Unemployment rate in the US has rose to 9.8 percent in Nov.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Dec 2010, 3:12 am

However that figure does not include those who ran out of unemployment. Some say the actual rate of joblessnes is around 15 percent.
If you look at the pattern of the great depression which had many short rises and deeper falls, the pattern is eerily similar to what the economy has been doing. I have read on some sites that the housing market may never recover or wont recover in a very long time.

Anyway here is the article about the unemployment status
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11913196

Btw...this will be a good time to learn to grow food and learn basic homesteading skills. As much as the media tries to be our cheerleader that things are getting better, the statistics show otherwise.
There are some good book
:The Good life" by Helen Nearing
"Continuing the Good Life" by her also

They are about two anthropolisgists' experiment during the great depression of how to live a healthy life outside of a money economy. She and her husband map out how to to do this sucessfully in good detail through their experience and trial and error.

also you need to invest in silver, cuz it is going to go up in value like gold did, not as high but is worth the investment cause as the economy plummets the prescious metals will continue to rise in value.

I care about you all, and I know how alot of us aspies have a hard time with employment, so here is a backup plan.

Jojo

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 11:54 am

jojobean wrote:
However that figure does not include those who ran out of unemployment. Some say the actual rate of joblessnes is around 15 percent.
If you look at the pattern of the great depression which had many short rises and deeper falls, the pattern is eerily similar to what the economy has been doing. I have read on some sites that the housing market may never recover or wont recover in a very long time.

Anyway here is the article about the unemployment status
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11913196

Btw...this will be a good time to learn to grow food and learn basic homesteading skills. As much as the media tries to be our cheerleader that things are getting better, the statistics show otherwise.
There are some good book
:The Good life" by Helen Nearing
"Continuing the Good Life" by her also

They are about two anthropolisgists' experiment during the great depression of how to live a healthy life outside of a money economy. She and her husband map out how to to do this sucessfully in good detail through their experience and trial and error.

also you need to invest in silver, cuz it is going to go up in value like gold did, not as high but is worth the investment cause as the economy plummets the prescious metals will continue to rise in value.

I care about you all, and I know how alot of us aspies have a hard time with employment, so here is a backup plan.

Jojo

Jojo

I think you're right. Honestly, I believe the system is falling apart. JoJo and everyone, are you all sick and tired of being made to function in a way that you cannot and you were never built for. If so, then let's get the hell out of society alltogether. Are you all sick of the hanky stomping and meely mouthed BS that exists today. IF so, let's give the exodus project a try. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt141878.html Let's homestead like Jojo suggests. There those who say we're owed nothing and we're selfish people. I say let's accept their statement that we're owed nothing by anyone and let's get the hell out of dodge. Let's form our own communities. Aren't you all sick and tired of some of the BS that occurs today.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:00 pm

you will see self-contained communities of like-minded sorts popping up all over the place over the next few years. the ol' strength-in-numbers sort of deal.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
you will see self-contained communities of like-minded sorts popping up all over the place over the next few years. the ol' strength-in-numbers sort of deal.

There's a couple of problems of why this is happening in the United States, not withstanding others:

1) The political party situation in the United States is a duopoly. There needs to more grassroots parties and those that are not xenophobic.
2) The United States has gotten to the point where it's failure could be catastrophic (and I try to call myself a patriotic American).
3) Lawyers are the main source of politicians in the nation, and thus instead of getting business done, they try to find nothing but loopholes. Loopholes cause problems left and right. This is why I support Mike Bloomberg for president: he's more businessman than politician.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I don't know if "strength" is quite the right word...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:08 pm

number5 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't know if "strength" is quite the right word...

i was referring to formerly middle-class enclaves who have had to return to the earth and organic ways of doing things, IOW people who still have their own land. but as indicated in the photo you supplied, the number of favelas will skyrocket and there will be too many for the police [their hands tied by funding cuts] to do anything about. there will be killing gangs of right wing goons to take care of them, however, similar to the present situation in some latin american countries.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:34 am

The main reason is that so many jobs are being outsourced to other countries.

