Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 2:40 pm

I've noticed some people who are on the spectrum seems to have pretty poor spelling and poor grammar but what I find unfair and pretty upsetting is the fact that they get bullied for it and I've seen it on social networking sites like bebo and I even had this person who had bad grammar and spelling and was on the spectrum getting severely bullied online to the point where he just don't want to live anymore.

On the forums (I've seen it on here too), people tend to bully a person who's spelling is really poor and immediately accuse them of being a troll which I think is really sad and unfair again just because they got bad spelling and grammar, it doesn't MEAN that the person is a troll or a bad person, it just means they have a hard time spelling and using the right grammars.

Why should grammar and spelling change anything on the internet? Even know it can be frustrating to try read it and understand it but its like more pressure for them since they are finding it extremely difficult just to even type.

Of course grammar and spelling is very important when it comes to job interviews and exams or whatever, but at the end of the day, they're trying to fit in.

That is pretty much all I got to say.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 2:46 pm

Not much to do but agree. I've noticed a tendency towards bad grammar from people on the spectrum. I spent a lot of time teaching myself better grammar, syntax, punctuation etc, I did not pick it up naturally.

Some of my dearest friends have appalling spelling and grammar, but I forgive it.

Sadly, some will judge you on such things. And sadly, having poor skills in this area can be a barrier to employment, school etc.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 2:47 pm

I have seen it elsewhere too. They get called trolls.

I said on another forum "do people seriously think someone does poor spelling and grammar on purpose to piss people off and make fun of us" and surprisingly I got a response saying people do actually do that so it makes it harder for them to know who is learning disabled and who isn't.

I have never seen anyone do that honestly.

I do admit on a AB/DL forum, you can easily mistake poor spelling as baby talk not even realizing someone has a disability. I have done that before. That's where I actually said those words.

But it still pisses me off when they get called trolls, especially on here.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2010, 3:00 pm

Gosh I must agree wit you, I read it English ok, me writing how ever is no good.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:03 pm

:roll:
Having HFA or Asperger's Syndrome does not impair your ability to understand basic spelling and grammar. Conditions like dyslexia can coexist with autism. The higher-functioning autism in itself does not make one unwilling/unable to read a grammar textbook, so I ask that you do not say 'many autistic people have bad grammar'. It makes it seem as if the autistic people who have bad grammar have it because they're autistic.
But, I digress...
I am absolutely, 100% fine with people who try their best to be as clear and as articulate as they possibly can, but
win u get teh ppl liek this
who are just too lazy to actually sound relatively intelligible, is when I feel somewhat irked.

Last edited by jmnixon95 on 15 Sep 2010, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:04 pm

It also angers me that people with bad spelling and grammar are mistaken, as trolls. There have been lots of times, that a lot of people weren't taken seriously, and they were attacked, because of their less than perfect spelling and grammar. There was even a member who started a thread about pet peaves. He was ranting about bad spelling and grammar. I've posted in his thread, that worrying about my spelling and grammar every time I make a post, is my pet peave.

UnderINK
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2010, 3:04 pm

I don't know. I haven't noticed this tendency. I don't think high functioning autism has much to do with spelling ability. I know some people with Aspergers that spell badly because they just don't feel like typing everything out, I know some that just can't spell or spell phonetically, and then again, most people with AS that I know spell perfectly well. I think this aspect is the same as neurotypicals. I mean you see NTs spell like "h r u 2day? ya im fne", whereas I'm on the spectrum and I'm spelling immaculately. It may be that some on the spectrum may not be obsessive with spelling and grammar while others absolutely are.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:11 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
Having HFA or Asperger's Syndrome does not impair your ability to understand basic spelling and grammar. Conditions like dyslexia can coexist with autism.

Sorry to forget that HFA or Aspergers shouldn't really affect the way somebody is spelling, I was thinking more like the lower end of the spectrum, I know a few who has very good writing and grammar skills and is indeed non-verbal or just selective when they want to talk.

