Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2006, 3:15 pm

I went to see the Da Vinci Code last Saturday and I really liked it, I reckon they did well to cram so much information into one film.

I'm off to see X Men 3 this weekend and Im looking forward to it as I really enjoyed watching the previous two.

Any X Men/Da Vinci Code fans out there?

cdmeyer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 May 2006, 7:26 pm

the da vinci code is full of lies....i have not nor will i see it...i am saddened by the hype this false piece of crap.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 May 2006, 8:12 pm

cdmeyer wrote:
the da vinci code is full of lies....i have not nor will i see it...i am saddened by the hype this false piece of crap.

Umm....

I think the da vinci code is supposed to be a *fiction* movie (ie not true) so why would it be true? Fiction is supposed to be false.

/me is confused

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 4:49 am

X-men 3!! !! !! !! !!WOOOOOOOOOOO!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! I wanna see it!

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 10:30 am

I have tickets to see X-Men on Saturday at 5:35 PM. I would have gone at the 12:01 showing Friday morning, but I have to work all day, and I needed the sleep. I am completely looking forward to watching it!

I liked the DaVinci Code as well, even if it "is full of lies." I guess I just can automatially separate fact from fiction and enjoy accordingly. Besides, it's a movie, it's entertainment...and I liked it well enough to watch it twice.

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 3:11 pm

I was waiting for X3!! Probably the only movie I'll go to all year. I rarely go, the last film I've seen was SW3, and I can't even remember the last time I went before that.

I kinda want to see the Da vinci code, but only because of the hype. I don't think it would have been nowhere near as popular as it is if the church didn't try to attack it. Heck, even the previews totally play on the controversy.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 3:53 pm

Here was my response to the Da Vinci Code:

"This won't be a full review--suffice to say that I liked it quite a bit (after all, it had Magneto, Dock Ock, and Amelie all in the same movie!), but was irked by one of the subtle changes they made. Most of it's pretty true to the source material, but there's a scene at the end (not the last scene, but the second to the last) that was added in that quite bothered me. The book had been much more of a "stick it to the Christian church" affair, which was one of the reasons why I liked it. But the film...well, there's a scene in which Robert starts talking to Sophie about how, when he fell down a well as a child (something that I don't remember being in the book either, actually), he prayed, and asks her why Jesus Christ couldn't have been both a father and a god. And then he even asks Sophie if she wants to "destroy religion, or renew it." It feels so out of place, especially when Sophie, who expressed her atheism earlier, now behaves as though she isn't so atheistic after all, even though the whole message the film had henceforth been getting across (the one that the book had had) had been decidedly anti-religion. It turns the film into two things: one, that same old "atheist finding faith" story that I'm so sick of (that's the reason why I didn't see "Emily Rose"--it apparently had that), and a message to Christians to be more open to new ideas, and while that second part is not a bad thing, it leaves everyone else out. A chunk of the people who liked the book are atheists and agnostics, and I've heard many have really disliked the film, and this addition is one of the few changes that's made apart from leaving out some unimportant historical theories. It's no wonder--that second to the last scene is borderline preachy, and that is so ironic in a film with subject matter as sacreligious as this. So, I really got pissed off at the movie at that point, but you know what? It's a small detail--a five minute scene in a two and a half hour movie. And I had a lot of fun with the rest of it (though "fun" doesn't exactly describe that really disturbing scene where Silas tortures himself), so I liked it. Great score, a great performance by Ian McKellan, fascinating subject matter, and (until the last fifteen minutes or so) great, fast pacing. But fans of the book had better beware the sh***y ending."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm really looking forward to seeing X3--I loved X-Men 1 and really liked X2, even though it didn't have that great feeling of loneliness that the first one had. However, I am very cautious because the early word has been quite mixed. Since I'm not a fan of the comics, I'm bound to enjoy it more than the average X-Men geek (since X3 rips the comic mythology apart, especially in regard to the Phoenix storyline, which is basically the Holy Grail of kickass Marvel stories, and which is apparently completely robbed of practically all coolness in X3). Basically, what I've heard is that it's a fun diversion, but it's not nearly as good as it could have been, but Fox and Tom Rothman (who hates X-Men) gave it only fifteen months to be completed. For a movie as big as X3, or an effects movie in general, fifteen months is barely any time at all! So the script was rushed, and now the movie is only an hour and a half, shorter than both previous X-films--and with a running time that short, it's apparent that most plot threads weren't be fully developed. So I'm going in with moderately low expectations in the hopes that, with these moderately low expectations, I'll be surprised to find the film to be some good fun despite its supposed mediocrety. Here's hoping it's a fun film.

