AS/Autism & relationships with people from different cul

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2010, 6:06 am

This is something I've been thinking about which my Psychologist said to me during my diagnosis interview and I'd like to know your thoughts on it too (apologies if this has been posted before).

I've never really had a relationship before I met my husband as I was terrified of letting my guard down and letting someone see the real me. My husband is Swedish although he's spent an equal amount of his life living in other countries as he has in Sweden. the Psychologist who diagnosed me mentioned that there is a theory that people with AS/Autism find it easier to relate to people from different cultures or countries whose first language isn't the same as theirs as the other person also experiences a degree of alienation through the language/culture barrier, however slight it may be.

This may be a factor in why I've always felt so at ease in in husband's company and why I've been happy to completely relax around him. It probably doesn't hurt that he's an antisocial science nerd too :D

What do you think? are you/have you had relationships mainly with people of the same or different culture as you? And if you've had both, did you notice any difference in how the relationship worked?

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2010, 7:52 am

there are probably many threads already discussing this or similar things .. this is the thread i happen to remember:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt130466.html

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2010, 10:25 am

Cool, thanks Woodfish.