ASAN and Allies Protest Autism Speaks- Washington DC Nov 6th

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2010, 10:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that it's great that the protest happened and it should be a yearly event around the world. We need to get the message out. We need to show Autism Speaks and their supporters that we're we're not a bunch of Useless Eaters who make life miserable for our families and our communities. We need to stop the cash flow into their pockets. We need to get together and sue them, once and for all. We need to give that money to every person in the world, who is on the spectrum, whether they're rich and famous or living on the streets, or in a group home. If I had the financial means, I'd fly right there and get them into court and sue their sorry little behinds.
:afro:

*Begins working on legal brief involving the words "slander" and "libel"* Hmm, maybe throw the words "emotional damages" and maybe a few sprinklings of "loss of dignity"... mwahahaha....

J0lt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2010, 7:39 pm

Inventor, do you realize how incoherent you sound?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 1:12 am

J0lt wrote:
Inventor, do you realize how incoherent you sound?

Do you realize how rediculus it is for a group of a half dozen to protest scientific research?

On behalf of the 3,000.000 autistics in the US, 30,000,000 in the Broader Autisn Phenotype, Neurodiversity and acceptance are not working, except for a few gang leaders, who have found some followers.

The majority are seeking answers, ways to live better lives, and demands to shut down study are the demands of idiots.

If you are happy the way you are, fine, most people are not, and you wish to deny them more information.

Wrong Planet is an information exchange, The founder is working joint ventures with Autism Speaks, and sharing information across autistics, parents, grandparents, teachers, the professions, and students who wish to enter the field. You are protesting everyone who is involved.

Standing on the street holding a sign saying, "I can speak 4 myself," really gives a bad impression.

If you had anything to say, you would not be attacking Autism Speaks, you would be giving your message.

Your message is do nothing, we tried that, it did not work. Now we are trying other things.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 6:28 am

Stop trying to kill us off. There's a message.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Stop trying to kill us off. There's a message.

I also think we should probably get in contact with some media outlet that enjoys ticking powerful people off.

Let said media outlet point out that Autism Speaks is not what they say they are and they are taking advantage of parents whom have children on the spectrum.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2010, 4:37 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
I also think we should probably get in contact with some media outlet that enjoys ticking powerful people off.

Fox News, anyone? They love ticking powerful people off (see: President Obama).

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 12:52 pm

Inventor wrote:
Disability Rights, Neurodiversity, gives them nothing.

I hope you'll consider researching disability history and the broader disability rights movement. History has a lot to teach us.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions and to disagree with the views or methods of a particular group. A statement like the one above is too broad, however.

As someone working very hard in the disability services field on a daily basis to improve the lives of my consumers and their loved ones, it bothers me a great deal to see you post that the disability rights movement offers nothing to people with autism.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:22 pm

blueroses wrote:
I hope you'll consider researching disability history and the broader disability rights movement. History has a lot to teach us.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions and to disagree with the views or methods of a particular group. A statement like the one above is too broad, however.

As someone working very hard in the disability services field on a daily basis to improve the lives of my consumers and their loved ones, it bothers me a great deal to see you post that the disability rights movement offers nothing to people with autism.
I agree with everything you wrote here, other than with this: "people with autism".
Autistics are not "people with autism".
Jim Sinclair (from Autreat's planning committee) explains it better than me:
http://web.archive.org/web/200707150552 ... _first.htm

http://www.autscape.org/

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 1:41 pm

I'm familiar with Jim Sinclair's work and I prefer to use 'autistic' when I'm referring to myself. As far as my consumers, though, different people seem to prefer different terminology. I usually just try to say "person on the autism spectrum," unless I know for sure what the individual prefers.

DarkestShadow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Nov 2010, 8:40 pm

i just don't understand why autism speaks site hasn't been hacked yet. the site of those brain-damaged Douchbags :evil: