Who here works in the dairy section of a grocery store?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2010, 12:54 pm

If you are successful at it I am all ears.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 4:01 pm

Although I have worked as a checker, I have not worked stocking in a grocery store. I have worked stocking in a toy store, a book store, and two department stores. The managers say they want accurate work. Here's the tricky part:

They want fast work.

They say they want accurate work because some people are so sloppy, plus it kind of protects them if a mistake was made. . .

But they actually want fast work.

So, give them fast. Do good. Work at that good fast clip where you're reasonable sure you're not making mistakes. But do not take the time to re-check, nothing like that. Simply accept the chance that a mistake was made.

A reasonable manager will simply ask you to re-do it if necessary. That's fine. Graciously re-do it. A poor manager will yell at you or otherwise make a big production. At that point, you need to start thinking, it's easier to find a job with a job, being very strategic at work (it's still going to be a lousy situation even with the best strategy and brief diplomacy). Hopefully, you have a manager on the good side.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2010, 6:15 am

I worked as a Utility Clerk. So I technically worked all sections including dairy. My main priorities were organizing the shopping carts and re-stocking the "go-backs" though.

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2010, 1:22 am

I think I've got it, no complaints so far. I even got told by one manager that she feels releived when I am back there because she knows the job will get done.