school is stupid (especially if that child is non-verbal at the time that assessment for that child's IQ is considered). So I wouldn't take your 5-year-old autistic daughter's IQ score seriously. I would wait at least several years and see if she improves any.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 5:59 pm

Mumofsweetautiegirl wrote:
Hi there,

My daughter is 5 years old and has autism. She recently did her first IQ test and the result was an IQ of 80. I'd hoped it would be a little higher than this but I've also heard that the first IQ test is to be taken as a benchmark and that IQ can change as people grow up.

So I was wondering whether any of you had your IQs tested as a child and how do they compare to your IQs now that you're an adult? Has your IQ changed since you were a child?

Thanks,
Laura

When I was about eleven, my IQ was 108. Now it is 124. Depends on what kind of test you do.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2012, 6:40 pm

IQTest.com told me my IQ is 134...right after trying to get me to pay for pointless testing, haha. It's incredible that a site can exist solely to give people relatively bogus results on a mostly pointless test and then goad them into paying for more. I never took an official IQ test but any of the goofy ones that have been passed around and even the good old Mensa test they used to offer on their website have put me between 120-150. I genuinely believe I was much more intelligent relative to others as a child than I am now.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 8:37 pm

I was never IQ tested as a child, so I don't know how relevant you'll find this, but in comparison with my brother (who is at best slightly above average) I seemed very, very slow. I could not, and still cannot without the aid of a calculator, do simple addition or subtraction at the age of eight. I could not read or write, tie my shoelaces, dress myself, use a knife and fork, tell the time etc. etc. etc. at the age of eight (although that's when I started learning to do such things).

But I started to rapidly pick up academic skills from then on. I went from being unable to place in year 3 SATs to a mix of 5's and 4's at year 6 SATS, and scoring all 7's in year nine SATs. I have five GCSEs, three A Levels and I'm in the process of completing a degree.

I don't have a diagnosis of anything. I was quite badly neglected between the ages of 6-7 and well, uhm, I suppose it didn't stop until I moved in my partner who helps me with a lot of tasks I can't do, so I think a lot of it was put down to that. Also, one of the areas I was neglected in was being sent to school so I don't think I was there enough for them to notice (Maximum of 60% attendance throughout my school career. I still can't figure out why social services left me with my mum, but oh well).

The point is, intelligence and functioning are mutable. A person who appears to not function well and be of low IQ at five may well catch up fine, particularly given appropriate assistance. Especially when they're not treated as lesser for their ostensibly 'lesser' capabilities.

jacked
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2012, 9:49 pm

IQ's are only to measure which side of your brain is working

performance and verbal ability are barley all our brains are capable of.
But they know that PIQ is left and VIQ is right
However my social problem prevented me from learning anything at all in school.

The dumbest thing is that someone decided to average them together. That defeats the purpose.
So a left hemisphere is 150 and a right is 50 then they are still above average even though they can not verbally communicate???

I wish they would add social Intelligence quotient to the test.

Aquais94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

My IQ Level was 62 when I was a child (11 years old), and when I was 19 years old, I scored 87. (All are professionally done)

Diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 4 1/2 years old. Now Atypical PDD-NOS (Resembled as Asperger's Syndrome)

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 4:57 pm

Age 10: 115
Age 14: 135
Age 20: 141
Age 30: 151
Age 37: 144
Age 41: 138

I'm 48 now and haven't taken a full test lately.
I recently took a short 25 minute one and scored around 128, but I always score low on the short timed tests.

From my numbers it would seem that something about puberty can boost some mental abilities, and also that aging can diminish them as well.
My own impression is that mine are dropping, and that the more exposure to other people or media that I experience, the more it drops.
Social type stuff seems to really bog the brain down.