I HATE showing emotion differently!! !! !! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 7:41 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHH!! !! !! Last year I had a Gallbladder surgery an outpatient procedure in/out in a day. I heard an aunt was in the hospital for the same thing. I asked dad so is she out of the hospital (I said it with a smile) I didn't mean it in a joking/laughing way I IMO find it ironic she was in the hospital for the same thing. He said no she's on her death bed. (I knew he wasn't serious) I said oh. and he said I was laughing (I just smiled nicely IMO) Then he said ya she's fine. So me smiling over her issue being ironic/odd IMO (mine was an outpatient procedure so I find it odd and interesting hers wasn't). He took this smiling behavior as laughing. :-( I know when some is serious and him saying she was on her death bed I knew he was joking. So I smiled over an aunt being in the hospital. IMO so what. I don't know this person that well anyway. I hate showing emotion differently!! ! :-(

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 7:46 pm

That sounds normal to me...

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 7:49 pm

I couldn't begin to count how many times I've found something ironic or amusing at an inappropriate time.

But far worse is when someone is talking about something grave, and my mind clicks onto something in my field of view that reminds me of something, or puts a funny thought in my head. Now I'm not just laughing at something serious, I'm also not paying attention to the person who is trying their best to engage me in something that I understand is painful or difficult for them, but that I just can't quite connect with.

Thankfully, the people in my life whose opinions matter to me tend to be those that are understanding of my quirkiness - even though only a handful are aware of my condition.

I try to avoid funerals though.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 9:13 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
AHHHHHHHHHHH!! !! !! Last year I had a Gallbladder surgery an outpatient procedure in/out in a day. I heard an aunt was in the hospital for the same thing. I asked dad so is she out of the hospital (I said it with a smile) I didn't mean it in a joking/laughing way I IMO find it ironic she was in the hospital for the same thing. He said no she's on her death bed. (I knew he wasn't serious) I said oh. and he said I was laughing (I just smiled nicely IMO) Then he said ya she's fine. So me smiling over her issue being ironic/odd IMO (mine was an outpatient procedure so I find it odd and interesting hers wasn't). He took this smiling behavior as laughing. :-( I know when some is serious and him saying she was on her death bed I knew he was joking. So I smiled over an aunt being in the hospital. IMO so what. I don't know this person that well anyway. I hate showing emotion differently!! ! :-(

From the many things you've posted in the past, I honestly think your dad (and other family members) really have a way of over-reacting. It really doesn't seem like you're doing anything inappropriate most of the time, but they seem to get upset at you for the tiniest thing.

Even if you are showing emotions in an unconventional way, it seems to me like your dad should have accepted that a long time ago. Isn't that part of what Asperger's is? I can't understand why he gets so upset, and misreads practically everything you do or say. Hmm, could he be on the spectrum, do you think?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 9:28 pm

elderwanda wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:

From the many things you've posted in the past, I honestly think your dad (and other family members) really have a way of over-reacting. It really doesn't seem like you're doing anything inappropriate most of the time, but they seem to get upset at you for the tiniest thing.

Even if you are showing emotions in an unconventional way, it seems to me like your dad should have accepted that a long time ago. Isn't that part of what Asperger's is? I can't understand why he gets so upset, and misreads practically everything you do or say. Hmm, could he be on the spectrum, do you think?

Me and him seem a lot alike at times IMO. He is my step father so nothing gene related but he seems like it at times. I do agree my parents misread everything. A normal happy me day turns into OMG YOU'RE A RUDE b***h! Then the next day/weekend whatever you emotional hide inside keep to yourself etc. and it's OMG you are depressed/bad mood etc. what's wrong with you? etc. It's never ending. :-)

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:38 am

adifferentname wrote:
I couldn't begin to count how many times I've found something ironic or amusing at an inappropriate time.

But far worse is when someone is talking about something grave, and my mind clicks onto something in my field of view that reminds me of something, or puts a funny thought in my head. Now I'm not just laughing at something serious, I'm also not paying attention to the person who is trying their best to engage me in something that I understand is painful or difficult for them, but that I just can't quite connect with.

Yep, same here .
(Someone posted a thread about this laughter a while back).

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:41 am

Mdyar wrote:

Yep, same here .
(Someone posted a thread about this laughter a while back).

Mmm, there seem to be a number of recurrent themes and ideas on WP. Seems obvious that would be the case, now that I think about it.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:51 am

zeldapsychology wrote:

I know the experience all to well here (at that age). I am aware of what is expected now, and I do give what is needed for what they are looking for. This took self scrutiny of how I look/it looks on the outside, as to a "theory of mind understanding." I can see their point of view of what this would' look like.'

Zelda, this won't make you too many friends in life, and the ones that you somehow acquire will be out the mainstream ( neurologically).
Just a heads up thought.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 3:37 am

Mdyar wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:

I know the experience all to well here (at that age). I am aware of what is expected now, and I do give what is needed for what they are looking for. This took self scrutiny of how I look/it looks on the outside, as to a "theory of mind understanding." I can see their point of view of what this would' look like.'

Zelda, this won't make you too many friends in life, and the ones that you somehow acquire will be out the mainstream ( neurologically).
Just a heads up thought.

Oh noes. The horror.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2010, 3:56 am

I know what you mean. The worst occasions for me is when somebody is talking about death or somebody dying (especially somebody I don't know) and sometimes I have giggled about something that struck me as funny :S. Talk about awkward. Sometimes when I get really emotional I laugh even when I'm the one who has been upset...it really disorients the other person.