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2006, 5:45 pm

Saw Da Vinci Code today. Having only read the first 12 chapters or so of the book (stopping after awhile just to "take a break" from it), I was dying to see this movie just to figure out the rest of the mystery. I have to admit, I thought this movie was tiresome and often boring. There were so many plot points it was very hard for me to follow. I'm kinda torn over whether to read the book again now. And IMO, I think people who believe it's all real obviously don't have a sense of fiction, even though I looked some of this stuff up on Wikipedia myself.

As for X-Men: The Last Stand, I'm probably going to wait for DVD. I enjoyed the first two movies, but considering all the stuff Brett Ratner wanted to do for this one, I'm going to pass for now. I'm personally waiting for Cars and Superman Returns to come out.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 8:09 pm

jstrewth wrote:
As for X-Men: The Last Stand, I'm probably going to wait for DVD. I enjoyed the first two movies, but considering all the stuff Brett Ratner wanted to do for this one, I'm going to pass for now. I'm personally waiting for Cars and Superman Returns to come out.

Ratner actually wasn't the problem--I've heard he did a good job emulating Bryan Singer as a director. The major problems were apparently more related to the script and the lack of time.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 8:11 pm

cdmeyer wrote:

You're confusing "lies" with "wild, loosely founded speculation."
The DaVinci Code is meant to entertain them and make them consider unusual theories, that's all.
It is NOT meant to change or attack anyone's religious beliefs.
I find it interesting that when a book movie contains inaccurate perceptions or wild theories about Christianity, more than half of North America's Christian population storms the writers' or directors' gates with torches and pitchforks (figuratively speaking), but when a movie contains inaccurate perceptions or wild theories about Judaism, Wicca, Buddhism, Hinduism, most of the people of those aforementioned religions (at least within the United States) are relatively nice and calm about it.
The only other religions I can think of that take entertainment regarding their religion that seriously are Scientology and the more extremist sects of Islam.
I think that says something about a lot of the Christians in this country.

Last edited by Yupa on 27 May 2006, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 3:37 am

From what I've heard of the DaVinci code, it combines parts of several conspiracy theories, which could not actually be possible.

Some people have suggested this is an Illumanti conspiracy to make accusations of an Illumanti conspiracy look less plausible.

:P

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2006, 11:18 am

Without going into too many spoilers I found the X-Men III movie to be an eerie reflection of our own condition. Is it a disease that needs to be cured or just something that makes someone different?

The movie was great, plenty of explosions, character interaction and poignant moments, but I missed my favorite Hank McCoy: The erudite with the multisylabic words. The use of mulitgenerational costumes was a nice touch as well. Finally it wins my award for funnyist chase scene ever. All in all a must see. :D

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 3:51 pm

CDRhom wrote:
Without going into too many spoilers I found the X-Men III movie to be an eerie reflection of our own condition. Is it a disease that needs to be cured or just something that makes someone different?

That is EXACTLY why I like the X-Men so much!

I finally saw X-Men today, and it was so awesome! Actually, it was way too short, and I could have handled a lot more of the fighting. But I thought it was definitely a see-again film, so I will probably see it again next week sometime. Right now, I am enjoying it in my head---having a kind of eidetic memory comes in very handy!

Last edited by dexkaden on 27 May 2006, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 6:49 pm

Okay, so I just saw it and wrote my review...here it is:

The story of "X-Men 3's" production is perhaps even more interesting than the story for the film itself, and it explains a bit, so I'm going to discuss that for a moment.

