Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 9:08 pm

I want to know, why the Texas Rangers where selling world series tickets on their website.. after the game 1 loss to the Yankees. How would they know they'd be going to the world series ? How come the Rangers where selling tickets on their website, but not the Yankees ? No other explanation I have for it, other than MLB is fixed.

splendidisolation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2010, 1:20 am

All sport is fixed. From Saturday afternoon wrestling in the 70's to match-fixing and... well, it just isn't sport anymore. But it does fit in well with the world, all about money and greed.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:41 am

they're not selling the tickets, they are selling the rights to the tickets.

Rangers probably doing it because they've been such a horrid horrid team that now they are playing into the hype as much as possible.

Yanks been there and done that. Ticket sales, hype, promotion, that's stuff that they have absolutely no need to ever do or worry about.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:04 pm

Oh, puh-leeeeeze.

They sell tickets to things ahead of time to relieve the crunch later. Sports teams have been doing that since the beginning of time. Get with the program.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 4:08 pm

I didn't know that. What does it mean MLB is fixed?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2010, 8:43 pm

CaroleTuscan is correct. @luvsterriers, to say something is fixed is to say the outcomes of a certain sport are predetermined. Only professional wrestling is truly "fixed", though you may see certain games fixed from time to time (see: 2006 Juventus match-fixing scandal).

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 4:45 am

CaroleTucson wrote:
Oh, puh-leeeeeze.

They sell tickets to things ahead of time to relieve the crunch later. Sports teams have been doing that since the beginning of time. Get with the program.

If that's so .. how come they only sold on the Rangers site and not the Yankees ? I'd need a explanation there.

My personal opinion is that it's rigged.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 9:36 am

First time ever Rangers made it to World Series? The underdogs won this time. I wanted it to be Phillies/Yankees. :(

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

willa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 10:51 am

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
If that's so .. how come they only sold on the Rangers site and not the Yankees ? I'd need a explanation there.

Already said it =P.

Rangers never even won a playoff series let alone made it to world series before. So they likely do it for the fans. Yankees are winning playoff series every year and making it to world series every other year so it's just routine for them.
Rangers do that kind of stuff for the fans, sell rights to possible tickets ahead of time, help build more hype and excitment. It's no different than the people or players who are saying they are going to the world series before the first game of the season even starts. It's the organization putting confidence in their team.

It's just not possible to fix an MLB game (or nfl, or nba, or nhl for that matter). Somewhere in the past, the 300-400 people who would need to be involved in each individual game in order to fix it would have talked. It is an absolute impossibility.

There've been some documented cases of throwing games/matches, but that's just one person's doing. you're likely not gonna see a whole team in on it like the 1917 world series again =P

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 10:54 am

willa wrote:
Raymond_Fawkes wrote:

Already said it =P.

Rangers never even won a playoff series let alone made it to world series before. So they likely do it for the fans. Yankees are winning playoff series every year and making it to world series every other year so it's just routine for them.
Rangers do that kind of stuff for the fans, sell rights to possible tickets ahead of time, help build more hype and excitment. It's no different than the people or players who are saying they are going to the world series before the first game of the season even starts. It's the organization putting confidence in their team.

It's just not possible to fix an MLB game (or nfl, or nba, or nhl for that matter). Somewhere in the past, the 300-400 people who would need to be involved in each individual game in order to fix it would have talked. It is an absolute impossibility.

There've been some documented cases of throwing games/matches, but that's just one person's doing.

1919 Chicago Black Sox scandal.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 11:04 am

was 1919, not 17, my bad.

But just look at that, it was just a half dozen people involved in 1919 when you could get away with anything and it was headline news within months of it happening (of course that's still unsure, I know the so called 'experts' when you hear 'em talk will give you 8 different opinions from it was just 2 guys in on it to as many as 9)
There are just too many people involved to do that kind of stuff anymore.
All you're likely to see are the pete rose kinds of cases, where one person is heavily involved in gambling and gets into the position where he will try to throw a game to help people he's likely in trouble with. Of course Rose said he never did that kind of thing, swears to never have bet on his own games, but there was an NFL quarterback in the 80s as well who was caught gambling and after trial admitted to betting on his team.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 2:03 pm

The Giants gonna win!! !

Go Ross, Sancheval, Torres 'n' Posey gonna cook Rangers for a barbecue!

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2010, 12:09 pm

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
I want to know, why the Texas Rangers where selling world series tickets on their website.. after the game 1 loss to the Yankees. How would they know they'd be going to the world series ? How come the Rangers where selling tickets on their website, but not the Yankees ? No other explanation I have for it, other than MLB is fixed.

This is too ridiculous for words.

In the old days, if the pennant races were close in September, you had the slightly surreal situation of several teams printing up World Series tickets, just so they wouldn't be caught short if they actually made it to the Series.

This is just the modern version of the same thing.