Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2006, 6:17 am

this is something i do without realising it that i am doing it most of the time.
i did it yesterday and the person i was talking to noticed and asked where i was from, because id mimicked his accent.

im wondering whether A: this is a aspie thing B : of any one else here does it

ive done it all my life and it just seems something i cant control. english accents american accents anything,. i will mimic it back in the same manner as the person that just talked to me did!

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2006, 6:27 am

I don't know whether it's an aspie thing or not, but i do it. i was talking to a girl from manchester, and came out with the word "nurses" in a mancunian accenmt and she stared at me and then burst out lsaughuing. I'm lucky SHE took it Ok and weasn't offended-I've been accused of taking the p*** by others.

Another friend of mine, who is about to be tested, was talking to me about the New York subway system. When she talks about the USA she lapses into an american accent completely unconsciously. The guy accross from her asked what opart of the States she's from and she told him she's British, I don't know what he thought.

Julie

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2006, 6:34 am

Yeah, I unconsciously do it a bit.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 6:54 am

Yeah.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:28 am

I tend not to do it in front of people, but I take the piss out of accents all the time. It's good fun. :)

ThisLife
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2006, 7:03 pm

Yeah, I do this unconsciously too. It's really bad because everyone else will notice that I'm doing this before I do. Sometimes, even when I realize I’m doing this and that it must be noticeable to everyone else, I still have trouble stopping.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:11 pm

i do this all the time. i try not to but it never works. some people think i am making fun of them but i am not.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:47 pm

Its perfectly normal behaviour. When you communicate with others who have a differnt regional dialect/accent you do begin to compensate for it unconciously by starting to adopt their accent.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:53 pm

I do fake European accents a lot even though I've never been to Europe. Heh. It's just fun to do accents for some reason.

Hel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2006, 4:08 pm

Yep..it is a lot of fun although I did it on the phone at work once before I had a chance to stop myself and I think the lady on the other end thought I was taking the p£$s...

mcjagger
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jun 2006, 6:27 pm

i can always tell who my wife is on the phone with.
she uses a different tone or accent with different people, it must be an NT ability to blend into their surroundings.
the only one that i get angry about is the loving way she talks to her boyfriend

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2006, 7:21 pm

I used to work with a guy from Minnesota, he had an accent that was very close to Canadian(it sounded canadian to me). I picked up a lot of the accent in a short amount of time. He never noticed, but i noticed how much my accent changed while i was around him. I live in the south so an accent change like that is very noticable

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 7:29 pm

From a theoretical viewpoint, there is no Mystique to communication mirroring in terms of body posture and even zeir voice ...

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 9:31 pm

I try not to...but sometimes I end up doing it without meaning too...strange. 8O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 12:29 am

I have a very hard time mimicking other peoples' Accents. It's everybody else who ends up falling into my Speech Patterns to a certian extent. I know when I've been talking to my Strictly Canadian Mom, too much, when she starts to sound like me. I notice it with my friends and aquatiences, as well. I love to talk and I don't shut up. :P

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 2:40 pm

I don't because I can't. No matter how hard I try I can't put on any accents, and never have been able to. So to mimic them naturally ... not a chance!