Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 8:27 pm

Ryebot wrote:
True, but then most tv shows from the 60s, especially sci-fi, haven't stood the test of time too well. look at the skimpy little skirts the female crewmembers would wear in the classic series..

still, there were a lot of parallels to 20th century issues in the original. the klingon-federation rivalry was very much like the U.S.-Soviet Cold War. Also, as ridiculous as the original might seem, it did foresee the use of personal desktop computers, cell phones (their communicators looked like flip phones), and other technologies we take for granted now.

Ryebot, your point that most 60's Sci-fi has'nt stood the test of time, simply illustrates the fact that Roddenberry was divinely inspired. May the Federation's blessings be bestowed upon you!!

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 1:58 am

Scrapheap wrote:
Since many of us here agree that the bible is an antiquated and obsolete book, lets start a new religion!! Since Star Trek was basically just a bunch of morality plays, with archetypal myths, let's debate the moral value of it.* Why not, it could'nt be any more of a waste of time then pointing out the obsolete morality of thr bible!!
Is the Bible that antiquated or obsolete. Just look at the DS9 series and the Bajorians and their faith in the prophets.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 6:32 pm

Get with the times, scapheap! :)

The Star Trek religion converted to Jedi years ago!

In the last couple of UK censuses and here in Australia, there has been a push for people to list their religion as Jedi so as to have it an officially recognised religion. 8)

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 8:34 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
Get with the times, scapheap! :)

The Star Trek religion converted to Jedi years ago!

In the last couple of UK censuses and here in Australia, there has been a push for people to list their religion as Jedi so as to have it an officially recognised religion. 8)

Roddenberry is timeless, he inspired Lucas and therefore, Jedi is merely and offshoot of Kirk!! :wink: :roll: :lol:

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 7:05 am

Where is Werbert? He's a trekky.

As a religion, Jedi has a lot going for it. It teaches you to fight for goodness and niceness instead of badness and evil, and you don't have to go to church on Sundays.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2006, 10:21 pm

I take it you are saying this in a joking manner Scrapheap? However What religion ? Gene Roddenberry was humanist, open minded and not a big fan of theists.
Interview of Gene Roddenberry:
Writer, Producer, Philosopher, Humanist
http://www.philosophysphere.com/humanist.html
Humm and BazzaMcKenzie how is jedi better it still does the whole silly dark/light dance. And the jedi do have a temple and the lot of silliness and so do the Sith Lords.

Malaclypse
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2006, 5:54 am

Here's a rather serious question for you all: what did you think of the third season of Enterprise? I thought it was a George-Bush-in-space theatre, breaking completely with the program of moral issues and logical dilemmas and going into the political justification game. Yuuuuuuuck!! ! I thought it was terrible that they had so much good action in it that I couldn't resist continue watching it. Anyone who didn't identify the captain with GWB (Great Wild Beast) and his actions with Iraqi bomb searches must be blind indeed. "We must find the weapon at any cost! Sometimes it takes excessive measures, but millions of lives are at stake here, so let's flush this guy out the airlock here and blow these people over here to smithereens, and oooh! what's that? what happens when you push - oops! Well, it's all in a day's work. It's good to be an American hero."

Otherwise, I'm all with you, ST as a religion is the new thing!