Top 5 Scariest Horror games That You think are scary.

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 2:24 pm

Ketsuban wrote:
1. System Shock 2
2. System Shock 2
3. System Shock 2
4. System Shock 2
5. System Shock

Sorry, guys: SHODAN has cornered the market. 8)

System Shock 2. Yep, that game gave me the heebie-jeebies.

mashado
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2010, 2:53 am

1. Amnesia: The dark descent
2. Penumbra series
3. Clive Barker's undying
4. Resident evil remake
5. Silent Hill 1 or 2

The last are more creepy then scary. i recomend a good dose of the n.º 1 for everyone who likes scary games, and never tried it.
Call of chtulhu seems interesting. its a shame i never tried it.
Btw i played some games like Doom 3, Fear, Dead Space, and i dont understand how anyone older then 12 can say those games are scary.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:44 pm

Zitanier wrote:
Chiller

Ha ha.

I never got to play that game when I was younger, but I'm sure if I had, it would've scared the crap out of me.

But then again, when I was little, skeletons scared me...I remember watching my uncle play Shadowgate on NES and I kept hiding.

mashado wrote:
1. Amnesia: The dark descent
Call of chtulhu seems interesting. its a shame i never tried it.

If Amnesia is the game I think it is (and it probably is), it owes a LOT to Dark Corners of the Earth. I was watching the video for it and it borrows heavily from it.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 2:10 pm

Since lots of people mentioned it, I myself have not played Call of Cthulhu, but I did watch a playthrough on youtube and it looked pretty intense, and intersting (I am a sucker for the story of horror games despite being easily scared).

Zitanier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2010, 9:31 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Zitanier wrote:
Chiller

Ha ha.

I never got to play that game when I was younger, but I'm sure if I had, it would've scared the crap out of me.
I played this on Mame32 when I around 6-7 years old. It scared me very much and I never dared to play this again.
We may say that age ratings in games are BS and boast that no matter how inappropriate the game was, we felt ok, but this game was definitely not suitable for minors!

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:51 am

I LOVE horror games! I used to play them all the time when I was younger, but now the new horror games just aren't scary anymore. :( Anyways here are my favorites!

1. Siren, a horror game set in a cursed Japanese village called Hanuda where the water has turned to blood, the mountain village is trapped by a red sea, and the undead walk and behave like normal people but will violent kill any living person. You play as several different characters across a timeline of 3 days as they try to survive and figure out what is going on in the village. I found this game to be the scariest because unlike most horror games there are no health items and you can die in just one hit, the zombies are unkillable and very deadly, and the atmosphere was very realistic and creepy. The whole time you play the game you are given a feeling of utter despair like you really are trapped.

2. Haunting Ground, a horror game where you play as a teenage girl named Fiona who becomed trapped in a castle full os psychotic servants who want to murder her. Her only friend is a dog named Hewie who she rescues from a trap, and together they have to work to survive. This game the heroine wasn't a strong character. She could only fight by kicking, throwing things, and training her dog to fight for her, but most of the game she protects herself by hiding from enemies. I also loved how this game was done in the style of those old slasher movies, where Fiona's death was always done off screen and you only heard gruesome noises to imply her death.

3. Silent Hill 3, while I think all the Silent Hill games are scary, Silent Hill 3 was just my personal favorite. The mysterious town of Silent Hill is filled with so much evil and disturbing images. The monsters are very horrifying and deformed, and the heroes or heroines are always ordinary people who are somehow connected to the town and the events that are happening.

4. Fatal Frame, a horror game set in Japan with a very unique method of killing enemies: you take their photos. In Fatal Frame you play as a psychic Japanese girl who enters a cursed mansion to search for her missing brother, and her only weapon is an antique camera with the power to capture the souls of the dead. The mansion has had a long history of evil human sacrifaces, and somewhere it went wrong and caused everyone in the mansion to die and come back as evil spirits. Those who enter the mansion are said to never be seen again. The atmosphere in the game was very creepy, and the ghosts were realistic and horrifying. Plus each ghost had their own story of how they died.

5. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, my favorite game in the series and the one I consider the most scary. You play as Jill Valentine from the first game who finds herself trapped in Raccoon City during a zombie outbreak and is fighting for survival. However a new mutant called Nemsis has been released in the city to assassinate the surviving STARS officers such as her.

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Dec 2010, 5:27 pm

1.Thief The Dark Project (Okay not a horror game but it was damn scary in places at times)
2.System Shock 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4 F.E.A.R (Orginal one was well executed and scared the crap out of me at times. Falling lifts in offices when your working around the lift shafts anyone. Alma also freaks you out at the end won't say why if you have not played...
5. Doom and Doom2 I was 14 when these two came out and at the time they where scary as hell if you played them in a dark room with the lights off and the sound up!

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 10:56 pm

I am playing Call of Cthulhu intermittently right now. Provided the game doesn't wreck my system, I'll see how far I can get in it.
I think I've got about half-way through it now and it does get up there in the creepiness factor. I'd say the sewers under Insmouth have been the creepiest place to be so far; lots of strange events, hallucinations, and the ever present wondering of when you'll run into Shoggoth(which I haven't so far).
Gotta say, the Insmouth folk aren't very bright...

I want to play Amnesia after this.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 10:03 pm

Zero Tolerance - early twenties, playing at the wee hours of the morning, You're in a dark room, you hear scuttering about...
Doom 3
Doom
Clive Barker's Undying
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 11:48 pm

The first three Silent Hill games are the most genuinely scary video games I know of. The type of transdimensional horror that seriously messes with your mind. SH2 especially.

The old Splatterhouse series is nice and creepy, especially for its time. I can't choose a favorite out of the series, but I think Splatterhouse 3 is the darkest and most disturbing. I haven't played the new game yet since I still don't have a current generation console. It looks like a lot of fun, but seems to lack some of the eerie atmosphere of the old games and lean more towards Evil Dead style "splatstick" comedy (which I also love, but still...).

Glad to see someone mention Shadowgate. There is some really haunting stuff in that game. The game over screen with the Grim Reaper and macabre music always got to me.

Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 4:58 am

lazuruswolf wrote:
1.Thief The Dark Project (Okay not a horror game but it was damn scary in places at times)
2.System Shock 2
3. Resident Evil 4
4 F.E.A.R (Orginal one was well executed and scared the crap out of me at times. Falling lifts in offices when your working around the lift shafts anyone. Alma also freaks you out at the end won't say why if you have not played...
5. Doom and Doom2 I was 14 when these two came out and at the time they where scary as hell if you played them in a dark room with the lights off and the sound up!

Agreed on all points.

Was not spoken of the soul.

paterfamilias
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2010, 7:08 pm

System Shock 2. Hands down. I still get goosebumps everytime I hear a monkey scream. The scene in Toy Story 3 with the sentry monkey abomination sets my teeth on edge. Ugh.

EDIT: Forgot to mention roguelike games. Ancient Domains of Mystery, Dungeon Crawl & Dwarf Fortress (not properly a roguelike, but whatevs). Not designed to be horror games as such, but I've not played another style of game that has reduced me to such paralysing fear. The hope of success is there, just faintly, but the punishment for failure is so high and can come so swiftly. You never know if this next room will contain some greater demon lord.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 11:06 pm

Dead Space
Silent Hill
Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 11:15 pm

I don't have a Wii (maybe one day I will, I hope lol) but "JU-ON: The GRudge" looks like it might be scary http://www.juonthegrudgegame.com/juon.html

Video of people playing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT6kHL4A_Cg

This one looks pretty scrary too "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M627-obxNzg

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 10:28 am

here is my top 5..

1.Resident Evil 1
2.Silent Hill
3. F.E.A.R
4.Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
5.BioShock

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2010, 5:17 pm

Silent Hill 2 is really the only game I've played that I still find "scary" as an adult. Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil, even Silent Hill 3 make your character too heavily armed and damage-resistant. A game's atmosphere is less unsettling when you've got a machinegun or a flamethrower.
That said, I love Left 4 Dead