Whats the difference between social anxiety and aspergers?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 6:40 pm

Supernova008 wrote:
ambroseboy wrote:
I have Aspergers yet I am extremley outgoing. I lvoe getting up in front of the class and meeting new people. But i just cannot look someone in the eyes. I do know other Aspergers people who hate talking to others and social speaking. Whereas I like it, i think i like the attention (because maybe i feel taht no-one cares for me and ,ike it when someone talks tome0.

Since when do Aspies love meeting new people?

Since when were social impairment and misanthropy synonymous?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 2:21 am

evilduck wrote:
Supernova008 wrote:

Hear hear

Good point I'm on holidays at the moment and I tent for that very reason though it's cold at the moment so I stay in a grotty room above a pub $ 35 a night , which is about the price of accommodation of a YHA 6 -8 lager louts per room ewww , the lady on the train told me I should go to the backpackers I'll get to "meet lots of new people my age" I told her I don't want to meet new people she was taken back :P

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 10:15 am

Quote:
I think there are a lot of posters on here (whether self-diagnosed or barely meeting the diagnostic criteria) that latch onto the Aspie label for all its worth but don't even have it or have a very mild case of it.

I am very mild. I also have been diagnosed with Dyspraxia, which overlaps the AS, and I have self-diagnosed myself with HAD (high anxiety disorder) because, believe me, I get very, very anxious all the time which is taking over my life. I get really anxious about people and what they think of me and if they are judging me. I might be over-sensitive, I don't know. Some people I don't come across as weird or I don't feel weird when I'm with them, and others I do. Some people I don't know what to say to, and there are long awkward silences, and they just consider me as unfriendly or quiet, but others I can chat away with and they look upon me as good company, and they like me for who I am. There is a person who I work with who I'm always saying such stupid or inappropriate things to all the time. The other day I said two stupid things in less than a minute, so after that I knew to myself it was time to shut up before I say a third wrong thing and look even more nutty. Yet there are some people I know who I don't seem to catch myself saying weird or stupid things to ever. With me, sometimes these stupid things I say slip out and then I realise immediately afterwards that I shouldn't have said that. I always know when I make an error. I just do. I just don't know why they suddenly slip out. It's a bit like people with Tourrettes - they make a sound then don't realise they made this inappropriate sound until afterwards. Mostly they know that the sounds they involuntarily make are not appropriate, but that's not until after they done it. I'm not saying what I do is a form of Tourrettes, because it isn't. I'm just using it as an example. I say a stupid thing, then realise how stupid or inappropriate it was straight after I said it. It's really annoying, and I think the more I'm talking to a person who is the type to judge you easily, the more I come out with stupid things.
I hate it when people blame the Aspie on the awkward silences, because ''neurotypical'' doesn't always mean ''very easy people to get on with.'' Some NTs are bloody hard to get along with - I know an NT who keeps himself to himself and only talks to you if he wants to know something, and he doesn't just do that to me, he does it to anyone. Other NTs are more chatty and will just chat to you about anything, whether it's trivial or not. And if you can't find any interests you share, try finding something you don't like what they don't like either. NTs don't mind talking about things what annoy or worry them either - life ain't all talking about interests.
Anyway, I thought NTs don't talk about their interests like us......
I don't understand ASDs at all. I read up on Autism nearly every day, and I know what it is, but it's still complicated to define the actual thick line between NT behaviour and mild AS behaviour. Mild.

Supernova008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2011, 10:35 am

evilduck wrote:
Supernova008 wrote:

Hear hear

Is that supposed to mean that you agree with me or that you don't? :?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:34 pm

To put it simply I would say social anxiety has more to do with being afraid or nervous about social interaction but having the ability to interact normally.....and aspergers has more to do with being unable to interact normally not due to fear or nervousness but more because these interactions do not come naturally.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 3:24 pm

I have AS, but not SA, but for several months during therapy, I believed that I had SA, but not AS. Eventually, I figured out what I was doing during social interactions and why I didn't have SA.

If a person has one or the other and not both, I think that the easiest way to tell the difference is what you are thinking during the interaction, not before or after. When I am conversing with someone, there is nothing else going through my mind. No reading of non-verbal cues, no thoughts about what the other person is thinking about me, no awareness that the other person is having thoughts about me. When I stop talking about my thoughts on a topic, I am waiting for the other person to reciprocate with their thoughts on the topic. When they are talking, I am listening to their words and trying to process them as well as I can into some sort of understanding. This part is difficult for me and takes up a lot of brain resources, so I do not have any resources to devote to thinking other thoughts, especially about their perceptions of me, what I am doing wrong then and there, what I shouldn't be saying or doing in the moment.

Afterwards, from hours to years later, I will play back the conversation and realize that I shouldn't have said this or that or made this face when they said that or gone on too long or followed them when they tried to walk away from me. This will usually worry me, but not excessively to the point of anxiety or avoidance, such that the next time I see this person, I will forget these worries and immediately default to the same conversational behavior, again without having any thoughts about what they are thinking about me. Even though I have now realized my social mistakes, I do not feel anxious about them, because I do not have any brain resources to devote to these thoughts and feelings during the conversation.

I'm not sure what it would be like to have both SA and AS. Personally, I have such an extremely one-track mind and slow processing that I cannot even get to the point of having SA during social interactions.