Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:53 pm

SuperApsie wrote:
Thanks Janissy for the precision.

Mdyar wrote:
Quote:
In 1976, Feynman went to give a colloquium as to the Parton model. He added something to that 124 IQ story (this high school i.q. test) by remarking that he took a WAIS exam in the mid 1950s which pegged him as having a 150 IQ. His remark was as follows:

" I pay attention to what I want to , and most intelligence tests just get in the way of what math and science problems I am really interested in"

That brought down the house at UC Santa Cruz. The crowd loved it, and it was most likely true.
-NPU Forum

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2412252.html#2412252

His IQ went up dramatically, fine. But it does not contradict the fact that the IQ score is not a reliable way to meter someone's intelligence capacity

He was 124, in high school, this is a miserable fail to discover his potential

I found this post that seemed relevant to this discussion. I didn't write this, and I also doubt that Feynmen's 124 IQ was a good measure of his intellect. This topic was once exhausted on another board and the conclusion was that people in the "superior range" are incapable of doing Noble laureate worthy theoretical physics without a good stroke or two of 'luck.'

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 4:03 pm

I was said to be "gifted" as a child, so it's possible that I made 130+ score as a child; but now as a adult my IQ will be about 115, well having no sub score in the "gifted" range.

Valoyossa wrote:
I'm more stupid than when I was a child. When I was 6, my IQ was 180, when I was 20, my IQ was 163.

You could simply had hit the ceiling, most IQ tests don't go over your score at 20.

Callista wrote:
(I'm curious to know how in the world they measured a 180 on standard intelligence tests, because you start hitting multiple ceilings at 130. Above that range, the error margin is huge--twenty, thirty points above 145--and there just aren't any more questions.)

Some of then? Which ones?

XshadowX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2010, 7:33 am

Child IQ 68, Not sure whats my adult IQ now.

yellowLedbetter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2010, 1:47 pm

Don't know what it was as a child, but I just took an online IQ test and it was 134. I've taken those online ones many times because I always forget what it is (ironic huh?) and it usually falls around that area. The lowest I ever got was 124 but that was only one time. My brother is HFA and has an IQ of like 128 - he's 11. I don't really think it's too accurate of an intelligence measurement, the questions I had were pretty basic and kind of wierd.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 4:13 pm

My 5 yr old son scored 65 on his IQ test which is borderline mentally ret*d. I started this same thread about a month ago because I was so concerned. My son is definitely not mentally ret*d. He is highly verbal, he was potty trained at 4 yrs old. He feeds himself, gets food out of the refrigerator for himself. He knows all of his letters and the sounds of all of them and knows all of his numbers. While I am not saying my child is highly intelligent or anything, I KNOW he is not mentally ret*d. So, I have given up on worrying about this. My son's brain is developing at a different rate than other children. He has been delayed in all of his milestones, but he finally gets there. I just feel like testing his IQ at age 4 was a complete waste of time. I will keep my eye very closely on this because I will not allow him to be placed in classes that are not going to be in his best interest. My son also has ADHD symptoms and dyspraxia which I think was a factor on the test.

My advice is to just keep focusing on your daughter's strength and help her develop as best she can, and don't worry about that IQ test.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 4:58 pm

Mumofsweetautiegirl wrote:
Hi there,

My daughter is 5 years old and has autism. She recently did her first IQ test and the result was an IQ of 80. I'd hoped it would be a little higher than this but I've also heard that the first IQ test is to be taken as a benchmark and that IQ can change as people grow up.

So I was wondering whether any of you had your IQs tested as a child and how do they compare to your IQs now that you're an adult? Has your IQ changed since you were a child?

Thanks,
Laura

I was tested at the age of four before I entered kindergarten at a University Health Sciences Center. The people who tested me said they didn't assign numbers to kids as young as me. I tested in the superior range and my mother was totally elated and told often told anyone who listened the people giving the tests were so impressed., they regretted not using me as a case study.
I think my IQ was higher at the age of four :(. It seems like I was better at everything before I started school, most especially math. My mother said I could count really high at an early age and enjoyed numbers.

darkolove
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2012, 2:32 pm

I have an IQ of 179 (I recently took an IQ Test). I am 13 years old. Your child is not abnormal or mentally ret*d. She merely falls into the above average category, like many people who have Aspergers.

BenPritchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2012, 4:50 pm

I'm sure I scored a 115 or so when I was younger. Don't know what my current IQ is but I'm pretty sure it has increased rapidly with no intention of sounding arrogant.

FightingAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 2:42 am

Autism usually does better on different kind of testing I have read that IQ tests can make one underestimate the intelligence of a child with ASD.

I have ASD/Aspergers and was a bright kid. Then decided I was stupid as I could not pay attention and I have improved a lot since then.

So, to simplify, for me it was:

Smart
Dumb
Smart

I am hoping that knowing that I have ASD will benefit me. But I am sure I can change who I am all that easily.

Lacrimosa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2012, 4:08 am

At around ten years old, my IQ was 115. I later took the test at 16 years old. IQ is now 134.

I'll take it again in a few years time, and see if I've had any improvement. I can never stop thinking.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 4:45 am

I don't know about my score as a child. Tested when I was about 20 and got about 140. In another test got 150. My latest test was only 120 (age 40). :( I don't think I aged that much yet. It's mostly different test format. I have auditory processing problems and this test had lots of asking and answering verbally questions. All these tests were done in English, which I learned in adulthood.

On the other hand I'm certain a small child's IQ result is highly unreliable as kids develop at all different rates. I certainly hope my little son's IQ will be higher later. He tested 100 at 7 and all people who knew him said he's much brighter than that, he just couldn't get it out easily.

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2012, 5:26 am

I would think an IQ test of a 5 year old isn't relevant unless they are way outside the normal range which could indicate some possible developmental problems. It's a big test and could easily be negatively influenced by stress, distraction and poor time management. I would have thought a general learning ability would be more important - do they read well, write well, can do maths, have friends, speak well?

It's been shown time and time again that high IQ doesn't correlate to success. It seems that an IQ of about 125 is optimal in regards to real-life success.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 12:43 pm

130 now, and I think it was 130 then. Nothing changed.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

i was tested with 108 iq at around 8 years old

at 17 i was tested at 90 :/ but then again was going through depression at that time so that probably lowered the scores somewhat

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

My mother had my IQ tested when I was a child, possibly around the same time I was tested for Autism. My IQ is/was 180.

I was treated as 'highly gifted' but did horribly once out of elementary school. I went from Golden Child to Rebellious Teen without changing anything aside from outside stimuli. What my teachers and parents thought was pure laziness was actually a lack of understanding social cues, sensory processing difficulties, and an inability to grasp certain concepts that most NT's have little to no trouble with.

My favorite example is high school biology; I was failing overall, even though each of my test scores came back as A's. I simply did not understand the concept of filling out arduous packets of information for him when I could simply read the book, take the test, and pass. When it came time for finals, he told me that if I got an A on the final, he would pass me. I took the final, and got 109% on it - an A+. He failed me regardless, based on not being able to adapt my learning style to a way he found to be "correct."

I haven't taken an IQ test since then; I know I'm smart, and I don't want my image of myself to be skewed based on a number. My self-image is easily swayed by trivial things.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:11 pm

I have no idea what my IQ actually was as a child; I never was sent to be tested. But if I were to guess, I probably would have been given an even higher verbal IQ/vocabulary subtest score as a young child, as I believe I was hyperlexic. I definitely would have had a lower performance IQ and an even greater gap between my VIQ and my PIQ. My NVLD and visual-spatial deficits were downright abysmal in elementary school. I did not even have the ability to visualize spatial orientation in 3D or see painfully simple symmetry (e.g., a heart shape) until around age 12. I also used to lack almost any conception of differentiating left from right. While I still have directional confusion, it is nothing like how it was when I was a child.

For whatever reason, I have been able to gain certain visual-spatial skills since middle school, to the point where I have been able to take (and understand) organic chemistry and calculus. The only IQ test I ever took was at age 19, and my overall PIQ was 116. I shudder to think of what it would have been if I had been tested at age 9! :lol: I really do think I would have had a PIQ somewhere between 85 and 95 as a child.

Nash: Is there a difference?