Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Shireenybeany
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2010, 9:48 am

Hi,
Both my mom and I are on the autistic spectrum. She had a very complicated birth with me due to not feeling/going through labour. I was distressed, they tried to induce her but it didn't really work very well.
When it came to my first, I had to be induced 38wks because of complications, but 60 hours of induction did not work and eventually I ended up with a c-section. I just did not dilate!(':(')
I am wondering if this could be related to having AS. Has anybody else has had any similar experience? Does anybody know about any links between birth problems and Aspie women?
I ended up with a 2nd c-section just because of how scared I was if they would need to induce me again. But now my youngest is 6 I am wondering about having more and if VB would be a possibility. I know the medical advice about c-sections and VBs. Any help would be appreciated.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2010, 10:29 am

My first son was breech so I needed a c-section.
For my second son the midwife used a suction device.
My daughter's birth was all natural and uncomplicated.
My mom is on the spectrum and there were no complications with my birth or that of my siblings.
I don't think there is a corelation with AS .

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 11:37 am

Actually, I have heard of a connection of birth problems and those on the autism spectrum. I can't verify it (don't have statistics to back it up), but I thought there was a thread on WrongPlanet about this issue in the past, and many people said that they had experienced problems in birthing their children.

Personally, all my children were c-sections. The first was because of lack of dilating -- and he is my son that would have been on the spectrum as a child, but would no longer be considered on the spectrum now (there weren't too many doctors diagnosing for Asperger's syndrome back then). I wasn't scheduled to have a c-section for my second child, but asked for it because of potential placenta previa problems. No problems with this c-section, and child was NOT on the spectrum. Then, with the third child, I had another planned C-section because my son was large (10 lbs.) and as they gave me pitocin I began to go into anaphylactic shock and the baby had to be removed very quickly. This is my son who has had more problems associated with being on the spectrum.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2010, 12:07 pm

I forgot to mention that my second son has Tourette and AS and my youngest has some traits, is probably somewhere on the spectrum.
My oldest son who came with a c-section is NT.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:22 pm

My mom had birth complications with my brother and I and he is NT. When she had him, he got stuck while being delivered because he was so big he couldn't fit through the canal. The doctors were going to either cut something in his shoulder to get him out but that would mean he will have a paralyzed arm or cut something down there and that would mean my mom won't be able to have more kids. But my mom kept pushing and my dad was pushing on her stomach too and finally he popped right out.

Me, I was in the wrong position in her belly not breech, but my head was in the wrong spot. My mom kept pushing and I never would come out so I got stressed and pooped in there and it went into my mouth and into my lunges. Then finally the doctor reached up there and grabbed my head and pulled me out and I was all covered in BM it was gross. I was a very sick baby because of that so I had to be in the intensive care. I almost died. My mom said she should have been given a c section but the doctor wasn't a good one so he didn't perform one on her.

My mom said both those things were flukes and what happened with my brother was very rare.

But I am hoping to have a normal delivery and have no complications.

Shireenybeany
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2010, 2:41 pm

Thank you. Yes what Im really wondering is whether in some women with AS, the autism unables them to have a normal labour and delivery] rather than does a bad delivery cause autism to surface.

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:14 pm

I have a history of women in my family including my mother having a narrow pelvis. Big hips, but narrow pelvis, a "man pelvis" as we like calling it. Seriously, my mother was in labor with my for four days (partly because there was no doctors available on Christmas day to give the C-section) then with my brother it was two days and with neither my me nor my brother did her water ever break so she cannot even tell me what it was like and she barely dialated.

I have a feeling that I will be the same since it looks like I have my mother's hips... My brother and I were also really big babies. I had a really big head and broad shoulders according to my mom.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:16 pm

Shireenybeany wrote:
Thank you. Yes what Im really wondering is whether in some women with AS, the autism unables them to have a normal labour and delivery] rather than does a bad delivery cause autism to surface.

