Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 7:18 pm

The repetition of ones own spoken words. I do this A LOT! I'll repeat myself and family will be like you already said that. It usually pertains to me being excited so I repeat what I said or two remember it I repeat it over and over so I don't forget. I know others have this from past posts on this topic I've made but any ways to actually fix it? Thank You.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 7:44 pm

Yes; I play with words sometimes. However, I don't do this in public anymore; I am mostly able to inhibit myself, though I do occasionally say a single word out loud in public by accident. I've gotten confused looks but that's the worst of it. The trick seems to be being aware of your impulses in time to stop them--something I haven't fully mastered yet. I wouldn't bother, except it can be distracting in quiet environments.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

parrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2010, 7:49 pm

Some. Not a lot I hope.

I catch myself doing it once in a while. It bothers me when I catch myself because I wonder how many times I do it and don't notice.

For me it's the social ineptitude where I'm trying hard to say something at the proper time in a conversation that I'll say it once at the wrong time, then say it again when it's more appropriate. Or repeating myself when I can't pick on people cues that the heard me and I misinterpret that they didn't hear what I said. It seems that it happens to me when I'm trying too hard to appear NT, I don't notice that i do it if I'm just being myself.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 7:59 pm

I'll say a sentence normally, and then I'll quietly whisper it again without any conscious thought about it. Apparently I've been doing this ever since I was a child, though I wasn't aware of it until a couple of years ago when my brother finally pointed it out. I thought he was joking, but when I asked my mom about it, she said I really do it. She says it's more noticeable when I'm upset. Sometimes I actually catch myself doing it and I'll feel really embarrassed about it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 8:14 pm

Ya I feel bad about it too. I will have said something then later say it and mom will be like You already told me that like 3 times or yesterday etc. Then I feel bad like oh ok. I'm not 100% sure why I do this memory issues forgetting I told someone. Like I said I mainly do it out of excitement in telling people things.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 9:39 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I'll say a sentence normally, and then I'll quietly whisper it again without any conscious thought about it.

I don't repeat entire sentences (at least, not that I know of), but I will sometimes whisper the last word or two of a sentence I've just finished. When it happens, there is no possibility of controlling it. I only become aware of it if I say it loudly enough that I hear it - and I'm pretty sure I don't always notice. It's odd, sometimes even startling, to hear myself saying something when I'm - as far as I'm aware - not speaking. I've been doing this as long as I can remember, and thought that everybody did it (although I can't say I ever heard anybody else do it). I only discovered very recently that this is fairly common in ASD's.

I actually had a google search for palilalia open in another tab. Here's what Encyclopedia.com gives as the definition:
palilalia (pal-i-lay-liă) n. a disorder of speech in which a word spoken by the individual is rapidly and involuntarily repeated.

As far as treatment is concerned, it appears that there has been at least limited success with trazadone. The only article I have found (so far) which speaks of it in any kind of detail is this PDF file from the American Journal of Psychiatry] (if you're cautious about clicking links, you can cut-n-paste this: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/rep ... 4/580b.pdf instead) It also goes into a more detailed description of the condition. The writer states that, "As yet, no treatments have been found to be particularly helpful," and cites their successful use of trazadone as "atypical".

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 11:47 pm

another_1 wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
I'll say a sentence normally, and then I'll quietly whisper it again without any conscious thought about it.

I don't repeat entire sentences (at least, not that I know of), but I will sometimes whisper the last word or two of a sentence I've just finished. When it happens, there is no possibility of controlling it. I only become aware of it if I say it loudly enough that I hear it - and I'm pretty sure I don't always notice. It's odd, sometimes even startling, to hear myself saying something when I'm - as far as I'm aware - not speaking. I've been doing this as long as I can remember, and thought that everybody did it (although I can't say I ever heard anybody else do it). I only discovered very recently that this is fairly common in ASD's.

I actually had a google search for palilalia open in another tab. Here's what Encyclopedia.com gives as the definition:
palilalia (pal-i-lay-liă) n. a disorder of speech in which a word spoken by the individual is rapidly and involuntarily repeated.

As far as treatment is concerned, it appears that there has been at least limited success with trazadone. The only article I have found (so far) which speaks of it in any kind of detail is this PDF file from the American Journal of Psychiatry] (if you're cautious about clicking links, you can cut-n-paste this: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/rep ... 4/580b.pdf instead) It also goes into a more detailed description of the condition. The writer states that, "As yet, no treatments have been found to be particularly helpful," and cites their successful use of trazadone as "atypical".

Thank you for that link! I had wanted more information about the condition. :)

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 12:23 am

IdahoRose wrote:
Thank you for that link! I had wanted more information about the condition. :)

You're quite welcome.

Since the thread is already here, if you find anything of interest, could you post it here? I'll do the same, at least until the thread dies and gets lost. Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it readily available, might be useful if we can pull together a few resources in one place.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 1:37 am

How does this differ from echolalia? I certainly repeat what I say over and over again but it can be multiple words or even a sentence so I don't think I qualify for palilalia exclusively.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2010, 7:05 am

buryuntime wrote:
How does this differ from echolalia? I certainly repeat what I say over and over again but it can be multiple words or even a sentence so I don't think I qualify for palilalia exclusively.

If you are repeating the words/sentences unintentionally, it would fit as palilalia. Doing so on purpose - because you like the sound of the word, or to commit the phrase to memory - might look like it, but wouldn't actually be palilalia, from what I have found. Echolalia is (pretty much) the same thing, except that one is repeating what someone else says. I found a short, easy to read article about it on WiseGeek: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-echolalia.htm. If you google "echolalia," there seems to be a good bit of information available on it.