Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mewtwo55555
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2010, 1:17 pm

I was wondering has anyone had any luck with getting medicaid to cover diapers for an adult? also would medicaid be able to cover another person like my boyfirend who is not disabled could i put him under my coverage?

Thanks

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:31 pm

I assume this is for a medical reason?

I hear of medicaid covering for diapers but they usually offer the cheap kind that aren't very good and as absorbent so people who do need them have to pay out of their own pocket for better diapers when they can afford it in their budget.

mewtwo55555

30 Sep 2010, 2:48 pm

Do you know if they would help pay for more expencive ones at all like ocver half the cost of the more expecive ones? Also what about my boyfriend?

Thanks

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 2:52 pm

I don't have any clue.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 5:29 pm

Take your questions to your Medicaid caseworker...that is why they sit in their county offices all day.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 5:33 pm

I think you may unfortunately have to go through the bureaucracy of Medicaid to ask that question... they probably gave you an information line when you got signed up, right? Should be in your files. If you're in a Medicaid managed care plan kind of thing (where they kind of transfer you to another insurance company) then you'll have to call them.

Basically, non-disabled people qualify for Medicaid based on income. I think the limit is something like $10k per year for one person--close to the federal poverty limit, anyway--and a little more for a family of two, three, etc.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 6:00 am

I had to Google Medicaid to see it is the USA health program. My diapers are supplied [here] by the NHS and have always been for free right through my life. I think this shows the stark differences in healthcare between here and other countries. As a general rule, you would think that any diagnosed disabilty that required equipment or accessories to help a person cope, should be funded by the state. Just my thoughts...

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 1:46 pm

You cannot add someone to your Medicaid benefits. I work for a software company that makes software for billing insurance claims. The patient relationship to the insured must always be "self" when billing a claim to Medicaid. And there is no deviation in this rule between states. Medicaid is a last resort insurance; it's not like having a commercial insurance where you can add people and pay extra. Children with parents that receive Medicaid get their own policy and don't file under the parent's.