Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 7:26 pm

Rather, why do people consider invisibility to be equivalent to nonexistence? Air is invisible, yet it exists. Most forms of light are invisible to us with our human eyes, with the exception of about 300 nanometers to 700 nanometers. Atoms are invisible to us, since they are smaller than the wavelengths of light our eyes have the ability to perceive.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 7:30 pm

sartresue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
pgd wrote:
Why did Moses create an invisible God - the Clay Potter who lives in the sky above the country of Israel?

(reworded)
---

It was Abraham and not Mose who first did this.

ruveyn

Abe and Mo topic

You are correct, but it was Mo who institutionalized the religion with the unseen god and the ten commandments. Very dramatic and legal, to give it added weight. 8)

---

Well, Moses/whoever (Abraham) creating an invisible God was a Hebrew pen stroke of religious theater genius (my view).

An invisible God is the basis for several large world religions.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 9:15 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Rather, why do people consider invisibility to be equivalent to nonexistence? Air is invisible, yet it exists. Most forms of light are invisible to us with our human eyes, with the exception of about 300 nanometers to 700 nanometers. Atoms are invisible to us, since they are smaller than the wavelengths of light our eyes have the ability to perceive.

When a phenomenon is invisible and undetectable by all scientific instruments one becomes suspicious of its presence.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 11:05 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

When a phenomenon is invisible and undetectable by all scientific instruments one becomes suspicious of its presence.

Science cannot prove there is a God and it cannot disprove God's existence either.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 11:24 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

There are many assumptions that one makes about the universe which are logical and cannot be proven scientifically.

Such as

Like the assumption that the universe wasn't created five minutes ago with the appearance of age.

That the laws of mathematics exist

That other people have minds

Was not spoken of the soul.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 11:35 pm

Okay, repeating myself here - according to the Bible (and the Torah), God was not invisible to Moses, or to anyone else. Moses was forbidden to look at God, but if not looking at something makes it invisible, well, I guess that means I'm completely transparent to light myself, because none of you can see me. (Can you?, he asked nervously...)

If you get a phone call from one of your parents, but you're not in line of sight at the time, does that mean your parent is invisible?

Smike
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2010, 12:40 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

There is no evidence your god exists, therefore it is ret*d to believe that it does

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 1:20 am

There were lots of gods but no one actually saw them either. The people just made statues.

As for Jesus, we know what he looked like from many paintings. He had light brown hair and blue eyes.
Which is funny because he was a Semite.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:41 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Science cannot prove there is a God and it cannot disprove God's existence either.

Science cannot disprove that there are invisible pink unicorns living in my hat either, but without such evidence I see no need to worship my hat.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:48 am

91 wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

There are many assumptions that one makes about the universe which are logical and cannot be proven scientifically.

Such as

Like the assumption that the universe wasn't created five minutes ago with the appearance of age.

That the laws of mathematics exist

That other people have minds

The assumption that other people have minds is just that, but it is a plausible assumption. Just about everyone believes it. And the assumption does not lead to an outright contradiction.

We deal with phenomena which means we deal with appearances. Apparently we (or most of us) experience the same appearances so we treat them as real. There is no way to absolutely distinguish between real reality and shared apparent reality. They both seem the same to us.

ruveyn

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:55 am

TallyMan wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Science cannot disprove that there are invisible pink unicorns living in my hat either, but without such evidence I see no need to worship my hat.

Watch Dr William Lane Craig smash that logic up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6m-KNUmG4

Was not spoken of the soul.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 3:58 am

TallyMan wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Belief should be based on things for which there is evidence. Unfortunately that is not the way it works out. It is irrational to believe X just because we cannot prove that not-X is the case.

ruveyn

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 6:01 am

Wombat wrote:
There were lots of gods but no one actually saw them either. The people just made statues.

As for Jesus, we know what he looked like from many paintings. He had light brown hair and blue eyes.
Which is funny because he was a Semite.

---

Yes, apparently there are lots of gods living at the top of Mt. Olympus in Greece - kind of gods which party and have all sorts of good points and bad points. Mt. Olympus existed before Hollywood and Hollywood's many soap operas.

Pandora opened some type of box and released everything.

Excuse me, Jesus Christ is a white man and a Southern Baptist. We all know that from the dogma of Landover Baptist.

Yes, Jesus Christ does have blue eyes and light brown eye despite what the Bible actually hints at.

Also, Jesus Christ is an American, not someone from somewhere in the Middle East.

(...just kidding a little...)

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 6:19 am

ruveyn wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Belief should be based on things for which there is evidence. Unfortunately that is not the way it works out. It is irrational to believe X just because we cannot prove that not-X is the case.

ruveyn

---

Invisible vs Visible - Seeing Through Solid Objects...

A horseshoe magnet can attract and repel iron filings.

People can see through glass in their living rooms to see rain, hail, and snow outside.

Where is U.S. Grant actually buried? For years I thought in New York but you have convinced me he's buried elsewhere.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 6:31 am

pgd wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

ruveyn

---

Invisible vs Visible - Seeing Through Solid Objects...

A horseshoe magnet can attract and repel iron filings.

People can see through glass in their living rooms to see rain, hail, and snow outside.

Where is U.S. Grant actually buried? For years I thought in New York but you have convinced me he's buried elsewhere.

Not only can we not prove (at least currently) that other people have conscious thinking minds, but there is evidence locally that only a few people display them by inference.

(Not kidding even a little)

Ambrose_Rotten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2010, 10:54 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Air is invisible, but it can be detected, inhaled, felt (wind), etc...

People used to deny the existence of radio waves, but we have developed instruments that can be used to detect and measure non-visible forms of light. Were it not for microwaves, for example, WiFi would be impossible, etc...

Atoms may not always be observable, but they have been proven to exist through the scientific observation of their effects. If it were not for these atoms, the cold war/end of WWII would have been entirely different.

God cannot be detected through technology, or any other form of evidence other than the flawed circular logic of the bible.

It is not the mission of Science to prove or disprove the existence of any type of god. God is completely irrelevant to science/logic/observable reality, and should not be mixed in with such things.