Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 11:01 am

richardbenson wrote:
am i the only one that doesnt get meditating? it seems like wishful thinking, or some "religious" experiance. does it really work?

Yes, it really works. It's exactly counter to wishful thinking, too. It's very methodical and quite scientific in its approach. It's about not chasing all those mental whims and developing insight. Like Kaybee said it is a gradual development. It's a skill, like playing an instrument or speaking a foreign language.

I've also found it's the only thing that successfully treats my OCD.

Cardamine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm

pensieve wrote:
Poor concentration and energy sounds like SCT (Sluggish Cognitive Tempo).
Even non-ADHDers can get more focused with stimulant medication.

You should go in for an evaluation. When they test ADHD they look for every condition under the Sun. MRI, qEEQ, IQ tests - the lot! Just to be really thorough.

ADHD can also become worse when in high school because of all the hormones and stress. I was in college at that point and had real concentration problems.

There are two extremes of ADHD: Hyperactive and Inattentive. Inattentives have less energy, day dream more, live in a kind of brain fog. I think amphetamines are for them. So basically if you are hyper and take meds you calm down or focus better but if you're hypo you can focus and have more energy and motivation. I'm combined.
Actually when I drink coffee on meds I fall asleep. I guess the meds try to level you out.

That's really interesting - thank you. And yes the sluggish business does seem to describe me - have just done a bit of reading about it. I've always assumed i didn't have ADHD cos i'm not hyperactive, but this could all make sense. I'm getting as assesment for Aspergers in a couple of months, so i'll see if they can look at this too. Loads of thanks.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 1:54 pm

richardbenson wrote:
am i the only one that doesnt get meditating? it seems like wishful thinking, or some "religious" experiance. does it really work?

No you're not the only one. Most people fundamentally misunderstand it. The images and ideas about meditation in the mainstream media certainly don't help.

What is a "religious" experience?