But dyslexia could mostly be the problem, but still, what I'm trying to say should make sense about some of the things I said.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:15 pm

UnderINK wrote:
I don't know. I haven't noticed this tendency. I don't think high functioning autism has much to do with spelling ability. I know some people with Aspergers that spell badly because they just don't feel like typing everything out, I know some that just can't spell or spell phonetically, and then again, most people with AS that I know spell perfectly well. I think this aspect is the same as neurotypicals. I mean you see NTs spell like "h r u 2day? ya im fne", whereas I'm on the spectrum and I'm spelling immaculately. It may be that some on the spectrum may not be obsessive with spelling and grammar while others absolutely are.

I don't think the OP was talking about text talk. I find that annoying when they do it on forums. I just skip their posts. Same as when someone has poor spelling and grammar and if it's so bad and hard to read, I skip it no offense to them. I figure they may have a learning disability and I don't say anything about it or get mean with them about it or even call them trolls.

What else bugs me is when people make a big deal out of typos and make a joke about it or play dumb. I mean use some common sense when you read posts. If someone spells liek, it's obviously like. You can tell what a word is supposed to say just by how it's used in a sentence.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:17 pm

There's a stereotype that people with Asperger's Syndrome have impeccable grammar and spelling, but it would appear that it can go either extreme just like most things with autism. I do not like lazy typing, which is "2", "R", "y?" etc. I'd like to think that I don't criticize someone on their ability to formulate sentences adhering to correct English but I will say that I do not read or I simply skim posts that are text-walls or are written so poorly it's not worth the stress of reading.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 3:25 pm

I haven't noticed this being a big problem, either. I have virtually no formal education to my name so if I make grammatical mistakes, I am oblivious to it. I learned how to write mostly from reading and my memorization skills. There are many reasons why a person may not write perfectly, including that it may not being something very important to them.

judyfox
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2010, 8:25 am

gosh no the thread can't die, we need to get the world about bullying. thank you sir.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Sep 2010, 10:25 am

I've always found that HFA and Asperger's people have better spelling and grammar skills than the NT public at large. In fact, if you browse this forum alongside most any other forum, you may notice a huge difference. In some of the motocross forums, the grammar and spelling can be so bad, that it's painful to read. I see most people here at WP, using very good writing skills.

Charles

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 5:40 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I've always found that HFA and Asperger's people have better spelling and grammar skills than the NT public at large. In fact, if you browse this forum alongside most any other forum, you may notice a huge difference. In some of the motocross forums, the grammar and spelling can be so bad, that it's painful to read. I see most people here at WP, using very good writing skills.
Charles

Well actually I don't personally know anyone on the spectrum so I can only talk about myself. I usually memorise the spelling of a word the first time I see it and I don't usually forget it. This goes for all languages I know (four, so far, two of which I learned all by myself).
Most NTs I know have poor spelling and truly horrible writing styles and they don't even try to do better. I know that this does not make anyone a bad person, but to be honest, I find it's pathetic for a grown-up.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 12:12 am

i have fantastic grammar and spelling skills but i don't utilize them on the internet. why? because the more you think about grammar, the less your thoughts actually flow out smoothly. that's why in english class they tell you to write about anything you want until you have an idea for a paper. THEN you worry about the grammar. i also don't spend a lot of times on forums anymore so the faster i can put out a post; the better.

i'm also already pushed enough to get a's on all of my papers so why should i have to put out posts that are free of grammatical errors as well? sorry but i don't care if it's hard or easy for people to read them. i post because it's relaxing, and not to please others.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 4:28 am

Superboyian - I understand your concerns although as kx250rider I too would rate this forum as above average when it comes to spelling and grammar. Didn't see much bullying about it either - which doesn't mean it's not happening.

On the other hand it's very easy to use a spell-checker - wouldn't this resolve a lot of problems for both sides?

Don't forget that not all of us here are native English speakers. For instance, I ended up avoiding all the threads made by a WP member who's grammar was so broken, that most of the times I really couldn't figure what the posts were actually trying to say. It can be quite frustrating, but I never complained about it as I know it upsets people.