PES 2011 Vs. FIFA 2011 football/soccer fans choose one

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

raul693
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2010, 9:10 pm

I just wanted to know your opinion about these two football games, personally I've always preferred PES since I played it for the first time, however, PES 2010 (Xbox 360) let me down, so this year I decided to try FIFA 2011 after reading the fantastic reviews the 2010 has and the even better reviews for the 2011 edition. I must say I'm disappointed, I've read FIFA 2011 "is the best football simulator ever" but this game fails to recreate the experience of playing the beautiful game, don't get me wrong, FIFA is by no means a bad game, but it's still a an arcade football/soccer game, while player movement, ball physics, controls and presention are all great, the feel of the game is pure arcade, you will find yourself attacking your opponent all game long, it's like FIFA developers didn't considerate that there are different ways to play the game, every opponent you play in FIFA feels the same, no matter the difficulty level, they're easy to attack (I think they tried to make a balance by making scoring a little harder), and I think that the AI forbids the opposing team from passing backwards, I mean I love attacking football, but it's ridiculous to think that they NEVER pass the ball back.

Anyway, I haven't bought PES 2011 (Will do ASP), but I think if PES 2010 were up against FIFA 2011 this would be my scoreline:

Graphics: Tie, why? The style is different for each game but both look amazing, one downside for FIFA is that the player names on their shirts look very strange in the game, PES 2010 was slightly inferior but 2011 has way better graphics. You might prefer FIFA's Rooney, but also recognize that PES Aguero is better, so it's a tie.

Editing and Strategy: PES, why? Obviously because PES has no licenses they make an extra effort with their editing option. Regarding strategy FIFA is no match for PES, FIFA is very limited strategy wise.

Player Movement: FIFA, why? The feel of any move with FIFA is great, it's probably the best aspect of this game, player collision feel and look real (except for the occasional odd looking clash), dribbling feel great, the impact of players size is also good, basically anything regarding the movement is just perfect. PES 2010 was pathetic next to FIFA in this aspect, player movement just never felt real, 2011 improves on this, but I haven't tried it.

Overall gameplay: PES, why? Ask any football fan, any hardcore football fan, and they will say they prefer PES, most professional players like PES better and I don't doubt coaches do too. Even the 2010 version of PES that was pretty mediocre in almost every aspect still has that real football feel. Bottom line PES is a sim game, FIFA is arcade, whoever says the contrary has no love for the game.

Goal-keepers: Tie, why? They both suck! Keeper AI is unpredictable, and not in a good sense. While keeper mistakes bring certain realism to the game, keeper stupidity is frustrating, scoring a goal from outside the box with a low power shot that seems to go to the hands of the keeper is not good, on both games you can see appreciate that the keeper sometimes just doesn't seem to wanna catch the ball. Keep in mind that I don't ask for perfection, I just think none of the two companies can presume any accomplishments on this field.

Presentation: FIFA, why? They have almost every license, they have more stadiums, they have awesome looking uniforms (except for the disgusting looking player names), and they also do a very good job with menus, music and stadium atmosphere. PES tries hard every year (kudos on getting Copa Libertadores, I can finally play with my beloved Caracas FC) to get more licenses, and yes they have Champions League and Europa League, but playing an official Champions League Match with North East London is just weird. The menus look good and the music ain't bad. Regarding commentators none of them are good.

Overall: Tie (But I prefer PES) It really depends what kind of game you're looking for, FIFA is for kids 6-15 and football amateurs, but anybody who loves and knows football will find FIFA's football experience fake. They both haver their ups and downs so I declare a tie, but beware, they are both incredibly different.

Which one do you prefer and why?