Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

I have seen some nasty bullying even on this website over spelling and grammar. Yes, if you are writing for a university essay, for example, then spelling is important. This is not a MENSA board though, it is for people with autism--some of whom have high IQs and exceptional spelling, and others who may have accompanying learning disabilities. I think this is supposed to be a welcoming board, and it is a rather informal place. If you can understand a person's post and have something of value to contribute. If you cannot understand a person's post, you can politely ask them to clarify. A third option might be that you understand a person's post and have nothing of value to contribute (and bashing someone because of their spelling skills is not valuable!) in which case you can just bypass the discussion entirely. I think it is incredibly petty and rude to harrass someone repeatedly when they clearly have difficulty spelling.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

What kind of satisfaction do people get from calling someone else a troll? Perhaps it's the feeling of superiority. No one deserves to get made fun of for grammar issues, or spelling issues. :?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

I know I've said this before several times, but if I read something once and can't figure out what it says, I'm going to read it again. Eventually after a few minutes, if it doesn't make sense, it begins to bother me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:18 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
What kind of satisfaction do people get from calling someone else a troll? Perhaps it's the feeling of superiority. No one deserves to get made fun of for grammar issues, or spelling issues. :?

Troll is often misused online. I once was sarcastic about people calling poor spellers trolls and it turns out what I said was true because I was told that is what people do. Some people use poor spelling on purpose and poor grammar to piss people off so they think all poor spellers and people with poor grammar are trolls.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I know I've said this before several times, but if I read something once and can't figure out what it says, I'm going to read it again. Eventually after a few minutes, if it doesn't make sense, it begins to bother me.

When I come across posts that are poorly written, I tend to skip it. Rarely will I say anything about it.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 6:28 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I have seen some nasty bullying even on this website over spelling and grammar. Yes, if you are writing for a university essay, for example, then spelling is important. This is not a MENSA board though, it is for people with autism--some of whom have high IQs and exceptional spelling, and others who may have accompanying learning disabilities.

Your theory that people with high IQs are all good at spelling and grammar is not necessarily correct. A lot of people with high IQs are brilliant mathematicians, but not all excel at language. IQ tends to be more related to logical reasoning and mathematical ability, doesn't it? I'm not really sure, as I have never had my IQ tested. I suspect it's rather low, but grammar is one of my special interests. I do not consider myself "clever" or "intellectual" at all; just obsessed. :D

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2011, 6:32 pm

I am a bit of a spelling/grammar nazi. It bothers me to read posts with poor grammar and spelling. I can usually restrain myself from castigating someone for doing it though. I usually only do it if someone makes a post calling someone else stupid that contains spelling and grammar errors.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

all_white wrote:
Your theory that people with high IQs are all good at spelling and grammar is not necessarily correct.

I agree because that wasn't my theory at all. I never said all people with high IQs are good spellers. I said some here have high IQs and are exceptionally good spellers. I should have been more clear, but a general rule for me is that what I write is what I mean. If I had meant all people with high IQs are good spellers, I would have written that out. I am well aware some people with high IQs are poor spellers, just like some are poor at math and other things. My point, which was obviously missed and is partly my fault as well, was that there are people here on both ends: some of whom have high IQs and are good spellers (I specified this because that is what we were talking about--we weren't discussing math) and some of who have some learning challenges (I was purposefully using both extremes!) I still believe in what I said. I also agree with what you said; the meaning of my post was lost likely as a result of your interpretation as well as my lack of clarity due to thinking that everyone must automatically realize that if I intend to imply something, I will write it out as stated above.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 2:04 am

I'm pretty lax when it comes to spelling and grammar, but sometimes things people post are so mangled that I can't figure out what they are trying to say. What I don't is why said people don't use spell check, any modern browser has it built-in and while not perfect it does help.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 6:45 am

I hope my use of language is not so horrendous, apart form some annoying mistakes and unsolicited content. :wink:

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:01 am

I am obsessed with grammar. When people use improper grammar in their conversations, it's like grinding nails on a chalkboard. I feel an intense need to correct people when they make grammatical errors. I guess it's the Aspie thing.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 7:12 am

MooCow wrote:
What I don't is why said people don't use spell check, any modern browser has it built-in and while not perfect it does help.

Sure, it helps. It helps an awful lot. ;)

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Problem: Spell checkers check spelling. They don't check context.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 9:36 am

^ I love that poem! It makes me laugh every time.

I am usually not too bad with my spelling... Grammar... not so sure. I do, however, have a friend who has dyslexia so I wouldn't dream of pointing out someone's mistakes on the internet, especially on this site. People come here looking for friends, people that they can relate to. It is wrong to pick on people's spelling and grammar problems. Just because some people are lazy, doesn't mean all bad spellers are lazy.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

Jellybean wrote:
^ I love that poem! It makes me laugh every time.

I am usually not too bad with my spelling... Grammar... not so sure. I do, however, have a friend who has dyslexia so I wouldn't dream of pointing out someone's mistakes on the internet, especially on this site. People come here looking for friends, people that they can relate to. It is wrong to pick on people's spelling and grammar problems. Just because some people are lazy, doesn't mean all bad spellers are lazy.

Agreed, but the reverse is also true: just because some people are dyslexic doesn't mean all bad spellers are dyslexic, either.

I don't think "lazy" is the right word to use. Laziness implies that the person in question knows the right way to do something but can't be bothered. I don't think that is the case. Some offenders are simply ignorant or poorly educated in that area. Others simply don't care. Their obsessions lie elsewhere, and they really couldn't care less if they're writing properly or not, as long as they are understood.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

all_white: Great brain-teaser to me! And fun, thanks!