Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

16 Jun 2006, 4:12 pm

wobbegong wrote:
Pay close attention to your parents. Do one or both of them get upset about
change, sudden change in routine, surprises?
Does one or both of them like particular food, can smell everything - like burning things ie someone smoking from far away? Do one or both like it quiet and calm at home? Do one or both of them dislike parties or find them hard work? Does one (or both) like to give long lectures on why things should be done their way and they don't always ask your opinion? As you learn more about aspie traits - look out for them in your parents.

Actually, my dad loves dealing with people and is an expert at motivating, managing, and interacting with them. He's one of the most extroverted people I know, and my little sister is the same. He also has no real sensory extrasensitivity, although he does have a bizarre allergy to the cold. On the other hand, he can be big on lectures, but I don't see how that makes him an Aspie.

My mother is mildly introverted, but she enjoys parties, doesn't mind noise too much, and likes being around people most of the time. Both of my parents are also good about asking my opinion on things that concern me.

Then again, my grandfather apparantly has an extremely sensitive nose (like mine), my paternal aunt cannot stand too much noise, and depression runs through both sides of my family...

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 7:10 pm

I don't think vaccines cause all aspergers. my family had a history of 'strangeness' before vacines were used. My parents said that i always acted different from other kids, even before vaccine.

vaccines may
:?: cause symptoms to appear sooner

:?: make symptoms more severe

*edit= i don't think that it causes aspergers but i could be wrong. i am wrong a lot. :roll: ( :D )

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2006, 1:18 am

"That was when I was younger. Now my AS is getting better."

I'm happy for you! I wish it was the same with me....I've kind of withdrawn from the whole social scene I was never all that good at anyways (I used to make a good friend, which took ages, and then piggy back on them into the social scene) and now my obsessions dominate my life even moreso than they used to, even affecting my school work (something I used to pride myself on).

"Gosh you were diagnosed young weren't you? I didn't realise you could get AS diagnosed when you were that young."

I'm not sure about an actual diagnosis, but when I told my mom that I think I have asperger's (which she had never heard about before), she read through an article I gave her and then told me that she had noticed many of the symptoms mentioned in the article in me when I was around age 2 (for instance, my older brother used to cry and scream and want attention all the time, I used to lay on the floor at the same age, off in my own world, oblivious to what was going on around me, which is incredibly unusual for a baby), so I'm assuming it is possible to be diagnosed that young. I would think the diagnosis would be harder to make though.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 4:57 am

I'm not sure the "work ethic" has anything to do with aspergers. I know a few people I'd say have asperger's traits that work very hard in their chosen fields - things like engineering and science. They prefer doing that stuff to anything else. Like work-aholics.

I'm not sure about the frugal thing either - it's neither here nor there. It depends whether a person knows well enough what it is like to be hungry because you don't have any money for food. My grandfather and father and mother, and myself briefly - all know what that feels like. So we were all really really careful with our money. My great grandfather, however, didn't have a clue that his money could run out if he spent more than he made, so he did run out of money, which caused considerable hardship on the next generations.

My dad got along very well with people, he always liked to know what made them tick, but he found it hard work and liked time to himself too. He was very good at giving lectures and had a wicked sense of humour. I've heard of people seeking his stuff out because it could be so entertaining as well as informative. And I've been able to do this as well - but I'm still aspie. I'm sure he was too.

captain_brown

Um, did I say "don't ask your parents about your childhood?" I did say - don't tell them they're aspie. I said it a little indirectly but that's what I meant.

Did you read the link about the vaccine? They actually took out the mercury that was supposed to cause aspergers, but cases of aspergers continued to be diagnosed at an increasing rate. If the mercury was a cause the number of cases being diagnosed, should have reduced not increased. Your vaccines might not even have had mercury in it. In Canada they stopped using the mercury stuff, in 1996, if you were vaccinated when you were two, that would be 1997. If they stopped using thiomersal (mercury stuff) in the USA at the same time - you would not have received any. Maybe you could ask about that?

For some of the rest of you, the things you describe that you assume exclude your parents from being aspie, are mostly things they could have learned how to do. This is good because they can teach you too. Ask some questions about what their childhoods were like. Be aware that they might not tell you much of the bad things so you might have to ask specifically - like what are the best things you remember about school and what were the worst? Did you have lots of parties with lots of friends over? I pretty much had none until I got to uni, and I suspect quite a few of those were organised by my uni friends not me, they just used my house as a venue.

And that's just the social side. You can ask about all the other criteria too. Were your parents good at sport, did they get picked first or last in PE classes, what kind of books did they/do they like reading, when did they learn to read, were they always good with people or did that come over time?

Being aspie doesn't mean you are doomed to be a social cripple all your life. There's a balance somewhere between complete loner and total party person.

I guess I'm being as clear as mud like I was with the previous post.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 12:01 pm

I was born in 1994, I am 11 years old, OK! They took it out after I had that vaccine. Hopefully, it won't get worse the next time I get that same one.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

17 Jun 2006, 12:39 pm

Wobbegong-- Both of my parents were good at sports, and my mother especially. She actually got a partial college scholarship for track and basketball. Neither of them had any trouble at dealing with people during childhood, either--actually, judging by their recollections, both of them were fairly high-status. (I do ask my parents for stories of what their school experiences were!) I also have a younger sister who is as far from an Aspie as it is possible to get--VERY social, very athletic, and good at reading expressions as well as caring a lot about what people think.

Actually, I do think that AS is at least partially genetic and I don't believe the vaccine hype at all. I'm simply aware that the idea of either of my parents being Aspies is laughable. The rest of my family--that is, my aunts, grandparents, and uncles--are a completely different story. For this reason, I'm more certain that at least some of the genes involved are recessive. My paternal grandfather, for instance, is just as rather obsessively interested in languages as I am, and my maternal grandfather has a phenomenal sense of smell that I also have (which has caused both of us trouble in the past).

cherubfish
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2006, 12:49 pm

Captain_Brown wrote:
I am an 11 year old girl with Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed at age 2, right after I had my last round of immunizations. After I had my last round of immunizations. That's when I started acting weird.

Diagnosed at 2? You are really lucky.

I'm a lot older than you and till now I never had a proper diagnose.

People in my country don't know a lot about AS, and the psychiatrists just read out from books...

There were a few members of my father's family that acted odd.
But they are all dead now, so we don't know if they have AS or not...

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 3:25 am

SolaCatella

I can see how the recessive gene thing would work. Hopefully if your parents could see aspie traits in one of their parents, they would tolerate it ok in you. But sometimes the opposite happens and the child may hate that aspect of their parent(s).

Captain Brown

Think what you want. My arthmetic is pretty crappy, but 2006 - 11 makes 1995, 1995 + 2 is 1997. They took it out in 1996 (in Canada - maybe not where you live, I don't know). However, if you look at the study - it pretty consistently said cases of aspergers went up while the mercury was reduced gradually to nothing. This means that mercury does not cause aspergers. I hope you get that little bit of logic based on scientific research.

As SolaCatella said, it may be that someone else in your family tree has aspergers, and you have an expression of a recessive gene. Or you could be adopted and then you might not have anything much in common with your parents. I don't know one way or the other about this either.

I don't know why you and presumably your parents are so keen to blame the vaccines. I think aspergers is a good thing. I think my family wouldn't be as successful as it has been without it. There were a few black sheep but most of us are doing just fine, thank you. Focus on the good things.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

18 Jun 2006, 6:35 am

well I think its wicked helpful that we have these sites like this one and as4us.net that provide a place to talk and sort out the things we've got going on with others!