Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2006, 3:52 pm

Nothing in particular. Just re-watching topic.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 12:25 am

Doing an accent is a real talent. You need a very good ear. If you can do it when people are not around, I mean trade in your own accent for an American accent or something you can make a lot of money as a voice actress if you go after it. It's a talent. Don't worry about it!
Btdt

krex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 6:55 am

I dont talk to many people but do have family in more southern clines who I tend to slip into mimicing...I think I do it more when I have been reading an auther from a different time period...Ye old english ...or recntly "god Knows" by Heller whose main protaginist is king David, from the bible...reading tends to rewire my language and can get me some strange looks when I slip into :the ."..."varily I say unto you"s..(.blank look from other...)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Conway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2006, 5:39 pm

I wish I could mimic accents, and I've tried many mines to my embarrassment, but I never can. I don't know what accent I have, but it doesn't sound typically British (although that's where I've lived all my life). I've also been told I have a very monotone voice, and struggle with any sort of inflection. I also find it difficult to change my voice to adapt to the setting, eg: I find it hard to raise my voice in a crowded place. My voice doesn't seem to change to reflect my mood either. :(

And Yagaloth: Strange! :wink:

parts
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 6:13 pm

I don't know about the aspieness of it but I do it all the time but so does my NT wife. When I'm with a Jamacian friend of mine I talk just like him it's kinda weird

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2006, 6:27 pm

I hardly ever imitate anyone's accent. I'm no good at it. I do repeat other people's sayings a lot, and then I'll replicate the tone of voice, but not so much the accent. It's always other people who mimic my accent. I had a hard time growing up because of it. I still sound somewhat like my voice hasn't broken, I come from central Scotland but people always assume from the accent I'm from Aberdeen, and otherwise my voice was considered very unusual. I am still getting it at church from one girl, who is blind and therefore compensates for that by being absolutely perfect at replicating accents. She repeatedly mimics people's accents, though it's only ever two people she mimics, me, and one other guy whose accent is distinctive because he hails from Belfast.

EaglesRNo1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2006, 8:34 pm

The first time I ever unintentionally did something like that was actually today. When I was younger and less sensitive about others, I would intentionally imitate the Boston accent of one of my cub scout den leaders. The other guys in my den actually did it too. It was almost time for the annual Pinewood Derby, a model car race competition. So whenever our den leader said "pinewood derby cahs," we all laughed. After that, he would have his wife say "car" for him :D . I've also always thought the Canadian aboot was funny, but I never insulted any Canadians. So today at work, I was thinking about random things as usual as I went about keeping the McDnald's clean. At one point I started thinking about that episode of South Park where they repeatedly made fun of the African American pronunciation of "three fifty" (tree fitty). A minute after I started thinking about that, 12:55, an African American kid asked me what time it was, and I said "twelve fitty five." I don't think he thought anything of it, but I instantly realized what I had just accidentally said.

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2006, 12:05 pm

I used to do it all the time unconsciously, involuntarily, and incontrollably. Sometimes people would get offended because they thought I was making fun of them. But I found it useful as we moved around because it was easier to fit in. The Minnesota accent was the first one I ever had to try to mimic. But I did it quite well and really found it very pleasant. Now that I'm back in the South, and I hear what I used to sound like, I can't bring myself to change back. I think I still imitate a little, so when the hillbilly is mixed with the Minnesotan it comes out kind of neutral. But there are a few Minnesota-isms I'll always retain. The top of a house will always be a "ruff", the bottom of a tree will be "ruts", and if something costs too much I'll tell you to your face its "too spendy".

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2006, 1:21 pm

drummer_girl wrote:
im wondering whether A: this is a aspie thing B : of any one else here does it
I think it is an aspie thing, because I do it myself all the time - When I talk to English people in Israel, they ask me if I am English too. A few days ago, I spoke with soemone who recently immigrated to Israel and I mimicked her accent (a strange accent, which is not even her native country's).
On the other hand, when I speak with fellow Israelis, they sometimes say my accent sounds foreign and they ask where I am originally from. (I was born in this country and never lived elsewhere).

http://www.autscape.org/