Constantly being discouraged/talked out of things

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cyd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2010, 12:24 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Cut the apron strings, go to Boston, turn off your cell phone and have a good time. If you are mature enough to hold down a job you are mature enough to take a bus on vacation by yourself. I hopped on a plane and moved 3000 miles from home when I was 17 and it was the best decision I ever made.

WOOHOO! I took a train and only went 600 miles but I'm with you. It was the best decision I ever made!!

Tias
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 5:13 pm

Then don't back down.
Tell her to shut the f**k up for once and let her make you go somewhere on your own for once.
You're not a little baby.
Confront her with that she ALWAYS tries to talk you out of things.

Or, simply plan it WITHOUT telling her.
And once you are gone you can text her and close your phone so she can't contact you.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 1:49 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
I DID IT!! !!

Im so excited! I made my motel reservation and bought my greyhound ticket! Ive got my laundry going right now and im leaving at 630 tuesday morning returning at 11 wednesday night.

Im gonna pay a visit to my old stomping ground of salem, ma. the very place i got expelled from school in june of 2000.

Have an awesome time and enjoy the freedom of being your own man!

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 9:22 pm

My parents did this quite often with me and still try but I'm no longer a child and threaten to leave home when they do. My parents, espicaly my mother, were extremely sheltering of me when I was younger. I wanted to learn to drive but they convinced me I would not be able too because of the other people. I wanted to try and bag groceries at the local grocery store and they convinced me the noises and stuff would bother me. My father tells me I will instantly fail the math part of the college entrance exam so I should give up my dream of being a vet. My mother wants me to focus on being a vet tech instead. I've been told that ever since I was in the fourth grade and told vet school would be too hard because of the math requirement. I'd personaly rather be hit in the face with a brick than be a vet tech. I can't watch Animal Planet anymore because of the Bel-Ray comercials. I'm so sick of my own parents not believing in me and I wonder if they are purposely trying to hold me back. I may not be able to be a vet for any reason but I wish my parents would be encouraging anyway like those parents of kids with terminal illnesses who are going to die in their teens and still send them to school.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 11:49 am

PunkyKat wrote:
I'm so sick of my own parents not believing in me and I wonder if they are purposely trying to hold me back.

It sounds pretty obvious that they are.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 11:33 am

Im back! we pulled in at 1230 this morning, 90 minutes behind schedule...

The trip was a complete success, i had a great time, and one of my special interests was a BIG help. The greyhound driver we had, had not driven this route in several years, he got lost MANY times. My interest in maps and roads kicked in and i gave hime turn by turn directions to a few of the stops.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 12:22 pm

How did your mother react?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 1:20 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
I'm so sick of my own parents not believing in me and I wonder if they are purposely trying to hold me back.

It sounds pretty obvious that they are.

When I try to tell them that, they go on and on about how I am my own worst enemy and how I just exgerate my problems. My parents keep telling ,me it would not be fair to tote Pippin around everywhere as a service animal but when I ask for help in obtaning a service dog, they tell me I don't need one and they don't want any more dogs. They tell me I don't like dogs and they don't want to have to take care of a puppy becuase I would alway loose intrest in my pets. I was a little kid when I lost intrest in my pets but most of the time I needed help in caring for them because I felt too overwhelmed or did not have a clue what I was supposed to do. Sometimes I forgot what I was supposed to do and needed help remembering. I simply needed help in taking care of Pippin sometimes. My parents expect me to help out with their pets sometimes but becuase I needed help with Pippin sometimes, I'm incapable of caring for her. My father hates reptiles or at least "dosen't like them". He used to kill snakes for sport and for the first month after I brought Pippin home from the pet shop, I feared for Pippin's life. I recently admitted this to my mom and she got kinda pissed and told me I really understimated my dad. Well when I first started asking for a snake/lizard my dad would threaten to kill it when I wasn't around and I've seen the man kill snakes with a pocket knife. Harmless little garter snakes.

My parents will try to change the subject and we just "go in circles" and start yelling at each other and nothing gets sorted out. I keep asking my mom to make an appointment with my therapist but she keeps putting it off. Personaly, I think we all need therapy but they don't trust therapists anymore.

I used to wish my parents would peek at my posts and see how I really felt but I say the same things to them verbably and nothing happens. If my mom came across this post she would probably get really mad at me and tell me I am "exgerating" or "blowing everything out of porortion" again. I even told her about how I can't really watch a movie with a school setting without getting flash backs and panic attacks. Sometimes they make me feel like I am going to pass out. My mom broke out laughing when she heard that. She said it was simply because I was being so "dramatic" about it but that's the only way I could describe it. And my parents wonder why I want my own place so bad.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 2:03 pm

Get out soon. That place sounds toxic.