Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

InfidelMatt
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2006, 9:46 pm

I want to ask an interesting question...

Do 'aspies' tend to take themselves very seriously? I believe that I have A.S. and probably all of my life. What's more is that ever since I was very little, I have always taken myself very seriously. This is not to say I never laughed but it was only when a situtation was hysterically funny did I do so. But growing up 'aspie', I have noticed that I have always taken myself very seriously. I would get easily offended and rather insulted when I was teased by someone and wanted to be taken seriously. I think that my overall sense of humor has really improved by only by effort. The thing is that I have to try to not take myself seriously. Being serious for me is natural. It comes almost as natural as being able to talk. It's joking around and learning how to relax and not be "uptight" that takes quite some effort on my part.

Is this typically 'aspie'?

Matthew

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 10:08 pm

One of the things that hurt me before I knew I had AS was how much the relatives don't like me. I was criticized by my British relatives for "thinking too deeply" about things. I was often told to lighten up and try to be less serious. My immediate family here in Canada do not care whether I think deeply about things or not, it's never an issue. But the British relatives never liked me. I think they would say that I "get up their nose".

My sister has a fantastic sense of humour and the relatives love her.

Consequently she gets lots of invites to come over and stay for free with relatives in England. I never get such invitations.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 10:14 pm

Yes ... I take myself very seriously. I have a sense of humor, though. When I speak about something, I expect people to take my seriously. Situations where I feel misunderstood can linger, and then I start worrying about what I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again. I am avoidant to a large degree, and try to purposefully avoid situations where I may feel misunderstood. A sense of humor has, for me, worked as an avoidance. I cover up a lot of my emotional insecurities that way.

- Ray M -

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 11:24 pm

I have a very sharp sense of humor...I find alot of things "funny" or can easily see the humor in many situations, maybe at times to the extreme...my father was the same way...although many times someone will say something and it is entirely "over my head" and I don't get the point.

The only piece of the puzzle that "doesn't fit" for me....

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 11:40 pm

Most of the time I see myself and the world as a big joke, and it gets me into a lot of trouble.

I really only take people seriously wehen they're being nasty - and even then it would be much better if I could just laugh at them too.

I don't take myself seriously enough. I've always just absorbed any mean insults people used to say to me, and seriously not cared. Usually it's internet people's nastiness that gets to me, because they just go all out, and I hate the fact that they act way cooler than they are in real life.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 1:50 am

InfidelMatt wrote:
I want to ask an interesting question...

Do 'aspies' tend to take themselves very seriously? I believe that I have A.S. and probably all of my life. What's more is that ever since I was very little, I have always taken myself very seriously. This is not to say I never laughed but it was only when a situtation was hysterically funny did I do so. But growing up 'aspie', I have noticed that I have always taken myself very seriously. I would get easily offended and rather insulted when I was teased by someone and wanted to be taken seriously. I think that my overall sense of humor has really improved by only by effort. The thing is that I have to try to not take myself seriously. Being serious for me is natural. It comes almost as natural as being able to talk. It's joking around and learning how to relax and not be "uptight" that takes quite some effort on my part.

Is this typically 'aspie'?

Matthew

I used to be like you, before I met my first group of real friends back in highschool. Since then, most my friends have usually been brilliantly funny people, so over the years I've lightened up a lot. I really like to make people laugh now. I go through phases where I can and can't say quick witted things, depending on the moment, but I can always make people laugh with goofy gestures and physical expressions.