I cannot understand why the government or Obama administration did not put the stimulus money in getting the jobs back from overseas.

There needs to be a law quickly that fines corporations and companies $65,000+ for every job they have overseas. I garuantee the jobs will fly back here.

If the corporations complain that they do not have the money or resources to relocate jobs into the United States, then use the stimulus money to hire people to help them do just that.

Not only did you just create more jobs but you are also bringing more of them back.

How about tax breaks and funding stimulus money into corporations that have not layed off people yet? How about tax breaks for corporations that hire people in the country? If they had tax breaks, they could probably afford to pay people $15+ an hour.

Anyone?

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

07 Dec 2010, 8:14 am

techn0teen wrote:
The main reason is that so many jobs are being outsourced to other countries.

I cannot understand why the government or Obama administration did not put the stimulus money in getting the jobs back from overseas.

There needs to be a law quickly that fines corporations and companies $65,000+ for every job they have overseas. I garuantee the jobs will fly back here.

If the corporations complain that they do not have the money or resources to relocate jobs into the United States, then use the stimulus money to hire people to help them do just that.

Not only did you just create more jobs but you are also bringing more of them back.

How about tax breaks and funding stimulus money into corporations that have not layed off people yet? How about tax breaks for corporations that hire people in the country? If they had tax breaks, they could probably afford to pay people $15+ an hour.

Anyone?

You have a point! If they would tax...serously tax american companies that shipped their jobs overseas...we could put a big dent in the deficit or else solve the no american job thing.
But in all honesty, they wont do that if you paid the to...cause the coorperates and the the politians are pretty much having a big orgy on the backs of the working class.

If you study the fall of ancient greece and ancient rome which are the two historical examples of somewhat democracy (at least until the romans became an empire) what our political system is modeled after.
Case 1 (short verson) Greece got cocky after winning a few nessesary wars that they went out and created an unnesesary war and was totally creamed
relation to today: Although the hunt for osama bin ladin in nessiary...the whole thing in Iraq was just pointless and exaustive on the troops and the economy. I dont understand enough about the afgan war to be able to comment. Although I do know that if they really wanted to kill bin ladin, that would have been done by now. As the man is on dialysis and he cant hide in a cave very long when he needs that level of medical care on a regular basis. But anyway back to my point...there is a paralell
then in Rome:
There was major tension bwtween the upper class and the lower class and then there was people whom the upper class thought were waste of flesh...the barbarians.
Well they kept underestmating and crapping on the barbarians until they destroyed all of rome an inch at a time. Then after they conqured rome...they destroyed all books and anything written as well as much art and architecture. which after a few generations plunged europe into the dark ages which of course the church rose and ruled superstitious people with an iron fist... and the rest is history which I am sure most of you know how it went down but for my point I had to recite the history therof.
Well in the american paralell,
There is a class war going on as the wealthy have decided that the world is to overpopulated and the population needs to be culled. So they are trying to covertly eleminate the underclass with the exeption of those with usable skills.
So how this is going to shake out...I dunno, but I can tell you this...according to my father who had a government security clearance (a government inteligence contract) there is a bomb that is being made that can eleminate electricity in a region for over a thousand years and it is very small and can fit in a purse. All I am saying is when the next underclass uprising takes place, it will not be books that will end us back into the dark ages...but electronic technology.

