Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Is Prenatal Testing For Autism Akin to Germany in WWII and the Jewish?
Yes 51%  51%  [ 18 ]
No 49%  49%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 35

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 11:45 pm

a little apples and oranges considering history....
Until the state is telling you to abort Aspie babies you can't really compare that anyways
(also I don't think the Third Reich did any aborting, they just killed people... )

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2015, 12:19 am

You don't see many threads which start off with Godwin's Law :)
More seriously wouldn't such tests be of more use to adults who encounter medical "professionals" reluctant to diagnose them?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:34 am

ci wrote:

I really like WWII history since very young. My favorite person in WWII is General Patton. His brute honesty and motivational style is how I like to advocate. As a result of my disabilities despite growing up in a military family they told me since young I cannot join the military. I think this is wrong and makes me feel as if I am useless.

I flunked my physical when I tried to join because of a heart defect.

It turned out quite well. Without the military physical I would not have known about it and would have almost surely been dead by the time I was 25 or 26. If they had found the the problem a couple of years later than they did, it would probably have been considered to be inoperable as a result of waiting too long.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 12:36 am

Avengilante wrote:
There were a lot of military men in my family, too, but when I was growing up the US was still drafting young men to send to Vietnam and I was terrified of turning 18. I would never have survived in a military environment, much less actual war. The pressure would have been overwhelming.

But I, too feel useless pretty much all the time.

I was ready to go.

The funny thing is that some people I knew who were doing their best to avoid being drafted during Viet Nam eventually did join the military and stayed there until retirement.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 6:08 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
I don't think Alex cares about bringing back old threads unless it's done with a post that's totally irrelevant to the thread.

Because of the addition of the similar topics feature it seems to me he is actively encouraging it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 19 Jan 2015, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 6:19 am

Overall I think Nazi comparisons trivialize both what the Nazis did and how bad the people are that are being compared to the Nazis are.

With prenatal testing or genetic testing or cures the most you can say is that in the absolutely worst cast scenario it might resemble the Holocaust. And that is scary enough.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 19 Jan 2015, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 6:22 am

What's going on? Thought that I saw this thread locked earlier and now it's unlocked.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2015, 4:32 pm

Ok read the tempil grandin quote at the bottom of my post, now back to here, first off, I feel abortion is wrong, second, parents who want to abort their child because of AS are SICK. If the testing is done so that parents can be prepared for the type of child they might have, thats fine, but not for the purposes of aborting it. Also let me just say that when I was little my parents had my DNA tested for aspergers but i turned up negative, 10 years later I'm diagnosed Those tests aren't 100% accurate.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2015, 11:32 pm

ci wrote:
Avengilante wrote:
There were a lot of military men in my family, too, but when I was growing up the US was still drafting young men to send to Vietnam and I was terrified of turning 18. I would never have survived in a military environment, much less actual war. The pressure would have been overwhelming.

But I, too feel useless pretty much all the time. More so every day. I kind of wish I would die in my sleep.

In response my congressman wrote a letter in reply. I asked that the SSI/SSDI used to help me would allow me to have a job for the federal government. I think I have more purpose then nothing better then sitting around. I have allot of mental strength and certain kinds of smarts.

http://www.compassionateintegrations.or ... mpson.html

That way if I work using the SSI/SSDI money to give to them the government will allow me to save my money and invest it as I see fit. To many human rights are removed. It is not fair.

Nathan Young

Working for the Federal Government or being in the military are not human rights, nor is saving or investing your own money instead of using it for survival and still having your survival needs met.

As for the Hitler thing all I can say to that is just Dude. Really? Come on now. Dude.

Dude.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2015, 9:36 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
ci wrote:
Avengilante wrote:

But I, too feel useless pretty much all the time. More so every day. I kind of wish I would die in my sleep.

In response my congressman wrote a letter in reply. I asked that the SSI/SSDI used to help me would allow me to have a job for the federal government. I think I have more purpose then nothing better then sitting around. I have allot of mental strength and certain kinds of smarts.

http://www.compassionateintegrations.or ... mpson.html

That way if I work using the SSI/SSDI money to give to them the government will allow me to save my money and invest it as I see fit. To many human rights are removed. It is not fair.

Nathan Young

Working for the Federal Government or being in the military are not human rights, nor is saving or investing your own money instead of using it for survival and still having your survival needs met.

As for the Hitler thing all I can say to that is just Dude. Really? Come on now. Dude.

Dude.

Just a note of clarification, CI aka Nathan Young, hasn't posted here in over three years.

And if you read the full thread you may be able to see that CI Intended the TITLE in a satirical way as He did NOT AGREE with the sentiment, then, of folks who DID REFER TO A CONSPIRACY THEORY OF AUTISM Speaks doing Eugenics with Autistic Folks, through prenatal testing.

He did NOT LIKE AUTISM ADVOCACY the way it is described in this particular forum, or most any other online autism community, as he was severely disabled and institutionalized as well.

His perspective was much different than most folks who post online with a reference to a label named Autism.

And, as is the case for many folks who have the REAL CASE STUDIED type of Hans Asperger described Asperger's Syndrome better reflected in the Gillberg criteria, as compared to U.S. DSMIV criteria that basically just took a few of the 'Autism Heavy' characteristics out of that previous diagnosis to make it 'Autism Lite', AND then added in a language delay exclusion to exclude folks from the Asperger's diagnosis that IS allowed in the Gillberg Criteria AND IS reflected in Hans Asperger's case studies, YES, some folks who REALLY HAVE THE Hans Asperger's case studied TYPE OF ASPERGER'S SYNDROME are relative genius with metaphors, and that was what set CI apart from other folks here, generally speaking, who were black and white literal thinkers.

The human rights thingy is a metaphor, and not a legal term, by the way.

CI could explain that but he no longer posts here.

I was perhaps the only one who understood him,

FOR GOOD REASON or metaphor, give or take a 'few' words. ;)

And I still keep in contact with CI from time to time and he is very successful in his entrepreneurial effort at this time.

He has a different mind, yes, but it DEFINITELY WORKS TO GET THE JOB DONE, AS HIS SUCCESS PROVES, NOW. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2015, 11:05 pm

First off, the OP needs to change the title of the thread. It's clearly upsetting and honestly pretty inaccurate. As other have pointed out, we're not being rounded up to extermination camps or ghettos.

Nonetheless, the idea of prenatal testing for autism even being conceived is very, very scary. The general public mostly views autism as a disease, defect, or "the greatest tragedy of the 21st century". People are often looking for causation which is ridiculous. Autism is not the greatest tragedy, but rather the greatest boogeyman of the 21st century. But I'd imagine prenatal testing would be game over. That would certainly seal the door shut and ensure that autism is something that has been "defeated". It's a very scary thought to think about.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 12:25 am

The idea of potentially prenatal testing for autism is wrong. Comparing it to the holocaust is a good way to undermine your credibility, though. If something is bad, you should be able argue against it on its own merits and not need to resort to nazi analogies.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2015, 12:45 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
The idea of potentially prenatal testing for autism is wrong. Comparing it to the holocaust is a good way to undermine your credibility, though. If something is bad, you should be able argue against it on its own merits and not need to resort to nazi analogies.

Pretty much couldn't say it better. You're also implying the opposition are equivalent to Nazis. That's always a good way to piss people off.