Does anyone else have trouble changing diapers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Binabusymom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Oct 2010, 10:59 pm

One of the most challenging things I have to do is change diapers. My toddlers flips over and around the change table and I lose track of arms and legs. I put half there cloths on and they end up taking it off when I'm trying to focus my eyes on the diaper or other there clothing to put on.
They also seem to babble a high pitch alot more when I change them that makes me freeze up.
My 1 year old son likes to kick me in the face and makes me jump and he thinks this is funny and giggles every time I jump.
I seem to take twice as long as other people to change a diaper.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 4:03 am

My son was a real wriggler when he was getting his nappy (diaper) changed and would sometimes scream long and loud in protest.

I had a routine for nappy changing which made things easier, and I kept everything I needed in a change box.

Before I started I made sure I had everything laid out and within easy reach. I made sure that anything that needed two hands to open or unfasten had already been opened/unfastened before I started.

To stop him wriggling or kicking, I held his ankles in one hand, and raised his legs up to give me easy access. He did wriggle, and it wasn't always easy to hold him, but it was the only way I could manage it, and it did mean it was over much more quickly.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 6:19 am

My experience has been to make these dull and boring times into fun, for example the child needs to have something else to focus on, whether it's a toy or whatever, anything that gets their focus away from you where you have that precious one minute [lol on average :P ] to fix a fresh nappy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 6:52 am

Not really. I've had a lot of practice.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

03 Oct 2010, 7:10 am

Not really. I'm 19 and my sister is nearly 17 and due to childhood epilepsy (and subsequent brain damage) she is still in nappies/diapers. I've been changing her for years when my mother is out, and occasionally get it the wrong way round and have to rotate it, but she thinks it's all funny. It's only hard when she doesn't want it because if she doesn't, she puts up a proper fight (and strong 16 year olds can't half fight - when home from university I often have to help my mother). It's got to the point when people say they're going to be 'taught' to change nappies that I get surprised but I guess that's just because it's so normal for me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 11:17 am

Suggest you change your kids' diapers on the floor instead of on a changing table--that way you can just get at them from any angle you like. It's easier.

I changed my baby sister's diapers when I was a teen. I used to hold my breath, so I got good at doing it fast. It's only so long until you have to breathe! :lol: When she was really little I'd put down one of those bed-wetting pad things on the big bed and change her on that; after that, the floor. Also, it helps to do it the same way every time, and if you use cloth diapers (my family did) to have them pre-folded and to stick the ends of the diaper pins into a block of soap (they slide through the diaper easier because the soap makes them slippery).

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com