Each of the classic Marvel superhero properties appeals to the average geek in some way, and that's why superhero films are considered "geeky" films. Spidey's a total looser who's got a complete fixation on one girl even though he can't friggin' talk to her. Hulk can't control his rage, but somehow is able to use it to both save the world and blow s**t up. Daredevil is severely disabled but uses what he DOES have to save the world...or at least beat the s**t out of bad guys. And the Fantastic 4...yeah, I can't really figure out what's up with them, because they're all about being a family and geeks don't really get along well with their families most of the time. And then you have the X-Men, who are lonely outcasts, hated and scorned by the rest of the world because they're different. X-Men have had a much stabler transition to the screen than the average Marvel hero, with two films that have been widely loved by fans of kickass movies and the comic book geeks alike. Hell, the first "X-Men" film made superhero movies cool again, and sparked Marvel to come out with a flawed but still pretty great "Spider-Man" series, as well as more hated adaptations like "Hulk" (which in my opinion is the best, most mature superhero movie ever made, but it's hated by most everyone else) and "Daredevil" (which might've been great if the story was better, and Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner weren't so terrible, or just hadn't been brought in as the leads). "X2: X-Men United" is considered by many to be near-perfrect. Personally, I liked the first one a bit better because X2 lost that great feeling of loneliness, that feeling that almost everyone else in the world hates you and the only people who don't are those who are as f****d up as you are. As both an aspie and a semi-goth (not to lable myself, but let's face it, it's true--complete with the near-constant depression, black outfits, and love of Tim Burton movies), that was something I could really relate to. Plus, Storm forgot to use her accent after the first one. But, then, I never read the comics so I wasn't as pissed off about the liberties taken in the original.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from "X3." I really liked the trailers for it, but the rumors of a troubled production (a lot of director changes after Bryan Singer, who directed the first two, bowed out to direct "Superman Returns"), an awful script review, and the discontent about the choice for the guy who wound up being the new director (Brett Ratner, who directed "Money Talks," "Red Dragon," and the "Rush Hour" films), not to mention Tom Rothman's vile influence, had made everyone pretty skeptic. Rothman, a Fox executive who hates X-Men even more than Mick LeSalle (if you've read the San Francisco Chronicle's reviews for the "X-Men" movies then you know what I'm talking about--they're all negative, and usually the reasons given sounds a bit like anti-mutant prejudice), had tried messing up the first "X-Men" as much as possible, and was apparently furious when it wound up not being that bad at all. I don't know how "X2" got away from his filthy paws, but "X3" apparently didn't. Rothman reportedly was responsible for limiting the budget and giving the film only 15 months to be completed--15 months for ALL of it. 15 months to write and rewrite the script, shoot the picture, and do the extensive effects work. In the hands of the man who directed "Red Dragon." And then came the reviews, which were mixed. Anyone who was a fan of the comics, it seemed, hated the film's guts to no end. See, while the main plot of the film focuses on a cure for mutants, one of the sub-plots is based on the famous Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix story arc--well, okay, not really. More like, you have Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix but no other elemts from comic story arc. Here's the thing: the Dark Phoenix story arc isn't just a classic Marvel storyline. It's more like THE classic Marvel storyline. It's the comic fanboy holy grail. It's apparently completely epic, combining entire planets being destroyed with all the hallmarks of a Shakespearian classic and all the hallmarks of a superhero comic classic. And not only does "X3" apparently completely desecrate this source material, it makes it impossible for any future X-Men films to do that story, either.

Well...with all that in mind...I really, really, really, really really liked what I saw of "X-Men 3." The Last Stand? Pssh. More like, "One scene of completely awesome superhero powers after another." Now, I saw "what I saw" because of what happened about an hour in. We were in the middle of a scene that was a critical character moment, a critical story moment, and a big action sequence. Awesome stuff was starting to happen...Jean Grey was being all evil, and Professor X was trying to convince her not to be even as Magneto's interrupting him, while Wolvie is starting to fight Juggernaut...oh, man, you just know that this scene's going to be so f*****g awesome...and then...and then...

The screen went black. We could HEAR what was going on--a lot of sounds of destruction, claws, etc.--but we couldn't SEE a thing. This went on for about two minutes, and then the sounds stopped and the lights went on. People looked up at where the projection was coming from, yelling for a rewind. Well...there was no rewind. The film resumed, the lights dimed, and yet it was clear that it had picked up AFTER the two minutes or so that we'd missed. No rewind. f**k! But we watched anyway, content that we'd almost undoubtedly get our money back. And you know what? I almost forgot that it happened at all until the movie was over. My anger at the projectionist faded as the film played on, because it was just so much damn fun. All the time, there were great details--character bits like Wolverine using a piece of flaming junk to light his cigar, effects bits like characters disintegrating and water droplets rising off of leaves due to telekinesis, and general awesomeness all around. It's a true testament to how cool this film is that I had a really enjoyable time at the movies even despite the fact that I missed a few minutes of the film. What put the icing on the cake was that we got all our money back--so, basically, my brother and I had a really fun time at the movies for free.

I'll even go so far to say that in a way, this is my favorite of the "X-Men" films. Yes, it's not nearly as good as it could have been had it actually followed the Dark Phoenix story. Yes, it's plot and characters aren't developed as well as they could have been. Yes, the film's pacing is at times too fast. Yes, there is some camera-shaking during the big end battle. And yes, the script goes crazy with character deaths without ever making any of them have any real emotional impact. But you know what? I don't care that much--the film basically comprises of one extremely cool scene (or at the very least, one extremely cool detail after another), leaving no room for fat. It's entertainment--not without some substance but focusing mainly on being fun as all hell. And it is fun as all hell. I'm definately buying this one.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 7:49 pm

Been to see X Men 3 tonight and I loved it and thats all Im saying cos I dont want to spoil it for anyone who wants to see it.

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2006, 11:12 pm

The X-Men 3 script had some problems, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Spoilers and comments about it in my blog.