My mom is also NT if that helps.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 4:27 pm

Also I know someone who is also not on the spectrum and she had to have a c section twice. Her first child had her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck so they had to give her a c section. Her second daughter, she never went into labor so they also gave her a c section than inducing her. Now this time with her third child who is due at the end of this month (she is four weeks ahead of me) decided to get a new doctor because she wants to try and have a deliver this time than having another c section. I don't know if she is going to have a delivery this time or a c section again.

My mom, she had to be induced with her third child because she had to have him early due to her back problems and he was a big baby. So they were inducing her and she wasn't going into labor yet and they were going to just send her home but mom decided try the medicine one more time so they let her and she went into labor and had him two hours later and she said he was the easiest to have and so was her labor with him. Then she had her tubes died because of her back condition and she was informed her next pregnancy be hard on it. Plus she was nearly 36 and she decided she was done and too old to have more.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 6:04 pm

Me and my mum are both suspected aspies. We just pop them out, barely breaking a sweat. I was in labout for just 3 hours with my daughter and my mum was in labout for 12 minutes with me 8O .

ravenroad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm

Holy crap, yes! I was a preemie due to distress and suffered some anoxia-related brain damage. My doctor said it definitely affected my ASD.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 2:09 am

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Me and my mum are both suspected aspies. We just pop them out, barely breaking a sweat. I was in labout for just 3 hours with my daughter and my mum was in labout for 12 minutes with me 8O .

I hope my labor be real easy and short. I think it's pretty rare for women to be in labor for less than a few hours. On babycenter I read a post by someone who claimed she was in labor for 29 minutes when she announced her giving birth.

Shireenybeany
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2010, 6:33 am

Thank you everyone,
I always thought that every woman's experience of giving birth was different and it seems even more so now I have read your comments. There may be a genetic link between my mom and I that has caused similar experiences in child-birth but perhaps it has nothing to do with having AS.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 6:58 am

League_Girl wrote:
MotherKnowsBest wrote:

I hope my labor be real easy and short. I think it's pretty rare for women to be in labor for less than a few hours. On babycenter I read a post by someone who claimed she was in labor for 29 minutes when she announced her giving birth.

The key for me was fear. Nothing upon the face of the earth could be as bad as I was expecting. With hindsight I may have been in labour for longer but I didn't realise it.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 3:21 pm

My son was first and my water broke in the morning and I gradually had contractions and then gave birth in the afternoon. I don't remember the pain only the extreme pressure and watching my abdomen ripple with each contraction. I thought it so stupid that doctors would say don't push when your body is basically in autopilot. My son didn't even cry when they laid him on my chest. He just looked at me with one eye open they then whisked him off to be bathed and then I could hear him crying.

My daughter was quick and painful. My water broke in the morning but my contractions were real close and it seemed minutes after we got to the hospital that she was born. My uterus did not contract after she was out and I was given a shot that made me vomit but did its job and I didn't bleed to death. She was all messy, screaming and hungry too. She slept for a long time after that too, I guess she used up all her energy. I tell her she almost killed me cause she couldn't wait to be born and we laugh. I said that experience made me think of those peasant women who end up giving birth in a field somewhere.

Another thing I find interesting is I nursed my daughter and she has AS, asthma and allergies and my son, I nursed for about a week, cause I didn't know much about it and had no support then and he has only been seriously ill about 3 times.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2015, 7:37 am

I didn't have any major birth complications per se, but i was affected differently than most women, by the drugs given me during labor. I knew nothing about aspergers at the time i had my kids, and even less about aspies reacting differently to meds. i was very sensitive to the synthetic morphine (nubain, not sure if it is still commonly used but it was then) given me during the birth of my first child. It took away any pain tolerance i had and put me in lala land somewhere. For a few hrs, i didn't even remember i was having a baby.

After that experience, i requested a smaller dose when it was offered during labor with my 2nd child and it was much better. Took the edge off the pain but my brain was still intact. I would recommend being aware that your med reactions might be different and talk to the midwife or dr beforehand and give them a heads up. During labor you are obviously not always in control of all your faculties and since aspies face difficulties communicating anyway--obviously labor tends to make this worse! :)