Asperger's, Autism, and Social Security Disability (Poll)

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you on Social Security Disability (SSI or SSD)?
Yes, because of Asperger's only 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Yes, because of Asperger's plus other conditions 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Yes, because of High Functioning Autism only 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Yes, because of HFA plus other conditions 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, because of ASD only 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, because of ASD plus other conditions 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
No - I applied and couldn't get it 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
No - I never applied 63%  63%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 82

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Never applied but told I should for my migraines (in an insulting manner). Haven't looked into it. I don't feel like I can really say I can't work, I just have a really hard time finding a job that works for me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
No I did not get approved, probably because I don't have an official diagnoses of the AS or anything else I guess, though I have multiple issues.....but yeah I guess that diagnoses is important, kind of hard to get when you cant afford it and then get denied for SSI so have no way to afford to get the diagnoses.

I don't remember - did you get one denial and stop or did you file for reconsideration and then move on to an appeal?

You do have PTSD and depression as diagnoses? A friend of mine who has those two in addition to ADHD and AS got approved on the basis of the first two and didn't even get diagnosed with the last two until after they were on SSI.

Quote:
uhh maybe if they actually sceduled an actual appointment not a 5 minute BS session with some guy who does not even know what AS is and really does not give a crap if you get approved or not people who need a little help could get some.

For now though I am intelligent so I can get financial aid for college.......its only going to work for so long though, I just have not decided what else to do yet.

This kind of thing is a big problem too - who does the evaluation. I know one person who got a full neuropsychological evaluation courtesy of SSA because the person who handled his application felt he was in definite need of help. Meanwhile, the first person to handle my application decided I could do repetitive menial work so no go.

Now I'm up to appeal and I'll be seeing my attorney in three weeks. After that I'll hopefully be getting things set up for a more complete evaluation than I've had so far.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

I am on disability but it is not because of AS, so there was no option for me in the poll. I've had mental problems for about 5 years now. I think I get around 500€ a month? Mehh, I'm not sure and I can't be arsed to look it up just for the sake of this thread.

Sectumsempra
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2011, 10:03 pm

I applied for disability, I don't get a lot, but it only took 2 weeks to get everything confirmed for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 10:36 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
No I did not get approved, probably because I don't have an official diagnoses of the AS or anything else I guess, though I have multiple issues.....but yeah I guess that diagnoses is important, kind of hard to get when you cant afford it and then get denied for SSI so have no way to afford to get the diagnoses.

I don't remember - did you get one denial and stop or did you file for reconsideration and then move on to an appeal?

You do have PTSD and depression as diagnoses? A friend of mine who has those two in addition to ADHD and AS got approved on the basis of the first two and didn't even get diagnosed with the last two until after they were on SSI.

Quote:
uhh maybe if they actually sceduled an actual appointment not a 5 minute BS session with some guy who does not even know what AS is and really does not give a crap if you get approved or not people who need a little help could get some.

For now though I am intelligent so I can get financial aid for college.......its only going to work for so long though, I just have not decided what else to do yet.

This kind of thing is a big problem too - who does the evaluation. I know one person who got a full neuropsychological evaluation courtesy of SSA because the person who handled his application felt he was in definite need of help. Meanwhile, the first person to handle my application decided I could do repetitive menial work so no go.

Now I'm up to appeal and I'll be seeing my attorney in three weeks. After that I'll hopefully be getting things set up for a more complete evaluation than I've had so far.

I got denied once and decided not to appeal because i did not think I could handle all the stress involved with that on top of going to college.....and considering I really don't have any official diagnoses I figured they would still deny me anyways.

I know I have PTSD, Depression and AS but I don't have an officially signed document...just the symptoms and a therapist I was going to agreed that I had all those as well as I fit all the symptoms. I just really have no idea what to even do in that situation so I am just trying to do without it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

If it becomes an issue again the the future, check your state agencies that provide family and adult assistance, as they might be able to help you get medical care so you can get diagnoses, get evaluated, etc.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:39 pm

Verdandi wrote:
If it becomes an issue again the the future, check your state agencies that provide family and adult assistance, as they might be able to help you get medical care so you can get diagnoses, get evaluated, etc.

Yes but what wuld the conditions be...lol I wish I could just trust that sort of thing but I am always worried about giving state agencies or whatever any power in my life. I mean I even get paranoid about having college loans even though its not like they sit there and question you if you withdraw cash from the ATM and they don't know what the cash was used for or anything.

typing-with-mittens
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2011, 12:29 am

I've applied but it hasn't been decided.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:17 am

Don't have it - never applied, don't plan to.

I do not have a formal Dx of anything other than depression. While I have issues consistent with AS and with ADHD, and I am convinced that these issues have prevented me from advancing at work, they do not prevent me from working.

Even with my executive function issues, I have been able to do good work at every job I've had - from dishwasher, busboy and janitor, to owner of a retail store and web developer. My inability to understand and play office politics or schmooze the boss, however, has prevented me from EVER getting a promotion at any job - even when the boss agreed that I was the best qualified for the promotion. :cry:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

I worked 2 jobs for 9 years each. The first one was at a resteraunt I was listed as a part time employee but they made me have fulltime responsibilities and hours. My co-workers made it their mission to torment me everyday and my boss was determined to keep me part time because he could get someone who does their job correctly at the pay rate of a part time employee's pay rate while his full time employees came in when they wanted to and fooled around all day. :roll: I quit after having enough of their horsesh!t.

My second 9 year job was at a machine shop they did not treat me as badly as the resteraunt did but I was always made fun of. Worked there for 5 years without a pay raise I asked for one but they always gave me some excuse for not giving me one. It was not until one of the NT employees spoke up for me. I finally got a pay raise when he saw me filling out a job application for Mighty Taco who paid the same amount I was making at the machine shop except the work area was safe and clean. So they gave in giving me $9.00/hr and they acted like I raped them for it it took another two years for $1.00 MORE. I almost died working at that job. They had me working in this quiet backroom for the first five years WITH NO PROBLEMS then they moved me into the main work area for safety reasons. I had to work around loud vibrating machines that caused my anxiety to spike constantly all day. I was a nervous wreck all day long. I was getting sicker and sicker then finally I was throwing up water after a year of blood pressure spikes caused by my anxiety. It turned out I had undiagnosed high blood pressure and was having congestive heart failure. Switching work areas caused me so much anxiety and being around those machines caused my extremely high blood pressure to damage my heart and kidneys.

Every job I have worked the employees treated me like trash and the bosses did what they could to keep me down so they would not have to give me a pay raise regardless of me doing a good job and never coming in late. I am sick of being treated like a subhuman. I am going to apply for SSDI it is not worth working and being sh!t on at everyjob. My last job almost killed me just by moving me into a different work environment. A combination of my extreme blood pressure and anxiety is slowly doing damage to me just being around people. I don't think I could do it again starting a new job having to deal with new people and a different boss then on top of all that having to deal with my anxiety and hgh blood pressure.

renemain
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

I applied and it took me 6 months to get approved. I'm in the United States. I get $934 a month based on how much money I've earned and put into social security. I've never been able to hold a job longer than a year and I am about 33 years old.