Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 1:13 am

i'm afraid to even think about it. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Nov 2010, 1:18 am

It's possible I'll develop major memory problems but I think it'll be caused by the the meds I was on instead of Alzheimer's unless Alzheimer's can be caused/triggered by meds

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 19 Nov 2010, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 1:23 am

Is it a genetic thing? There's no history of it in my family. My mum seems like she's in the early stages of it though, and my cat seems to have it too.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 2:04 am

My Grandma and her Grandma had it, so I'm afraid I'll have it too.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 3:08 am

Do I have..... What was the question again?

Who are you and what am I doing here? :)

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2010, 5:44 am

Maybe, it depends what causes it. In my early-mid twenties I did a lot of drugs, including acid, and I'm sure that's going to come back and bite me on the butt at some point.

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2010, 9:53 am

Well, I hope not, considering my maternal grandmother's currently dying from it. :(

/shudder

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 1:59 pm

I don't think I will develop Alzheimer's, but I am fairly certain I will be developing some other kind of dementia in the far future. The reason for this is that my grandmother has dementia, but is not Alzheimer's. So we have certain genes in the family that make it more likely that I will develop dementia at some time in the future, but as far as I know we don't have the Alzheimer genes in the family.

Not that it will make an actual difference whether it is Alzheimer's or another form of dementia - the symptoms are pretty much the same... :(

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 2:05 pm

Yes. In the last couple of years I've noticed a significant loss of ability to remember a name or find the right word. Losing your independence is a terrifying prospect when you have no friends or family to see that you are properly cared for. The "good" thing is that heart disease will probably get me first.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Nov 2010, 4:11 pm

I don't think anyone in my family has Alzheimer's but my dad's very forgetful sometimes. When we go shopping; he'll ask what place I want to go to next but he might pass the place up or a turn up because he forgets we're going there. There's lots & lots of other examples I can give. He's always been like that & he just turned 58 but it's slowly getting worse. My mom's dad seems to have very similar memory problems but he's about 90. I'm not sure if my grandpa has always been like that or not but I know he's getting worse. I've always had some memory problems to but some of that could be ADHD or Dyslexia related & it might be the same with my dad to.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2010, 4:15 pm

I think that I have about as much of a chance of developing it as much as everybody else in the human gene pool. I'm human after all, right?

hastalavistas
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2010, 11:34 am

Ive had sjort memory problems my hole life, do I have significant risk to develope alzheimer?

my grandmother had alzheimer, she had many kids and a stressful life.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2010, 12:05 pm

hastalavistas wrote:
Ive had sjort memory problems my hole life, do I have significant risk to develope alzheimer?

my grandmother had alzheimer, she had many kids and a stressful life.

I think your grandmother is more of an indicator than your weak short term memory. Many people have problems with the later, so it may just be the normal way for your brain to function. There are, however, genetic factors that figure in with Alzheimer's, so having someone with it in your family increases your chance of developing it as well. There are non-genetic factors as well like the lack of physical workout or a wellbalanced diet. Basically, everything that is recommended to avoid other illnesses like heart attacks or cancer can give you a little protection from Alzheimer's as well. That your grandmother developed Alzheimer's does not mean you are bound to get it as well, it just alters the likelihood of that event.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 12:48 am

my Grandfather had Alzheimers, it was very sad to see. It hurt me to watch his mind dwindle away to the point where he didn't even recognize his own family- we made a poster of us to put next to his hospice bed so he can remember.

ive had memory problems my whole life (ADHD) and I smoked lots of pot and did molly and mushrooms the past two years and definately see a sharp decline in my short term memory and ability to put thoughts together as qucikly as i did before...hopefully it will come back after staying clean for a while I really hope i didnt screw myself at age 20. im afraid i sped up the process ten fold with the constant 2 year pot use.

Last edited by tangomike on 22 Nov 2010, 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 1:54 am

I hope not. Fortunately I have no family history of Alzheimer's, dementia, or other severe memory problems.