Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:49 am

The Neanderthal Theory of Autism is the best evidence that I have ever seen for a fundamentally romantic streak amongst people with autistic spectrum disorders.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 9:25 am

StuartN wrote:
The Neanderthal Theory of Autism is the best evidence that I have ever seen for a fundamentally romantic streak amongst people with autistic spectrum disorders.

QFT.
what can i do? i'm a rainbows and unicorns kind of girl :P

Zitanier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2010, 10:02 am

nominalist wrote:
The Neanderthal theory of Autism is pseudoscience.

Says the member of the Baha'i Faith.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 10:40 am

Zitanier wrote:
nominalist wrote:
The Neanderthal theory of Autism is pseudoscience.

Says the member of the Baha'i Faith.

yeah, i noticed that, but the link got me nowhere....what Is that thing?
edit: oh nevermind, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_Faith
Quote:
When a human dies, the soul passes into the next world, where its spiritual development in the physical world becomes a basis for judgment and advancement in the spiritual world.

mkaayyy......

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:22 pm

starygrrl wrote:
Most people of Euro-Asian descent are not "pure" homo sapians genetically speaking, we are in fact a share both homo sapien and neanderthal DNA. People of African descent do not share this hybrid DNA as much. Genetically speaking Euro-asians have a 50% homo sapien and 50% Neanderthal DNA makeup.

Thats one of the theories I was addressing.
The theory is that anatomically moderns (who originated in Africa) invaded europe and western asia. They then hybrodized with the natives.

The natives were the Neanderthals.

So did the CM's and Neanderthals interbreed?

First of all-even if your theory were correct it would NOT have been a fifty fifty mix.
If it were fifty-fifty- then one group would not have absorbed the other and neanderthal looking folks would still be around.
The concept is that the Cromagnons would have genetically swamped the neanderthals and diluted the Neanderthals down causing them to disappear as a distinct group. This could only happen if the CM's were more numerous than the Neanderthals. Thus even then the mix would have had to have been more lopsided than fifty-fifty in favor of DNA from CM's- surviving in the modern genome.

New evidence has come in the last few years and it does not show even this kind of hypbridizing having taken place.

The evidence shows that very little interbreeding took place between the two groups.
Not zero, but very little.

The living individuals (like Ozzy Osbourne) who do have neanderthal DNA are few and far between even in Europe, and the DNA they have is only-perhaps- one percent of their genome.

Its on the order of one percent of europeans are one percent Neanderthal.

Thats hardly a fifty fifty mix! Do the math-its more like ten thousand to one mix. Or atleast thats what the latest research shows.

Look in the mirror. Do you see a face that looks fifty percent Neanderthal?
I hope not!

Libelula85

25 Nov 2010, 1:55 pm

I see a Neanderthal* when I look at my father and when I look at myself.

--

* The current archetype of Neanderthal is more beautiful than in the past.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 6:44 pm

I believe that people are getting contentious over the idea of "throwbacks," in spite of suggestions that both branches were sophisticated and existed contemporaneously.

slartibartfastibast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

Neanderthals range from 1200-1750cc, but I did get Cro-Magnon mixed up with AMH. Herpderp.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Sep 2011, 7:56 pm

LINK: BACARDI, Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals
At the dawn of humanity there were Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals. Neanderthals had bigger brains, better tools, better hair but Homo Sapiens had one advantage: they communicated in more than 140 characters, they hung out, they danced together, shared stories, told each other not to eat poisonous berries, they made friends so they flourished through love, compassion and other themes found in chick literature. They became HUMAN.

So let's fight what keeps us apart. Fight the lazy excuses, the status updates, the little white headphones, fight that damn clock because WE ARE ALL MEANT TO BE TOGETHER.

This Friday COME TOGETHER HUMANS over a BACARDI MOJITO and the special sound of NEBAT DRUMS.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

http://www.nouvelles.umontreal.ca/reche ... -nous.html

Not related to autism, and it's in french, but if you can read it, it does confirm that there are genetic traces of neanderthal within modern humans, mostly from chromosome X. It apparently excludes people from Africa descent, and people from Asian descents apparently had an equivalent, the man of Denisova which comes Melanasia (sorry for the odd translation, please correct me if i'm wrong).

