Self-Publishing For this idea, good idea or not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 11:34 am

It would be a small book, like 30 pages. I spent most of yesterday writing concerning my experience with Fresno county health services. The forced treatment ect, I am going to have the book online for free. I'm not sure if I should try to self-publish or not. It has a jazzy title called "Turning in Big Brother", most people know big brother is a nick name for the government, the issue is highly political it was a government health facility. I present it I believe in a way that I think confronts the issue directly and in a way that I think is great politically.

I think what I would like to do is pay an editor to edit the errors and suggest a few things, then pay for 100-200 copies of the book myself in paperback. I can ship copies to Amazon and a few other places like B & N without cost to them. Then market it online with pay per click.

I don’t really want to make money, just get it out there.

Does anyone know of a service that will print the books on request as needed? What about an editor that will read it and suggest things?

In a few days I hope to have it completed in rough draft and will be available online. I however want to add additional things to the book to support my concluding arguments legally, ethically and concerning human rights in a way most readers can absorb.

Good price of the book would be $7.99

Edit: Oh yes, to ship them to libraries for free as well.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 4:08 pm

Well as fellow writer and as a novelist I have given up on going the traditional publishing route. I've decided going Self Publishing route my self. They're great POD publishers out there and believe me I know. I've searched high and low for any sort of publisher willing to publish my novels. Actually I was given two contracts. One from a publisher with shady practices and another wanting almost $4000 from. I turned both of them down. I've decided to go get published with AuthorHouse. Try them they might help you.

flea
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2006, 4:25 pm

you can publish and sell books on cafepress.com

sc
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 6:00 pm

Cafepress is very very limited.

I found a way of getting the books printed for $3 or so dollars each. I just won't get new furniture for my apartment. I'll get a few hundred copies and will easily find a way to get a mailing list of california libraries. They will not cost that much to ship each by slow mail.

I'm including some other things in the book, I'm going to try to make it 50 pages.

http://www.lulu.com/

There is one company for $500 that will get it on Amazon, B &N as well as other outlets. So at least they will be able to be ordered from there.

http://www.iuniverse.com/packages/

The idea is to make a small book that is an easy read putting forth balanced points of views for the rights of the disabled in similar situations.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 6:38 am

This is what I have thus far, it will be changed to include more content.

http://www.nathanyoung.net/turninginbig ... erone.html