Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Do you experience echolalia? Do you mimic accents?
Echolalia: Yes. Accents: Yes. 55%  55%  [ 18 ]
Echolalia: Yes. Accents: No. 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Echolalia: No. Accents: Yes. 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Echolalia: No. Accents: No. 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 33

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:06 am

Some aspies experience echolalia. Other aspies don't.
Some aspies love to mimick accents. Other aspies don't.

I experience echolalia and I love to mimic accents.
Are the two things related?

P.S.
Echolalia can manifest itself in many ways. Some examples:
* Putting an exaggerated amount of a word you recently heard into your current speech.
* Putting an exaggerated amount of a word you recently read into your current writing.
* Repeating short phrases from songs/films you like.
Etc.

http://www.autscape.org/

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2010, 12:03 pm

I've often got fascinated with a word or phrase I hear on TV, and tried to find occasion to use it in actual conversation. Never knew this was a symptom of anything, just thought I was good at remembering stuff I read/heard.

I'm very good at changing my voice in a number of ways. I started changing accents based on who I was around. For my parents, I'd speak normally. When I was with my babysitter's family (thick country twang), I'd imitate that just to sound like they do. As I got older, I learned to imitate accents from TV and movies to be funny. Humor is the one thing I've figured out and become fairly good at socially. The most interesting voice I do is the Quizno's subs rats from a few years ago, they have a very high pitched squeaky sound, which sounds very odd coming out of a 6 ft tall guy.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:05 pm

I will have words or phrases get stuck in my head, but I don't speak them.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:25 pm

I repeat words or phrases, but I don't mimick anybody's accent, doesn't matter if it's fromt he movie or real person. But I noticed that other people use my accent.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:25 pm

Years ago I repeated exactly what some guy was saying to me. It just came out of my mouth. That may have been just once or a couple times. I've done something similar with people saying pretty much what somone would say when they were leaving work.

I always go through phrases which may change after time. Usually I only say them in my head but at home I can say them outloud. I especially do that outloud with my girlfriend(first and only).
I'll also ask her one of my phrase-like questions which have no need for an answer. She says she's never seen anyone be like that.

Sometimes I really just want to say these things outload in general. I can do them because I'm excited or nervous or nothing.

My mom has told me I was exhausting because I'd ask the same question over and over again no matter the answer given. I'm not sure if this, or some of the above, is really "perseveration", which I'm told I do.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:36 pm

I've had the word "English" in my head for about 6 years. When I experience something I like my first thought is "English". I have no idea why. Sometimes it seems to be related to pool technique. I don't play pool, but my dad is very good at it and talks about it. Maybe that's how I picked it up. I don't know what it is, though.

Bleu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2010, 1:07 pm

I always thought echolalia is simply repeating words after other people, which I don't do. But I do get words stuck in my head all the time, for no reason. It can be a word, a name, a name + surname, anything. I also mimic accents.

zweisamkeit
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2010, 1:31 pm

i will hear a word or phrase and it will be stuck in my head and i will whisper it.
i dont realize i am saying it out loud at all and a lot of people thing i am talking to myself.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:38 pm

Here's a link on Echolalia I found (on children, though). It has definitions and characteristics.

http://www.specialed.us/autism/verbal/verbal11.html

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 2:26 pm

I'm not sure if being to perform certain accents and dialects almost perfectly is echolalia, since I do that often. I can perform accents, but they aren't accurate.

I might have been experiencing echolaliac patterns in my mind, as I can get stuck on this phrase in my head, and, even though I don't say it out loud, it keeps repeating.

I can sometimes actually mimic voices of a different gender. For example, I can make my voice sound extremely deep and masculine (I'm female, by the way), and it just sounds male. I can mimic certain character's voices, which my sister likes to hear (especially if it's a hot male anime guy).

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:25 am

According to the poll results, it does seem echolalia and mimicking accents are related to each other, just as I suspected.

http://www.autscape.org/

Shemesh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Dec 2010, 7:20 am

My 3 and a half year old son does experience echolalia - sometimes single words, sometimes phrases. He also mimicks accents. He tends to mimick the accent of whoever he's talking to. If I am talking to him in English he will speak to me in more of a British accent, whereas if someone speaks English to him in an American accent, he will also answer with an American accent. I sometimes can tell if he's been talking to someone with a different accent by the accent of his echolalia. A few days ago he came back from his preschool class repeating a sentence in Hebrew with a French accent. From my observations, it does seem that they are related.