Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 4:29 am

Montenegro is to formally declare independence from its union with Serbia in a special session of parliament in the capital, Podgorica.
Members will officially recognise the result of a referendum held two weeks ago, where a narrow majority voted in favour of breaking away.

Thousands of people are expected to celebrate the announcement.

But correspondents say Montenegro is a divided society, with a significant minority backing the union with Serbia.

The last time the region was a country was at the end of World War I, before it was absorbed into the newly-formed Yugoslavia.

Earlier this week the Montenegro Referendum Commission formally confirmed the result of the referendum, in which 55.5% of the people voted to secede from Serbia, just above the necessary threshold of 55%.

Negotiations between Belgrade and Podgorica on how to disentangle the two states are expected to begin shortly.

They will include everything from property rights and university fees to military facilities and work permits.

Next week Serbia is expected to declare its own independence, finally bringing to an end the break-up of the six republics of the former Yugoslavia into six fully-fledged states.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5043462.stm

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 7:04 am

Good for them.

Can we have independence for the county of Lancashire in this case? And maybe Rutland should have its own parliament too? ;) :D

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 8:02 am

Tequila wrote:

Can we have independence for the county of Lancashire in this case?

I might be able to get into Cornwall if it goes independent.
Having the right grandfather, and I can sing the national anthem...

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 8:07 am

What about WALES!?If not indepence then more power for the Senedd(whitch is welsh for paliment but the english was like no it is not a paliment its' an assembly) like Scotland!

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2006, 6:46 pm

The Welsh Assembly - it is quite naughty to call it this when it's the parliament in Wales, I mean what does the word 'assembly' say to you?

The word 'assembly' takes me back to my school days when we used to have to sit on the hard floor of a giant hall while the Headmaster (translate to Principal if you're American) played a plinky plonky piano and kiddie hymn singing eg. He's got the Whole World In His Hands.....

Sorry to rub it in if your Welsh, this isn't meant as an insult, it was just my thoughts.