Autism is not something to be cured! AGREE? OR DISAGREE?

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is Autism something to be cured?
Yes, cure autism, destroy our aspie + others culture, and make us all like them 20%  20%  [ 13 ]
No, we should value ourselves as we are, and get treatment instead of a cure 80%  80%  [ 51 ]
Total votes : 64

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

nthach wrote:
I voted yes. Asperger's has been nothing but a BANE on my existence. And so many people with autism can't work or contribute to society and they end up collecting SSI/SSDI, draining state social services, and taxing the already taxed public school system. We already have welfare queens collecting welfare checks and stuffing their mouths with junk food they bought on food stamps while they're parked in front of the TV watching Maury or Jerry Springer.

I just feel an ASD dehumanizes people, making people merely a living, breathing, fleshy computer.

Based on how complex curing autism would really be....I imagine I'd still need the SSI if I where cured, and probably would drain even more money because I'd likely be even more disabled a vegetable cannot care for their basic needs and that seems to be one of the dangers....I imagine poking around in someones brain trying to rewire the neurology to neurotypical or trying to alter/undo whatever genetic factors caused the autism run the risk of making the recipient of the treatment an immobile vegetable....at least if I don't screw with my neurology I have the chance of becoming more functional/learning ways to cope so I can eventually hold a job and support myself.

Also back here in reality, these 'welfare queens' are a minority among people on welfare....and a lot of them aren't even using disability money for them....a lot of them have a disabled kid or two collecting benefits, and spend the money that is supposed to be for those children on junk food and stuff for their entertainment, so half the time its not even the person actually collecting benefits using the money that way. Also if we want to talk about tax money being drained, there are plenty more wasteful things its spent on than welfare which actually helps the infrastructure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 3:45 pm

ci wrote:

Treatment does not mean saying goodbye..

Cure simply means treatment and people just wanted to help. Yes autism can be treated if when what is called symptomatology or differences manifest in ways that are able to receive treatments that can but as for intently focusing on something for a long-time I wouldn't want to cure that, thats fun. It's just a word and the polls questions seem to be the same difference. As for culture I am not even sure what that is. I don't see how receiving treatments (cures) would get rid of a culture. That would be like telling old folks they can't talk together in a group home in which many with autism reside.

Also in pathology many things are considered diseases. In some kind of analytics even marketing is a disease like viral marketing. To me it's not that big of a deal and so much social energy is spent on it that well to me its a horrid waste of time. I just don't get upset over these trivial things and don't understand why others do.

Nathan Young

But that is not what the word 'cure' means to cure something is to get rid of it, thus curing autism would be getting rid of autism thus leaving one neurotypical or even more screwed up due to risks of whatever invasive treatment is used. I have no opposition to treatment and help for the difficulties we face...or wanting to improve functioning. If people mean they want treatment and help they should say that....a cure and treatment/help are not the same thing in this context so people should stop calling the latter 'a cure' when they really mean 'treatment' but not being rid of the autism entirely.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

jamieboy wrote:
I'm in favour of a cure. NT'S have a higher quality of life and are happier. I think a basic sense of fulfillment and human happiness are the most you can ask for. I am unable to achieve this as an isloated, extremely anxious and depressed aspie.

I also think the "but you wouldnt be you maaan" lines of argument dont really stand up to scrunity. i would be a better and happier me.

You do realize this does not apply to all NT's right? and they can have depression and extreme anxiety to....there are isolated, extremely anxious and depressed neurotypicals....why do you think being cured of Autism would rid you of those things? You might just end up an extremely anxious, depressed, isolated neurotypical with the added challenge of learning how to operate your new neurotypical brain.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
why do you think being cured of Autism would rid you of those things? You might just end up an extremely anxious, depressed, isolated neurotypical with the added challenge of learning how to operate your new neurotypical brain.

^ This.

Also, how would this "cure" impact those things that I am good at -- e.g. detailed-oriented thinking, systems design, etc. I can just imagine, being "cured", and the next day showing up to work and not being able to do anything, but what -- socialize?

As you said, then I would be anxious, depressed, isolated and useless.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 5:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Clicked the link and either the page is gone or the link is broken...

That said I don't think it is something to be cured, it is possible to function better and still have autism...that and most cures I can fathom seem like quite dangerous and invasive treatments that likely wouldn't be worth it. I don't really feel like there is a specific autism spectrum culture though...I mean we all have differing interests and don't really have any sort of cultural thing in common, just simularities in how we function.

Sweetleaf, this thread is over 4 years old----and while I feel it is still a relevant topic, I thought you'd wanna know that the people you're responding to, are probably no longer here----and also, probably, why the link doesn't work.

In response to the topic: I think if there were ever a cure, that people should be able to CHOOSE what is the right "avenue", for THEM.

I wish people would stop bringing-up these old threads! If you see an old thread that you like, start a NEW one----cuz it makes people feel like idiots when they respond to people who haven't been around, for years----and besides, this topic has been gone-over a MILLION times.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 5:54 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Clicked the link and either the page is gone or the link is broken...

That said I don't think it is something to be cured, it is possible to function better and still have autism...that and most cures I can fathom seem like quite dangerous and invasive treatments that likely wouldn't be worth it. I don't really feel like there is a specific autism spectrum culture though...I mean we all have differing interests and don't really have any sort of cultural thing in common, just simularities in how we function.

Sweetleaf, this thread is over 4 years old----and while I feel it is still a relevant topic, I thought you'd wanna know that the people you're responding to, are probably no longer here----and also, probably, why the link doesn't work.

In response to the topic: I think if there were ever a cure, that people should be able to CHOOSE what is the right "avenue", for THEM.

I wish people would stop bringing-up these old threads! If you see an old thread that you like, start a NEW one----cuz it makes people feel like idiots when they respond to people who haven't been around, for years----and besides, this topic has been gone-over a MILLION times.

Grrr I wish someone would fix that, not sure how old threads keep ending up in the first pages of forums so they look like new topics...

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 6:02 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

These older threads appear under "Similar Topics". If you are upset about this (people bringing up old threads), I suggest you give feedback to Alex (who I assume has final say on all functional changes to WP). My guess is that this "feature" is intentional as it increases site activity (which, leads to more revenue, through advertising).