Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2010, 3:58 pm

hi, who here like creative writing, how did you get in to creative writing, i like to do more creative writing, and not sure how and where to start. i done a few bits i may share them here if i can,
so what do you done to start offf your creative writing??

thanks
caroline x

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 4:53 pm

What is a creative writing?

Crimsonfield
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2010, 7:05 pm

Titangeek wrote:
What is a creative writing?

None-professional writing like novels, poems, screenplays and songs. News articles and retails for example are considered as professional writing.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 7:41 pm

Ah, ty. I am righting a sciences fiction novel, not going to well, several starts that where not good, now i am just making a list of all the characters.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 5:19 am

I am an unpublished writer, though I have chosen writing to be my profession, as there is no money in being a bum. As my wife and I are a couple neo-beatniks, neither of us mind living in poverty, as long as we have enough to care for our little girl.
As for starting something...
While it's probably a good thing to take the advise of other writers, I personally think you have to find your own way in the creative process. Just remember, that very first sentence or paragraph isn't reflective of your finished product. This is advise I need to heed myself - too often, I've put something aside because I think it's too crudely written. And just as bad, I often obsessively rewrite the early first page over and over, till I get burned out, and have to set the story aside (that's the Aspie in me). Rewriting is a good thing - but wait till you're finished with a complete draft, or with a chapter at the very least. Like I said, I often don't take my own advise. Writing is like any other art - it takes time and effort, and rarely does it come out perfect on the first try.
I think the best advise I ever got on fiction writing came from a poet who had immigrated from Ireland named James McCaulley, who had taught a few creative writing work shops I took in my college days. He had told me: "Remember, writing isn't easy." Those simple words have brought me comfort those late nights when I find myself without inspiration, or the right words don't want to assemble in my head, let alone the computer screen.
In the mean time, if you're in school, I suggest you take creative writing classes or work shops. If not, I suggest you find writers groups locally, where you can share ideas with other writers, read each others work, and get advise.
I don't know if I've been any help. As of late, I've been a lazy ass, taking too much time off from my own writing since last week.
Might I ask - are you hoping to one day be published?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Crimsonfield
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2010, 11:21 am

What helps to start off is to inform yourself about what you want to write about. Like if you want to write a science fiction story about genetically modified super-humans, it's advisable to learn about bio-engineering, DNA, genomes and biology in a whole. Same for fantasy. If you're gonna write about knights and barbarians, read a history book about the medieval era. Not that you need master degrees before writing a novel, however people like well-researched novels and all the information your gather will spark creative new ideas that will be usable in the story.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 11:32 am

Crimsonfield wrote:
What helps to start off is to inform yourself about what you want to write about. Like if you want to write a science fiction story about genetically modified super-humans, it's advisable to learn about bio-engineering, DNA, genomes and biology in a whole. Same for fantasy. If you're gonna write about knights and barbarians, read a history book about the medieval era. Not that you need master degrees before writing a novel, however people like well-researched novels and all the information your gather will spark creative new ideas that will be usable in the story.

that's not the problem i am having. I am having trouble with how the characters interact with each other.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 1:40 pm

Titangeek wrote:

that's not the problem i am having. I am having trouble with how the characters interact with each other.

That's my problem too. I'm doing CW as a postgrad course at uni and finding it really hard atm. I get round the character problem by only having one character (usually 'she') and not developing it- instead I focus on background, atmosphere and basic plot. I love writing but find it hard (and scary!), the idea of a blank piece of paper with no structure really scares me!

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:06 pm

Bubbles137 wrote:
Titangeek wrote:

That's my problem too. I'm doing CW as a postgrad course at uni and finding it really hard atm. I get round the character problem by only having one character (usually 'she') and not developing it- instead I focus on background, atmosphere and basic plot. I love writing but find it hard (and scary!), the idea of a blank piece of paper with no structure really scares me!

That would not work for the book i am righting, the book takes place from the points of view of well allot (lets just say more than ten) i have not come up with names for them all yet, lol.

Crimsonfield
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2010, 2:17 pm

Ten POV's is a lot though.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 2:36 pm

Crimsonfield wrote:
Ten POV's is a lot though.

Therein lies the problem

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 3:17 pm

Good luck- hope it goes OK. Maybe writing out a plan for each of the characters before you start the actual writing?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 3:18 pm

Bubbles137 wrote:
Good luck- hope it goes OK. Maybe writing out a plan for each of the characters before you start the actual writing?

That''s what i am doing, only i need to get a list of all of there names first.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 3:25 pm

Hope it goes well! Names are hard...I've never really used them except as references to mythological characters. Good luck again!

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 6:02 pm

Having a bit of trouble coming up with a name for a group of people in my book. What would be a good name for a group of space dwelling gipsy's with a propensity for living in nebula's and the upper atmospheres of gas giants? All i have bin able to come up with is ether Outlander's or Outworlder's.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 10:25 pm

Titangeek wrote:
Having a bit of trouble coming up with a name for a group of people in my book. What would be a good name for a group of space dwelling gipsy's with a propensity for living in nebula's and the upper atmospheres of gas giants? All i have bin able to come up with is ether Outlander's or Outworlder's.

i have decided (for now at least) to go with Outworlder's.