Sleep problems, delayed sleep phase, Aspergers ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

caek
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Oct 2010, 5:33 am

My natural time for going to sleep is approx. 3am, my normal waking time is 12-2pm.

I can manage a couple of days of normal sleep after staying awake overnight and all day.

Melatonin for a week didn't help, only had a couple of days where it even worked at all.

Is there any correlation between circadian rhythm disorders and aspergers/autism?

P.S. I have had to resort to not sleeping on nights before a university day to stop myself missing the 1st classes, it is hellish being so sleep deprived 1/2 the week and spending the rest sleeping.(university 3 or 4 days a week normally, I can sleep before the 2nd day in a row due to exhaustion.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 5:48 am

Just thinking of this very topic. I think I've been awake for about 68 hours out of the last 72. My productivity dwindles down to almost nil. There is little rhyme or reason to my sleep patterns beyond I am more of a night person than day. I will usually get sleepy around 3 and 6 pm and might even nap for 20 minutes and be fully refreshed. Maybe mapping out your normal sleep cycle and influencing it artificial light can give you a more normal 24 hour cycle. Just wait until you have to hold down a regular job once you get done with school.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 5:57 am

sluice wrote:
Maybe mapping out your normal sleep cycle and influencing it artificial light can give you a more normal 24 hour cycle.

Along these lines, I have found that being careful not to influence my sleep schedule with (much) artificial light has been immensely helpful in creating a regular schedule for me.

Gruntre
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2010, 6:48 am

I have this. 3am is good cos noone is awake so you can almost completely control all surroundings vis light & sounds. Good for getting work done. I do it also because I also have a sleep phobia- I actually get frightened & freak out by the idea of losing conciousness. I prefer a long fade into hypnogogia rather than a drastic switch off. Bit of a problem when I have surgery done (I sleep deprive the night before so I'm asleep before I get anywhere near an anaethetist).
Oh and I am self employed AutoCAD designer so I get sleep when I need it, so don't assume you have to lose this behaviour essentially. I use to work as a lighting designer: rehearsals in the evening then overnight working the lamps. Lot of entertainment industry starts late finishes early, so to speak. I worked 8-4 for quite a few years and it was an utter pain in the arse and you never really learn to work like this, you end up being a zombie in the am and make up for it in the pm...
Have a look at Polyphasic sleep- one guy was getting 3 hours of sleep a day in half hour shots every four hours. Did it for a year and half and only stopped doing it because he got lonely padding around the house at night while his family slept. Probably did some permanent damage (and received a lot of castigating from lots of people who knew better) but who cares?
Curioser and curiouser...

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:39 am

I've always had sleep problems since I was a small child and always tired in the mornings when I should have been getting ready for school and even later I sometimes never slept at night and felt like a zombie the next day when I had to go to work when I had a job. I tend to feel more ready for some kind of work in the evenings/nightime when I should be sleeping. It is like having some kind of jet lag without travelling. I'm not sure my self whether this is Asperger syndrome in action.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:50 am

it differs for me.
i have a sleep/wake cycle of ~30 hours, of which i sleep about 6, as opposed to 24-ish for humans.
this makes me highly fatigued if i cannot sleep at a natural time (going to bed can happen during lunch, naturally, if i allow it).
i am able to move natural sleep back and forth a few hours, and flip the cycle by 12 hours (so lunch sleep turns into midnight). which i normally do in weekends, to not interfere with work.
i augment this with short bursts of meditative sleep during toilet breaks, so noone really notices, except for my SO (for obvious reasons)

RaphaelL
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2015, 10:24 pm

My sleepcyclus changes constantly.

I would have a few days where I sleep 8 hours a night, and then I'll stay awake for 48 hours.
It has been this way since my teenage years, It's even got worse when I went to live alone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Mar 2015, 11:30 pm

You could try Rozerem/Ramelteon.

Quote:
Rozerem (ramelteon), FDA Approved 07.04.05 , can be used for insomnia, particularly delayed sleep onset. Ramelteon has not been shown to produce dependence and has shown no potential for abuse, and the withdrawal and rebound insomnia that is typical with GABA modulators is not present in ramelteon. Some clinicians also use ramelteon for the treatment of Delayed sleep phase syndrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramelteon

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 1:11 pm

This thread is over 4 years old, just saying.