Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 3:42 pm

I am an 11 year old girl with Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed at age 2, right after I had my last round of immunizations. After I had my last round of immunizations. That's when I started acting weird.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 4:16 pm

Hmm acting werid can you describe this weird because all of us Aspies always do things that are weird. Welcome to the Aspie club. To bad no hadn't commented here as yet. What have you been doing that is werid.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 4:25 pm

That was when I was younger. Now my AS is getting better.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 4:26 pm

I'm glad to hear that. I'm glad your doing well.

flea
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2006, 4:31 pm

hi *waves*

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 4:36 pm

Gosh you were diagnosed young weren't you? I didn't realise you could get AS diagnosed when you were that young. Was it suggested that it was linked to the immunizations? I'm asking this because my AS was suspected of being linked to the MMR vaccine I had when I was very young. According to my parents, it was after this vaccine that my behaviour markedly changed, and no one really knows whether it is or not as no one in my family has it. I think personally I just turned out this way but hey, meh.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 7:14 pm

Fiz wrote:
Gosh you were diagnosed young weren't you? I didn't realise you could get AS diagnosed when you were that young. Was it suggested that it was linked to the immunizations? I'm asking this because my AS was suspected of being linked to the MMR vaccine I had when I was very young. According to my parents, it was after this vaccine that my behaviour markedly changed, and no one really knows whether it is or not as no one in my family has it. I think personally I just turned out this way but hey, meh.

A lot of people have the theory that it has something to do with vaccines because, as in Captain Brown's case, the first symptoms usually appear shortly after those immunizations. I'm personally inclined to think it's mostly genetic, but because it's so multi-faceted I do wonder if immunizations don't somehow aggravate the condition (like say, the genetics set up the potential and then the immunization increases that possibility - especially since it comes at a really pivotal time in the child's development). Then sometimes I'm just as inclined to think it's purely coincidence (shrugs).

Last edited by phoenixjsu on 15 Jun 2006, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flea
Raven
Raven

15 Jun 2006, 7:20 pm

alot of people think it's vacines too but that's kinda the age when symptoms would surfuse anyways.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 10:51 pm

Maybe the immunizations make the symptoms come sooner. But still, I was immunized, and I never got diagnosed with Asperger's until I was 9, however I was still diagnosed with some form of autism when I was 3 or 4. But 2 years old is really young to be diagnosed with Asperger's; it's really rare actually.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 11:34 pm

Captain Brown

I can discredit the vaccine theory two ways...

1. they've done the research in Montreal
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/s ... 619796.htm
(read the transcript).

2. People with lots of Asperger's traits have been around longer than vaccines have. In fact someone with aspergers probably discovered and developed vaccines. Asperger's used to be called things like eccentric and single minded and a lot of scientists and doctors show many aspergers traits.

For most people, they get it from their parents!

The reason your parents noticed when you were around two, is because that is the age that most children start getting difficult to deal with and the parents seize on any explanation they can find to explain it. But it's all part of growing up. So maybe the standard ways of dealing with tempermental two year olds didn't work with you so your parents had to dig some more.

Pay close attention to your parents. Do one or both of them get upset about
change, sudden change in routine, surprises?
Does one or both of them like particular food, can smell everything - like burning things ie someone smoking from far away? Do one or both like it quiet and calm at home? Do one or both of them dislike parties or find them hard work? Does one (or both) like to give long lectures on why things should be done their way and they don't always ask your opinion? As you learn more about aspie traits - look out for them in your parents.

When they complain about something you do, you can reply - you do that too.... :twisted:

Of course your parents might not want to hear this diagnosis from their child - so I wouldn't throw it in their face directly.

Pay attention to the good things about being aspie, being good at researching ideas, and finding everything about something, being very honest and direct etc and remind your parents there are good things too.

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2006, 7:52 am

There have been theories that AS is linked to the MMR vaccine, and because of that my parents wouldn't let me get the booster shot, just in case it affected me in any way. I personally think AS is more to do with genetics than anything, but either way it'll be interesting to see if people finally discover what it really is. Anyway, welcome to the forums Captain_Brown! :D

Help revive ReBoot!

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:39 pm

What do you mean that you AS is getting "better"? Does this mean that you are focusing it more positively, or taking control of it, or something else?

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:46 pm

My parents never had Autism or Asperger's. I think I am the 1st one in the family tree to have it. My mother thought it was my last round of immunizations as an infant. Then, I acted really horrible like in my mind. I repeated the same thing over and over, acting crazy, obsessed over everything, behavior, and social skills were horrible. My social skills have improved. All of those things have improved.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:51 pm

Wobbegong,

Not to be mean, but my parents really like for me to ask about my childhood, it doesn't bother them. Only some of the things did, but most of the things I asked wasn't a problem at all. I wasn't saying anything to complain, I didn't mean it by that way. I was saying what happened after my vaccines.

Emily Danielle Brown

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2006, 12:58 pm

wobbegong wrote:
Captain Brown

I can discredit the vaccine theory two ways...

1. they've done the research in Montreal
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/s ... 619796.htm
(read the transcript).

2. People with lots of Asperger's traits have been around longer than vaccines have. In fact someone with aspergers probably discovered and developed vaccines. Asperger's used to be called things like eccentric and single minded and a lot of scientists and doctors show many aspergers traits.

For most people, they get it from their parents!

The reason your parents noticed when you were around two, is because that is the age that most children start getting difficult to deal with and the parents seize on any explanation they can find to explain it. But it's all part of growing up. So maybe the standard ways of dealing with tempermental two year olds didn't work with you so your parents had to dig some more.

Pay close attention to your parents. Do one or both of them get upset about
change, sudden change in routine, surprises?
Does one or both of them like particular food, can smell everything - like burning things ie someone smoking from far away? Do one or both like it quiet and calm at home? Do one or both of them dislike parties or find them hard work? Does one (or both) like to give long lectures on why things should be done their way and they don't always ask your opinion? As you learn more about aspie traits - look out for them in your parents.

When they complain about something you do, you can reply - you do that too.... :twisted:

Of course your parents might not want to hear this diagnosis from their child - so I wouldn't throw it in their face directly.

Pay attention to the good things about being aspie, being good at researching ideas, and finding everything about something, being very honest and direct etc and remind your parents there are good things too.

Uh, Wobbegong, my parents have the following traits:

:arrow: They like it calm and quiet in their areas (although they don't mind my music as long as my bedroom door is closed)

:arrow: My dad likes to joke around a lot.

:arrow: My parents have lost their tempers at times.

:arrow: My parents are frugal.

:arrow: My mom has told me countless times that she was the biggest geek in high school everytime I feel discouraged, which does not help.

:arrow: My dad was a quiet kid.

:arrow: My parents like to take a two-hour nap every Sunday, and when they do, they want the house quiet, which means my stereo needs to either be turned down low, or I have to opt to using headphones.

:arrow: My dad is really good at math, and is an accountant.

But, yet, what keeps me from diagnosing them with Asperger's Syndrome is that they have a strong work ethic, and they get along with people pretty well. Do you think that any of these traits would constitute as having Asperger's? There are more traits I can come up with, but I have to get ready for work now, so bye.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:59 pm

My parents never had any of these aspie trails at all. None of them in my family, I don't think.