Working and applying for jobs as disababled?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sc
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 11:03 pm

I am not sure if I should to that. Just initiating new things like this is difficult. I have a problem with verbal directions of any complexity and certain positions I cannot do. Such as a cashier, just all the interaction and steps, I am best with doing things around people yet not directly focusing on interaction consistently or away from people but the same things in a routine.

I'd feel degraded if I was to clean up trash in front of others. As a cashier it's just to much interaction. So I've got to figure out functions I can do and be happy with consistently. While offering optimal work for what I get paid. I don't like doing a bad job at anything.

I worked at a movie theater for a day. I picked up trash and was a cashier. I hated it, I would have rather just picked up trash and focused on that one task optimally to make sure there was no trash. I'm someone that would take the initiative to invent tasks for the pleasure of the eye of the customer / client. I am not a small talk person I think I can fake it, just it is not me. Learning one or a few people is ok, that I can likely keep up on.

If I initially disclose my disability and tell them I would need special instructions and there patients would they likely just not bother hiring me? This is much different then when I had a business and just did what I focused on doing without answering to someone else. The business was building and refurbishing computers, a fascination.

The tasks are much different then those that I did on my own in business for that time I had it. That is really my only work history aside from numerous failed attempts.

I want to become more integrated and productive. Yet I don't think I could just mix in such as others do without a unique instruction and understanding. Still I am embarrassed of myself to say anything, so it seems I am stuck.

Ideas of places to work at:

Working at a grocery store striating out products on the shelves for presentation. Or, perhaps working in the back of a store unpacking merchandise and collapsing boxes. Perhaps placing merchandize on shelves eventually learning the store.

Another type of store doing something similar not really focusing on tasks that require social interaction. I understand that people might ask me where something is.

Should I apply for jobs with an attached letter saying my disability and requirement of special instruction as well as patients?

I might be able to get an organization to help with this. I am not sure.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 7:53 am

SC,

The ADA law in the US supposedly says that the employers is suppose to offer employment to and individual who is qualified and can do the job with no or reasonable accomidations with disregard to any disability. This is the utopian world.

In the real world, employers see those with disabilities as potential problems and steer away from them if possible. Usually, they can get away with the statement that they found someone who was better qualified (since you cannot see who applied, that statement cannot be proven true or false).

To be honest, the decision to tell a prospective employer is up to you. There are a few places that I could have worked in different departments but they insisted on cashier and so I turned my back on them, without ever telling them anything. Then, there are places that will hire anyone that has a pulse because they cannot raise wages or benefits and as such, cannot get people to work for them.

Sorry to sound so pessemistic but I am just telling what I have seen.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 10:43 am

Well either I jump into it (just do it) or not.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 10:45 am

Well either I jump into it (just do it) or not. I should just determin to put myself in any situation and just try.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 1:25 pm

I wouldn't hire you, to be honest...

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 1:45 pm

Discrimination I suppose is natural, unless you were to improve upon that.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 2:41 pm

I wouldn't rule out hiring a person with disabilities, I just would never hire you in particular.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 2:50 pm

Do to disability?

Did I not say that I would invent tasks to do for the plesure of the eye of the consumer? As to take pride in the job, seldom do I socialize or take breaks. I make a job the interests of doing it perfectly.

I'd say I am better then the average worker if doing something that is compatible. You would not hire me personally becuase you have some sort of bias against me.

Likely to stir trouble or just make me feel bad.

Keep people like me away from employment, don't hire people like me and keep the opression clear as the light in day.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:15 pm

sc wrote:
Do to disability?

Did I not say that I would invent tasks to do for the plesure of the eye of the consumer? As to take pride in the job, seldom do I socialize or take breaks. I make a job the interests of doing it perfectly.

I'd say I am better then the average worker if doing something that is compatible. You would not hire me personally becuase you have some sort of bias against me.

Likely to stir trouble or just make me feel bad.

Keep people like me away from employment, don't hire people like me and keep the opression clear as the light in day.

I would suggest you find out which businesses in your area provide jobs for the mentally handicapped, like pop bottle exchanges etc. and see if they are willing to hire you, that's the best advice I can give. I would not hire you personally because I don't you'd be right to work for my company, it's nothing personal.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:19 pm

Listen a***hole, you know your making it personal so stop being a beotch.

Prick

Do you have A.S or a form of autism or do you just put down others to feel good, fricken jack asss.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:23 pm

sc wrote:
Listen a***hole, you know your making it personal so stop being a beotch.

Prick

Do you have A.S or a form of autism or do you just put down others to feel good, fricken jack asss.

This is why noone will want to hire you...

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:25 pm

Oh I could easily manage a store. You could only manage a bag of recyled cans.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:26 pm

sc wrote:
Oh I could easily manage a store. You could only manage a bag of recyled cans.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:26 pm

You dont know me you coward. You sit behind your PC and put me down like you do. Then say you wont hire me becuase a boss like you cant get away with that kind of verbal abuse and discrimination. Do you want a disabled person that would not stand up against such statements?

I'd get you fired like that..

Space
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:27 pm

sc wrote:
You dont know me you coward. You sit behind your PC and put me down like you do. Then say you wont hire me becuase a boss like you cant get away with that kind of verbal abuse and discrimination. Do you want a disabled person that would not stand up against such statements?

I'd get you fired like that..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (is anyone else reading this guys posts?)

sc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 3:29 pm

They would only see what your doing as being a smart ass putting me down. Or else are the same and just mean people.