You ever feel like you were born in the wrong time?

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 5:55 pm

“Dreamer of dreams, born out of my due time,
Why should I strive to set the crooked straight?
Let it suffice me that my murmuring rhyme
Beats with light wing against the ivory gate,
Telling a tale not too importunate
To those who in the sleepy region stay,
Lulled by the singer of an empty day.”

--William Morris, Prologue of the Earthly Paradise, 22-28

reasoning." --William Blake

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 7:13 pm

I should have been born along time ago... maybe far back like Medieval times. I'm serious... it sounds much more appealing. I can ride a horse no problem... put me behind the wheel of a car and I go into a panic attack. Also I like the idea that back then you're main focus was on survival... not all the superficial stuff that is what living life is about today... in America at least. I also like Medieval weaponry of all variants... it's a slight obsessive interest of mine. Also I like the idea of battles being played out with melee weaponry, martial styles, and arrows... there's more valor there than the lazy ass push of a button that is today's warfare :roll:

I would have liked to be Japanese as well... Samurai are friggin awesome! :P

I can list way more reasons why I'd have liked to be born back then... but It's never going to be a reality so why bother :wink:

LizzasaurusRex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Nov 2010, 8:52 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:

I would have liked to be Japanese as well... Samurai are friggin awesome! :P

I always joke that I was secretly swapped at birth with an Asian family. I love Asian culture (especially Japan, but I was obsessed with China when I was younger), most of my friends are Asian, I have a lot of "Asian" mannerisms, I even look Asian.

But as far as time zones go, I identify with the 60's and 80's way more than my current generation. I also love classical and baroque music ^_^

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2010, 11:00 pm

Aside from the lack of air conditioning, I probably should have occurred about 90-100 years ago. Or, I should have occurred in Ireland. Either way...

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 11:37 pm

I always feel like I should have been born right around 1890-1900. I think I'd be really content spending my teens and twenties following along with (and maybe contributing to) the technological marvels of the 1910s and '20s.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 5:43 am

SoulcakeDuck wrote:
I got to experience and follow the birth of video games

... a momentous achievement for which human civilization should feel chest-burstingly proud ... :?

Myself, there are a number of locations and eras in which I could have happily lived ... North America before the arrival of Europeans ... the late 1940's, after WWII ... the Western frontier after the Civil War ... Polynesia before the arrival of European explorers ...

Simpler times, all. And greatly romanticized in my mind, undoubtedly.

Last edited by CaroleTucson on 19 Nov 2010, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 7:01 am

nilescrane wrote:
I seem to be nostaglic as far as pop-culture. I listen to 60s-70s-80s-90s music...and watch shows like Seinfeld, Frasier, Married With Children, Full House, the original 90210, X-Files, Cheers, Who's The Boss, 90s Simpsons, and so on. I dress like someone from the 90s (kind of like Niles in Frasier) and like women that dress like Roz or Elaine (Business woman look.) I seem to have better conversations when I go on dates with 30 or 40 somethings than with women my own age.

The only thing I can talk to men my own age about is common friends, sports, or women. With women, I just listen to what they have to say about themselves.

I get the impression that if you gave me my same exact life, and made me this age in 1995ish, that I'd be "hip" back then.

I am 40 now and can say the 90's was a very good decade for lots of things. I loved the casual trendy look of that decade.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 11:03 am

"I wish I was born/ a thousand years ago..." --Lou Reed, "Heroin"

reasoning." --William Blake

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 3:10 pm

No.

I rather enjoy the modern age. If anything, I wish I could jump a few hundred years ahead.

In Western societies, in days of yore, "different people" got committed to asylums and if you were anything other than a white, heterosexual, Christian, middle to upper-class male, you were screwed. Oh, and I'm glad I don't have to die from a "horrible diarrhea death."

Meh.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Wilma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2010, 7:04 am

I sould be born and lived thousends years ago in the ice age, in Europe .When modern man and Neanderthals were living together in one area. I am so in love with Neanderthals , i dont know why but i am . I would like even to be a Neanderthal that time .

Last edited by Wilma on 11 Dec 2010, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2010, 7:28 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
No.

I rather enjoy the modern age. If anything, I wish I could jump a few hundred years ahead.

In Western societies, in days of yore, "different people" got committed to asylums and if you were anything other than a white, heterosexual, Christian, middle to upper-class male, you were screwed. Oh, and I'm glad I don't have to die from a "horrible diarrhea death."

Meh.
This, pretty much.

I wouldn't mind living in Wiemar during the time of Schiller and Goethe, however, but that would probably only be for a few years :P

b9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 10:19 am

Wilma wrote:
I sould be born and lived thousend years ago in the ice age, in Europe .When modern man and Neanderthals were living together in one area. I am so in love with Neanderthals , i dont know why but i am . I would like even to be a Neanderthal that time .

there was no ice age 1000 years ago believe.
but if there was, maybe that is why fred could not keep the cat out for the night.

amanda952
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2010, 2:45 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I wanna live in Futurama.

Nice, I love Futurama. :D

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:56 pm

I wish I was born in the 50's, so I could enjoy the best music ever in the 60's, 70's and 80's. It makes me want to cry because I wasn't alive for The Beatles or Jimi Hendrix, and today computers and autotuners are ruling the charts. :cry: I mean I love my computer and games consoles but I would trade it all to live in the good old days.

amanda952
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2010, 2:57 pm

Descartes wrote:
Instead of being born in 1991, I sometimes wish that I could have been born in 1981 - that way, I could have come of age in the '90s while getting a taste of the '80s.

Me too, but for slightly different reasons. My siblings were all born the mid to late seventies & if I was born in 1981 I would be closer in age to them & my life might actually make more sense. Also, I've always had a lot of older friends & if I was born in 1981 I would be able to truly be friends with them. It would be nice because then I would be able to get along with people my own age better & perhaps I might even be happier too. Also, the 80s & 90s were pretty cool, I especially like the 90s & watch a lot of shows from that time period. Another time period I like is the 1960s, they had really good music back then & I've always really liked hippies. However, the only thing I'd miss if I was growing up then would be the internet. I love the internet.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 7:21 am

As a Baby Boomer I was born at exactly the right time to enjoy the longest period of peace and prosperity and freedom that the world has ever seen.

Yes I saw the original Mickey Mouse Club and "Leave it to Beaver" on the TV.
I lived in a Midwestern town that was 99.9% white and totally safe for kids.

Then I lived in San Francisco during the golden hippie years. Right on the beach in the area called Sunset.
I drove a thumping great muscle car with a 450 cubic inch V8 but gas was only 25 cents a gallon.

Then I had the sense to move to Australia and marry an Australian.
Thank god for that because America and Europe are going downhill fast.

I live in a mud brick house in a rainforest just outside of Melbourne. All I can see from my windows are trees and ferns because three sides of my property back onto a National Park which can never be built out.

Yep, I have been very lucky.