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm

flamingshorts wrote:
LINK: BACARDI, Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals
At the dawn of humanity there were Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals. Neanderthals had bigger brains, better tools, better hair but Homo Sapiens had one advantage: they communicated in more than 140 characters, they hung out, they danced together, shared stories, told each other not to eat poisonous berries, they made friends so they flourished through love, compassion and other themes found in chick literature. They became HUMAN.

So let's fight what keeps us apart. Fight the lazy excuses, the status updates, the little white headphones, fight that damn clock because WE ARE ALL MEANT TO BE TOGETHER.

This Friday COME TOGETHER HUMANS over a BACARDI MOJITO and the special sound of NEBAT DRUMS.

First commercialization of the new the research that concludes Neanderthal DNA exists in the population. I was expecting to see T-shirts that stated I'm a neanderthal, or I'm with the Neanderthal :arrow: , or designer neanderthal genes, oops I mean jeans.

Before long, I expect to see people paying big bucks to see if they are part Neanderthal, just for the fun of, if they have the money to blow.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 11:40 pm

Last I heard, respectable anthropologists were saying that Neanderthal were Homo Sapiens, not to mention fully human themselves, and we do have some skeletons of intermediate forms, probably "half-breeds" from mostly the Middle East. Jean Auel did her homework before she wrote her fiction. I haven't studied Anthropology texts since the DNA work started ("The Double Helix" had been published), but you can still tell a lot from skeletons, though little or nothing about behavior.

As for theory and evidence, hypothesis comes before evidence: when you have a hypothesis that seems plausible, you design experiments that might or might not confirm it. Those are the evidence. When you have a whole pile of experiments that tend to confirm the hypothesis, and none that flatly contradict it, THEN you have a theory. "Faith" in theories or anything else has no place in the Scientific Method.

TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Sep 2011, 6:52 am

Neandertal was living in very small tribes up to 10 individuals. Therefore they didn't develop social skills.

Neanterdal lived during the ice age in extrem survival conditions. Survival was based on extremly accurate observation of the environment (to see hints left by preys for exemple)

How to explain that european have light skin, even those living in sunny countries like Italy, without the nerdetal theory?

How to explain the big Supraorbital foramen of europeans without the neaderthal theory?

I might be a pseudoscience, but keep in mind that as much BS has emerged from science than from pseudoscience.

3 years ago, the assunption that neanderthal and cro-magnon mixed was eccentric, now there is no doubt about it.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 10:21 am

TheWingman wrote:

3 years ago, the assunption that neanderthal and cro-magnon mixed was eccentric, now there is no doubt about it.

So how come I learned about it fifty years ago at KU, while learning about those intermediate form skeletons (the dating was late, so it was figured that they were a mixed race, after the period of the "classic" Neanderthalers.)? I don't remember whether I read it in a text or heard about it from a teacher.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 11:18 am

TheWingman wrote:
Neandertal was living in very small tribes up to 10 individuals. Therefore they didn't develop social skills.

Neanterdal lived during the ice age in extrem survival conditions. Survival was based on extremly accurate observation of the environment (to see hints left by preys for exemple)

How to explain that european have light skin, even those living in sunny countries like Italy, without the nerdetal theory?

How to explain the big Supraorbital foramen of europeans without the neaderthal theory?

I might be a pseudoscience, but keep in mind that as much BS has emerged from science than from pseudoscience.

The light skin has something to do with the lack of sunlight. The skin doesn't need as much melanin to cope with intense sun light like what's found near the equator so it gets lighter. Also, the winter in Europe would have kept the people living back then inside longer than closer to the equator resulting in much less exposure to sunlight.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:46 pm

Wait a minute...haven't we gone forward and not backward? I thought science and technology has increased life expectancy and made peopl healthier. It seems like our species has yet to reach it's prime.

Just because we are smaller than elephants doesn't mean we have peaked.