I do my best to surround myself with funny people because I think that is one of the best things in life.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2006, 2:07 am

I think i have a good sense of humour, though apparantly i laugh at strange things or miss jokes, or so I've been told. As a kid i was deffinantly very serious, about a lot of things and would get annoyed if people didn't take what i said seriously.
And too this day i hate any kind of practical joke/teasing, especially from people i don't know very well. It really, really annoys me and i don't find it at all funny but only childish. I used to think like that as a child too, that the kids who played pranks and stuff were just really childish, i don't think that made me very popluar :)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 2:22 am

I'm more serious than most people I know but then again, it depends on what company I'm keeping. Most of my humour is dry, but in good company I can be goofy and send up myself.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2006, 11:46 am

i am 16, i think i am more serios than most peole and i know i miss the point to alot of joke, but recently i learnt how to make better joke.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 2:19 pm

I'm at the extremes. I find something hysterically funny, love taking the mick out of myself (since being with my current group of friends - real friends.) But when they make a joke and are hypothetically speaking, I will find it funny but then go onto expand on what would happen if they weren't talking hypothetically, and end up forgetting it was a joke anyway. And I over-explain myself way too much. I just take everything too far, for example we went throgh a stage of wearing stupid hats to music school. For a few weeks that was great but then almost everyone else got bored. But I didn't, and was rather miffed that they'd stopped. Now it's just myself and my friend's Dad (incidentally the founder of 'Hat Morning' :) ) who wear stupid hats. And even that's only now for Jazz Band :cry:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 3:50 pm

I do take myself seriously but then, at the same time, I have a cracking sense of humour I've been told :D

tdbrown82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2006, 4:17 pm

don't take myself or the world seriously

I wish I knew more people like me

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2006, 4:21 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Most of the time I see myself and the world as a big joke, and it gets me into a lot of trouble.

I really only take people seriously wehen they're being nasty - and even then it would be much better if I could just laugh at them too.

I don't take myself seriously enough. I've always just absorbed any mean insults people used to say to me, and seriously not cared. Usually it's internet people's nastiness that gets to me, because they just go all out, and I hate the fact that they act way cooler than they are in real life.

I'm the same way, I get in trouble for laughing at the absurdity of the world all the time, the more serious people try to take themselves the funnier I find it.

The only thing that throws me is when someone I dont know very well tries to joke around by pretending to be serious and I wont get it at first. For example the other day I was staying late at work to finish off some important stuff and another guy said 'oh just leave it and come down the pub', and I told him 'no, I can't just leave this', and only then I realised he was joking :oops: That happens to me a lot.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2006, 4:39 pm

I usually get those kind of fly away 'jokes' quiet quickly but i still allways answer them completely literally. Its as if i have to figure out what they really mean and while i do my mouth will answer them and THEN i will realise what their saying was not meant literally and thats fine.
My family don't have a problem with this but i expect it confuses people who don't really know me.

Lupine_Ragdoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2006, 6:04 pm

I don't think others find me that funny, but that's probably because my sense of humour is quite random, and others tend not to get it, or it'll be to do with a funny image in my head, which I can't accurately describe. Often someone will say something that will put a funny image into my head, and then I'll be trying desperately not to laugh while others are wondering what's so funny. :oops: :lol:

An example of this is when I was in college, and my tutor was explaining how holding a guitar by an electric light causes the pickups to make weird noises. I suddenly had an image in my head of someone holding a guitar with a mouth up to a light, and the guitar would then make random noises (eg. opera-style singing, burping, etc.). I think my classmates thought I'd gone insane, the way I was barely able to hold in my laughter... :P

Help revive ReBoot!

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2006, 8:29 pm

Lupine_Ragdoll wrote:
or it'll be to do with a funny image in my head, which I can't accurately describe. Often someone will say something that will put a funny image into my head, and then I'll be trying desperately not to laugh while others are wondering what's so funny. :oops: :lol:

I have this with images too. :lol:
Exaclty the same!!

I take my self seriously, but I do have a good sense of humor, though I am not the one-joke-after-the-other kind of person.
I do laught but most of my friends laugh more than me
thats because Im more selective...but also kind of Impolite ; if I dont find sth funny I wont laugh because I cant fake it (I look very stupid when I do this).

:arrow: Can I ask u people a question: Do YOU laugh with YOUR jokes?