I have AS but I never had problem understanding metaphors.

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 2:16 pm

I have problems with them. Sometimes I get them like "Don't judge a book by it's cover" "We'll wait till we cross that bridge" "You're stepping on thin ice" I guess it just depends on the situation and when phrases gets used.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 4:08 pm

Chama wrote:
I've had trouble understanding common metaphors (like kill two birds with one stone), but I'm really good at figuring out literary metaphors and creating metaphors. A lot of my recreative thinking involves relating one thing to another and creating huge, complicated, universe-sized metaphors inside of my head. XD

Perhaps the general idea of AS people not understanding metaphors has more to do with not understanding metaphors that have been created by people who don't think in a similar way.

Oh, wow, that's me! I've had trouble with the average metaphors that people know (better, but working on it), but if it's included in a book or a poem, I could decipher it with proficiency. My sister says that when I write, I write with a lot of my made up metaphors, to which she said, "You should read Jack London," as she thinks that he writes with metaphors and large, complicated vocabulary words. (I've never been interested in reading Jack London books. They're too violent for me, and I can't stand it when dogs or animals die or get abused. I'm more of an English Literature kind of person.)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

Zitanier wrote:
Is that something common in people with asperger's syndrome or am I the only one?
1 dont know 2 no

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

I am extremely skilled at metaphors and interpretation of aesthetic or literary works when they interest me. Otherwise I am hopeless.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:01 pm

Chama wrote:
Perhaps the general idea of AS people not understanding metaphors has more to do with not understanding metaphors that have been created by people who don't think in a similar way.

Sounds reasonable, as well as being less in tune with the standard definition of the culture's metaphors.

I like creating metaphors, but I am likely to take them literally if it's not indicated that a metaphor is coming. I also dislike metaphors that don't make sense. Ie can't have your cake and eat it too - it's actually can't eat your cake and have it too, which makes a lot more sense.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 8:48 pm

Quote:
I also dislike metaphors that don't make sense. Ie can't have your cake and eat it too - it's actually can't eat your cake and have it too, which makes a lot more sense.

I never thought this idiom made sense. I've heard idioms and got the idea of what it meant but the picture would often be in my head.

I could never understand how the cake one made any sense. The only reason you'd want a cake would be to eat it. If you had a cake and didn't, or couldn't eat it, it be better to not ever have it.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:10 pm

I get frustrated with them at first, but as soon as they're explained to me I'm ok. I also visualize them literally, but I remember what people mean when they say them.

Skinnyboy
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2010, 10:53 pm

I've puzzled most of them out over time and got used to the idea, I also see the literal side as well. I found most of my humor comes from just describing my literal view to people, and coming up with unusual metaphors that make sense but seem unrelated.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 1:19 pm

Generally I don't have any trouble understanding jokes, puns, metaphors, sarcasm, and other expressions like that. Even as a child I never did.

chewingkebabs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2011, 1:42 pm

Never had a problem with metaphors. Even alien ones. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra."