Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pinnoy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2006, 5:08 am

As a child, I watch cartoons 'in my mind' anytime I please, with my very own heroes and villains, and they play out in my mind. No toys.

As a teen, I could have sworn that I can spend the whole day just thinking. Thinking about what? Almost anything that has to do with morality, religion, philosophy etc. Those were my interests as a teen.

I can play chess with up to 3 people at the same time, blindfolded.

I reached a crossroads, almost a turning point when I was 21-22. I realized how "idealistic" I was, and that I was lacking pragmatism. And so after, with tears and a heavy heart, I "put away" most of the Idealistic things I revered in during my teens, and drunk all the pragmatism I could learn.

Now, at 26, I am what I would say a mix of two idealogies, the Idealistic and the Pragmatic. I learn that I could switch off the other and activate the other pretty much as I please.

ethamin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jun 2006, 5:56 am

pinnoy wrote:
As a child, I watch cartoons 'in my mind' anytime I please, with my very own heroes and villains, and they play out in my mind.

I did to! :o I thought I was the only one, how wonderful! :wink:
With me it was/is like a movie that I could create and edit, my one story. I constantly produced such a film in my head. I could even project it on an empty wall. People always got scared because it looked as if I were in a trance-like situation and they could not wake me. Which is not true, I was just enjoying myself with this film in my head.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 10:25 am

pinnoy wrote:
As a teen, I could have sworn that I can spend the whole day just thinking. Thinking about what? Almost anything that has to do with morality, religion, philosophy etc. Those were my interests as a teen.

Heh, I spend all day thinking. Increasingly it's about morality, religion etc, but tons of other stuff too. Stuff that's meaningful to me. :)

I find it's a nuisance though when i have to go to bed or have to go out somewhere. I'm obsessive when showering anyway, but then add to that all of the contemplating - it takes forever. Grr.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:40 pm

ethamin wrote:
pinnoy wrote:
As a child, I watch cartoons 'in my mind' anytime I please, with my very own heroes and villains, and they play out in my mind.

With me it was/is like a movie that I could create and edit, my one story. I constantly produced such a film in my head. I could even project it on an empty wall. People always got scared because it looked as if I were in a trance-like situation and they could not wake me. Which is not true, I was just enjoying myself with this film in my head.

me three! I don't do it much anymore, but when I was a child, I did feel like I had a TV in my head. it was fun. :)

InfidelMatt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2006, 12:00 am

pineapple wrote:
ethamin wrote:
pinnoy wrote:

me three! I don't do it much anymore, but when I was a child, I did feel like I had a TV in my head. it was fun. :)

Oh my god! I have to say 'Me four!". When I was a kid growing up, I made up my own cartoon, characters, and story lines in my head and I would day dream constantly as if I was a character or perhaps the director of the show! I also did a lot of pantomime (did I spell that right?) when I was a child. My own imagination was so much more lively, interesting, and better than anything I did with other kids (probably because I enjoyed making up my own rules and my own world acted according to how I thought it should best be!)

Matthew

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 9:37 am

InfidelMatt wrote:
pineapple wrote:
ethamin wrote:
pinnoy wrote:

Oh my god! I have to say 'Me four!". When I was a kid growing up, I made up my own cartoon, characters, and story lines in my head and I would day dream constantly as if I was a character or perhaps the director of the show! I also did a lot of pantomime (did I spell that right?) when I was a child. My own imagination was so much more lively, interesting, and better than anything I did with other kids (probably because I enjoyed making up my own rules and my own world acted according to how I thought it should best be!)

Matthew

five :D . i still do this when i get bored. my cartoon were (and stll are) better then anything on TV.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 3:44 am

I think this is people come up with these things to begin with :P

Yagaloth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2006, 11:32 pm

OK, count me in, too. I won't even begin to describe any of it, I would just be too embarrassed about it (I got a lot of abuse over it as a kid and in time learned not to say a word about it to anyone else.) But, yes, I had my own fantasy-world that I would zone out into with my own characters and plots.

My parents still bring it up every now and then to tease me over it, and my father admitted that it really had him worried that I'd lost my mind and he'd have to take me to a psychiatrist or something. When I stopped talking about it, they both assumed that I'd out-grown it and, relieved, decided I didn't need to see a shrink after all.

In High School, my Spanish teacher brought a video camera to class (a novelty at the time), to tape each of us speaking in Spanish so she could replay it and we could hear for ourselves where we went wrong in pronunciation and so on. I remember watching the video of the class, and I watched everyone just doing their thing, talking to each other, laughing, passing notes, and all the other "normal" stuff. And then I saw me, and I felt ice-cold and thought "my God, that can't be me... that can't be what everyone else is seeing! MOVE, damn it!" I was sitting perfectly still, slouched over slightly in the chair, staring into a corner of the room with a blank expression on my face, and I didn't move or barely even blink through the entire 45 minutes or so of video. Everything else in the class was in constant motion, but then there was me sitting there as still as a corpse, in a corner, with everyone else's desk pulled away, as far as possible from me. I was off "watching a movie" of my own through all that, "off in my own little world", as my teachers always called it in the report cards. I kept wishing, hoping, and praying that I'd move and everything would be all right, but I never did... it came around to my turn and "snapped out of it" for a second to read something that could barely be heard on the tape in monotone (my voice was thinner and higher and quieter than I expected, too...), but as soon as I finished I was out again like someone had flipped the switch back off. That scared me enough that I spent the next, and last, disastrous year of school trying NOT to be that zombie, and I remember that year more fondly than most, so I guess at least I imagined I was doing something right.

pinnoy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2006, 9:52 am

Could all this prove a lively and creative imaginative mind? :) . Alexander Alekhine, former world chess champion, was in a classroom as a schoolboy. His math teacher showed a math problem on the blackboard and asked the students for the answer. The silence was broken by Alexander when he raised his hand, as if panting to blurt out the answer. Alekhine then said, to the class' laughter and surprise, "You sacrifice the Knight on the f6 square, White wins!"

Alexander had spontaneous imagination, which he translated into the chessboard, to everyone's benefit and enjoyment.

As an adult, Alekhine gained fame for his daring, out-of-this-world chess moves which dazzled everyone who saw them.

Perhaps this 'creativity' of the Aspies needs only to be channeled into the right paths?

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 10:37 am

When I was growing up, I had a continuing story in my imagination I dubbed "The Raze Forever"

It was basically an enormous intergalactic race, with literally millions of competitors. A single race could span years, and I always revisited it.

The race had its own icons, villains, rivals, allies, and over time I built up a complex universe filled with various phenomena and mentally designed all of the ports and planets visited along the way.

As I grew older, so did the protagonist. When I last visited the universe he had become an old man, mere steps away from retirement. His career had become The Raze, and he had barely made it into the 25th percentile in his best run. His chief rival, the pilot of the 2200 vessal (a legend in his own right due to tactical combat ability, and a multiple-time winner of The Raze), had long retired. Without that competitor, he felt empty.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 2:14 pm

I've always had Xanthron. I look back and realize how much it has evloved: from stupid childhood fantasy, into something better, and much more meaningful. Not to mention that I know the best place in Andromeda to do anything from get a really go meal, to see the coolest sights in the universe.

The idealist pragmatist thing is funny, because I always think of how realist my ideas are, and then I have a couple of idealist ideas, and make a fool of myself.
"Idealism is a nice styrofoam raft to float on until you meet the jagged cliffs of reality"