As far as the tent picture, that is not homesteading...that is a refugee camp.
Homesteading is where you buy or rent a small farm or 7 or more acres of land, build a house on it...grow and hunt your own food, know how to preserve food for the winter, make your own basic supplies if you can. and get most of what you need through barter or trade, and limit your money going out as much as possible, while saving as much money coming in. I have lived and worked on such an intentional community for several winters and it is very do-able if you are willing to give up some creature comforts. I have learned the basics of building a cordwood house which is a very old technique that does not take much skill but alot of time. Some of these houses built 200 years ago are still standing, so its not something that is just thrown together.
Homesteading is an alternative lifestyle, but is the best way to go to survive the times which we are entering.
As far as homesteading being a way out of the job rat race...it is in a way, but you will work much harder on a homestead than you will in most jobs, but you dont have to answer to anyone but yourself. However it takes alot of personal disipline and dedication. If you forget to water the plants to often, and you have not made irrigation system out of bamboo or something...you will lose your crops, Then you will either 1) starve or 2) dip into savings if have any to buy groceries.
So it takes alot of displine, but with a community verses a indivdual farm...everyone shares responcibilites so the chance of failure is reduced.

However, with intentional communities, there can be alot of drama if that is allowed to fester, many of these groups have ways of preventing that from happening. Mostly, things are taken care of by group meetings. Most of these groups have a majority vote thing or some I have seen has to have 100 percent vote on certain issues.
Some can be really good and enriching, others can be rather cultish so discernment is a must when picking one.

I think an all ASD homesteading intentional community would be a worth trying. That is if our collective executive functioning problems would not pose a threat to survival.
See when you are providing for yourself outside of consumerism and the job rat race, survival is dependant on personal disipline.

But I do think homesteading is the only way to survive what is comming, because as long as we are dependant on society meaning jobs, consumerism, services like coorperate electric, city water, cost of housing, cost of groceries, disability income, and other factors we pay for which we could eleiminate by being as self-sustainable as possible...as long as we are dependant of these things that our society provides, then we are at the mercy of it when it fails...which it will sooner or later.

However, if we are self- sustainable as possible and eliminate ourselves from the rat race...we can survive even when the whole country falls apart as the Nearings did during the Great Depression.

More books I would suggest if you are serious about homesteading

The complete guide to cordwood construction
Mortgage Free
both of these are by Rob Roy

The cordwood book he explains how to build a cordwood house and other structures...he also teaches classes.
The mortgage book he gives you a plan to owning your own land in less than 10 years in a way that is affordable and beats the mortgage system’s games to keep you in debt.

Anyway,
I know that this is the only way to survive this because in the last depression, the only ones that were least affected where those who were most self-sufficent.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:57 pm

In the USA they're just two percentage points or so above the unemployment rate target policymakers have - the NAIRU. So they're generally pleased with the way things are going. Profits have hit record levels. The people that count are doing well.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 12:56 am

xenon13 wrote:
In the USA they're just two percentage points or so above the unemployment rate target policymakers have - the NAIRU. So they're generally pleased with the way things are going. Profits have hit record levels. The people that count are doing well.

But the picture I have seen and witnessed is jobs are really scarce and people are still getting laid off in herds, probably like the 1980's where the "people that count" were making a killing, while the people who appartently dont, are getting laid off like crazy while jobs were taken up by machines or shipped over seas. I have traveled the country and I have seen that there is not much industry left, mostly just service jobs which most pay below a living wage. Profits hit high levels in the 80's because employers severely reduced their staff and made the rest work that much harder.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 7:48 pm

So much for the Obama/Democrat approach.

ruveyn

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 1:43 pm

jojobean wrote:
xenon13 wrote:

But the picture I have seen and witnessed is jobs are really scarce and people are still getting laid off in herds, probably like the 1980's where the "people that count" were making a killing, while the people who appartently dont, are getting laid off like crazy while jobs were taken up by machines or shipped over seas. I have traveled the country and I have seen that there is not much industry left, mostly just service jobs which most pay below a living wage. Profits hit high levels in the 80's because employers severely reduced their staff and made the rest work that much harder.

That's exactly what the people running things want. They can't be more delighted. The conclusion to draw? The regime is illegitimate, the rulers are the enemy who profits off the misfortune of the vast majority of people.