Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 6:35 pm

Since many of us here agree that the bible is an antiquated and obsolete book, lets start a new religion!! Since Star Trek was basically just a bunch of morality plays, with archetypal myths, let's debate the moral value of it.* Why not, it could'nt be any more of a waste of time then pointing out the obsolete morality of thr bible!!
Personaly I'm a devotee of St.Kirk. He shows us the value of spreading your seemen across the galaxy and how to land the green alien babe.

*Legal disclaimer. I'm NOT a Trekkie, I've had a girlfriend and been laid in the past 2 months. I don't live at my parents house and have a collection of pokemon cards.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 6:48 pm

Well the Prime Directive would forbid anyone converting other cultures to Christianity. I never thought about that before, but that would be a directive to prevent colonization of other cultures.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 8:43 pm

Oh, no, Futurama's prophecy came true!

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 9:48 pm

Veresae wrote:

What is Futurama and how does that relate to Star Trek and religion?

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 12:13 am

anandamide wrote:
Veresae wrote:

What is Futurama and how does that relate to Star Trek and religion?

"Futurama" was an animated TV show from the creators of "The Simpsons." Took place in the future. I wasn't a huge fan, but I did see an episode where Fry (the main character, who was from our time period but got frozen and launched into the future) finds out that "Star Trek" transformed from a bunch of TV shows to a full-blown religion, and various religious wars that were spawned by this caused it to be totally outlawed.

I like some "Trek." "First Contact" is a great film. My parents are more into Trek than I am, though none of us are huge trekkies. I'm more of a "Harry Potter" geek, myself.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 2:03 am

I believe the New Trek to be more relevent then the Old Trek.

The Captain of the Old Trek was just some testosterone driven freak. It shows the ideas of the people at the time. You've got all these stupid violent aliens, there is no motivation there, we're just supposed to see them as "Bad". The so called morals are questionable at best, and ultimately just boils down to 'Oh hey, we're right.'

New Trek however is 'kinder and gentler' in terms of The Captain. It shows the power of the thinker. The calm one. The one who puts personal ego aside. New Trek shows a complicated universe in which people can hold a different opinion and yet they might not have one that is wrong. The brutes of Old Trek are recast into a new role. Now they are no longer thugs, but proud warriors. They are given a belief system. They have a reason for being as they are. No longer are they 'wrong' but 'distinct'.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 1:05 pm

Xuincherguixe wrote:

The Captain of the Old Trek was just some testosterone driven freak. It shows the ideas of the people at the time. You've got all these stupid violent aliens, there is no motivation there, we're just supposed to see them as "Bad". The so called morals are questionable at best, and ultimately just boils down to 'Oh hey, we're right.'

New Trek however is 'kinder and gentler' in terms of The Captain. It shows the power of the thinker. The calm one. The one who puts personal ego aside. New Trek shows a complicated universe in which people can hold a different opinion and yet they might not have one that is wrong. The brutes of Old Trek are recast into a new role. Now they are no longer thugs, but proud warriors. They are given a belief system. They have a reason for being as they are. No longer are they 'wrong' but 'distinct'.

BLASPHEMY FROM A FOLLOWER OF SQUIGGY!! ! You have entered our holy house to corrupt the word of "GOD". I CAST THEE OUT FROM OUR PLACE OF HOLY WORSHIP AND DAMN THEE TO THE "Trouble with the Tribbles" EPISODE!! !

This was my 420th post. COOL!!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 7:24 pm

Okay, considering this is gonna turn into a free-for-all, I'm gonna put my two-cents worth of insanity.

I AM HATRED AND RAGE EMBODIED! I AM ZEROMUS! I HATE ALL!! !

Especially bloody Trekkies....

Edited for colour/color.

On sabbatical...

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 2:48 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Okay, considering this is gonna turn into a free-for-all, I'm gonna put my two-cents worth of insanity.

I AM HATRED AND RAGE EMBODIED! I AM ZEROMUS! I HATE ALL!! !

Especially bloody Trekkies....

Edited for colour/color.

Ha! A charecter like that was in the first season of Next generation! PROVING that everything has it's source in Gene Roddenbery

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 8:33 am

Scrapheap wrote:
Ha! A charecter like that was in the first season of Next generation! PROVING that everything has it's source in Gene Roddenbery

Oh Gene, we all await your second coming.

And we will all feast on Roddenberries upon your return.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 10:54 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:

Blimey

Thats a rather nice way of comparing classic ST to TNG DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. I guess because when ST was around the cold war was very much in gear then and its just so obvious that the Klingons were mean't to be Russians back then The Romulans were the British/old world europe. But I guess its just a testament to what a good writer Gene Rodenberry was

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2006, 12:13 am

I'd just like to say that we should discount "Enterprise" from any religious schooling. Its sheer unwatchability makes it irrelevent to the rest of the teachings.

Picard is a bald Jesus.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 4:06 am

I think the religion of Star Trek, as it applies to Aspies, is the philosophy of Spock.

To bury emotion when it will hinder.

To live long and prosper.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 2:55 pm

Steve-Cory, you bring honor to the Old Testament philosophy. Roddenberry bless you!! !

Ryebot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2006, 3:18 pm

Xuincherguixe wrote:

True, but then most tv shows from the 60s, especially sci-fi, haven't stood the test of time too well. look at the skimpy little skirts the female crewmembers would wear in the classic series..

still, there were a lot of parallels to 20th century issues in the original. the klingon-federation rivalry was very much like the U.S.-Soviet Cold War. Also, as ridiculous as the original might seem, it did foresee the use of personal desktop computers, cell phones (their communicators looked like flip phones), and other technologies we take for granted now.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 8:27 pm

Ryebot wrote:
True, but then most tv shows from the 60s, especially sci-fi, haven't stood the test of time too well. look at the skimpy little skirts the female crewmembers would wear in the classic series..

still, there were a lot of parallels to 20th century issues in the original. the klingon-federation rivalry was very much like the U.S.-Soviet Cold War. Also, as ridiculous as the original might seem, it did foresee the use of personal desktop computers, cell phones (their communicators looked like flip phones), and other technologies we take for granted now.

Ryebot, your point that most 60's Sci-fi has'nt stood the test of time, simply illustrates the fact that Roddenberry was divinely inspired. May the Federation's blessings be bestowed upon you!!