Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tasha1011
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Nov 2010, 7:48 pm

Comorbidity is when a condition exists with a primary condition. Many children with autism or Asperger's have other conditions.

I wrote an article that examines these other conditions that tend to exist with autism or Asperger's Disorder. You can read it at

www.suite101.com/content/conditions-tha ... z15sCq0cWX

ladybug3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2010, 9:27 pm

This is what I am writing my thesis on. I am focusing on anxiety disorders & learning disabilities for the co-morbid aspects, and also on the transition to adulthood.

So far, I have found a lot about what you said in your article, especially in regards to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder..

ladybug3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Nov 2010, 9:27 pm

This is what I am writing my thesis on. I am focusing on anxiety disorders & learning disabilities for the co-morbid aspects, and also on the transition to adulthood.

So far, I have found a lot about what you said in your article, especially in regards to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder..

shmoodie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2010, 12:06 am

Well, as I've recently posted, my son has never really had a formal diagnosis of Aspergers......However, I happened to pick up a book about AS--this is when he was about 6 years old--started reading it, and there he was!! ! He is now 16, and, over the years we have seen so many therapists, MD's, etc. The most recent psychiatrist provided us with the most intelligent diagnosis so far. It is very common for someone to have a slew of co-exiting conditions (which makes a "straight/strict" diagnosis virtually impossible). My son has symptoms of ADHD, ADD, OCD (atypical), anxiety, a non-verbal LD, and Aspergers. Mix it all together and you have one heck of a time getting through the day in a world that often doesn't have any patience for those who might need a little more attention, kindness, understanding........

I am going to read your article!

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 10:10 am

I think I have inattentive ADD, anxiety, or cycloclythmia, along with my Aspergers.

I'm not entirely sure though, but I'll know myself after my testing finishes.

Bob550
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 10:42 pm

I have Bipolar Disorder and AS. Bipolar is better when its medicated. I've been on some spending sprees I wish I hadn't. The AS for me ( which is probably plain old autism) doesn't bother me as much as the bipolar.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2010, 2:58 am

shmoodie wrote:
Well, as I've recently posted, my son has never really had a formal diagnosis of Aspergers......However, I happened to pick up a book about AS--this is when he was about 6 years old--started reading it, and there he was!! ! He is now 16, and, over the years we have seen so many therapists, MD's, etc. The most recent psychiatrist provided us with the most intelligent diagnosis so far. It is very common for someone to have a slew of co-exiting conditions (which makes a "straight/strict" diagnosis virtually impossible). My son has symptoms of ADHD, ADD, OCD (atypical), anxiety, a non-verbal LD, and Aspergers. Mix it all together and you have one heck of a time getting through the day in a world that often doesn't have any patience for those who might need a little more attention, kindness, understanding........

I am going to read your article!

how can you have symptoms of ADD AND ADHD? they're both ADHD now, just different types
not different conditions

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 8:05 pm

I have one dx that ironically is kind of like two, Schizoaffective, which is schizophrenia with mood disorder symptoms also.

But I had symptoms of something as a child too they called ADHD. It causes severe meltdowns, hyperactivity and impulsiveness, and bad social skills, though I was a smart kid, no learning disability.

I still have some social skills problems, and I focus on areas of interest but these sort of problems take a back seat when you have horrible mood symptoms and also out and out psychosis. Only one mental health professional cared about my social skills, and he was the one that thought I did in fact have AS, but sadly I moved and can't see him anymore.

Nobody things my weird focus on birds, Sonic the Hedgehog and mental illness is something that should be treated.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 5:41 am

The amount of labels I have/have had throughout my life make me look like a bowl of alphabetti spaghetti! Now my main diagnoses are: Asperger syndrome and Tourette syndrome. I have pretty much every symptom of ADHD (adult) and always have had these symptoms on top of this, inattentive type. My brother had hyperactive type (undiagnosed) and still struggles with certain things. I used to have SEVERE OCD which affected my life to the point where I couldn't leave the house. I also suffered from dyspraxia (developmental coordination disorder), Sensory integration dysfunction, General anxiety disorder, Childhood agoraphobia and panic disorder during my childhood and teen years. Put together that is:

AS, TS, ADHD, OCD, DCD, SID, GAD, CA, PD

And my doctor is trying to put borderline on the end of all that (which I am disputing because I think my symptoms fit ADD more than BPD) so that would be another three letters to add to my alphabet! Thankfully, I seem to have lost the OCD, GAD, CA and PD as I have got older!

There is definitely a high co-morbidity rate in AS. There is also a high co-morbidity rate amongst TS so it's hard to tell what came from where really!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:08 am

For me, it's depression. People treat us like crap, so it's no surprise that we have so many comorbids.

RossKF
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

I have Dyspraxia/ OCD/Eating disorder/anxiety/depression = on top of my A.S.

They first only diagnosed dyspraxia aged 11 and missed the A.S :(
It was not till I was 22 that was picked up. (25 now).

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 3:49 pm

I was dx with HFA in the past (but I think it's "just" autistic tendencies, but psychiatrist I have at the moment agrees), ADHD/ADD (I once was dx with ADHD, but now with ADD) and I fullfill the daignostic criteria for Tourettes with copropraxia, but I'm not dx with it, because I never cared getting dx with it, so I never talked much about it with psychiatrists if I told them at all. I guess it's also repression. But I wanna talk to my pschiatist about it next tuesday. I also had dyslexia as a child and since puberty recurrent depression and I'm Transgender.
I had a trauma in the past (just slight symptoms left) and schizotypal and paranoid tendencies.

So my diagnostic picture looks a lot like an abstract painting, having everything a bit...! :lol:
8O :oops: :cry:

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 4:24 pm

Jellybean wrote:
There is definitely a high co-morbidity rate in AS. There is also a high co-morbidity rate amongst TS so it's hard to tell what came from where really!

Same here.
I've a list here in a book about comorbidities in Tourettes:
(I've the bold the once I have)

Comorbidity, average, up- and downturns
TS only: 12% (2-35%)
ADHD: 60% (33-91%)
OCD: 27% (2-66%)
OCB: 32% (13-66%)
CD/ODD 15% (4-44%)
Learning disorders: 23% (3-44%)
Depression: 20% (2-47%)
Anxiety disorder: 18% (4-38%)
Developmental Disoders: 4,5% (1-9%)
mental redartation: 3,9% (1-14%)
fit of rage (ever): 36% (0-72%)
fit of rage (at the moment): 26% (0-58%)
sleeping disorders (ever): 25% (0-58%)
sleeping disorders (at the moment): 16% (0-11%)
autoaggressive behavior: 14% (4-43%)
Trichotillomania: 2,7% (0-14%)
sexual inapropriative behavior: 6% (0-18%)

explenation:
OCD: obessive-compulsive disorder, OCB: obsessive-compulsive behavior), CD: conduct disorder, ODD: oppositional defiant disorder

poemadayguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2014, 5:58 pm

RossKF wrote:

Hi, I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia at age 5 and I am thinking of getting a diagnosis to see if I have Aspergers Syndrome. I am now 18 so I am wondering how you got diagnosed with Aspergers at such a late age. Please PM me.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie.

Culture Fair IQ:128 (Top 4%)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 5:06 am

poemadayguy wrote:
RossKF wrote:

Hi, I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia at age 5 and I am thinking of getting a diagnosis to see if I have Aspergers Syndrome. I am now 18 so I am wondering how you got diagnosed with Aspergers at such a late age. Please PM me.

Why do you think 22 is a late age?
AS is a lifelong condition.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 3:05 am

Along with my ASD....apparently Developmental Disorder NOS according to my therapist and psychiatrist though I also have a diagnoses of aspergers from a neuropsychologist. Anyways aside from the autism I have anxiety, depression and as far as I can tell PTSD but can't seem to get a formal diagnoses of that even though therapists and some psychatrists(in the psych ward) defiantly thought it fit and I exibit a significant amount of symptoms such as avoiding situations that remind me of the trauma and lots more but I won't list it all here.