Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 6:31 pm

Hey guys. Got a mac book pro for a gift (awesome, huh?) but I can't get Adobe Flash Player to work. I've downloaded both versions for OS X. Um, what might be the problem?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 7:09 pm

I heard something about Apple dropping the built-in Flash, but it should work if you go to Adobe's website and download the plug-in there. You do have to restart your browser for it to take effect, though.

I assume you're using Safari?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 11:42 pm

Yupperz, I sure am. It must not have a built in flash... because I couldn't watch youtube on it. But Maybe I do have to restart it.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:01 am

you don't need flash...

http://www.youtube.com/html5

flash never worked. that's why apple dropped it.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:07 am

you can install ClickToFlash to block flash everywhere and force an alternative if available.

https://extensions.apple.com/

you'll find the ClickToFlash safari plugin under productivity

gets rid of all annoying flash ads, saves your mac from frying and prolongs battery life by several hours.

flash is dead.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:29 am

aspi-rant wrote:
you don't need flash...

http://www.youtube.com/html5

flash never worked. that's why apple dropped it.

This is a good suggestion, and you should use HTML5 whenever possible. However, not all Youtube videos are available in HTML5 yet, and embedded video everywhere else on the Internet still uses Flash, so for the time being it is a necessary evil.

Try THIS or THIS to get Flash installed. You should be able to just download one of those and run the installer.

intravenus_de_milo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Dec 2010, 8:32 am

Apple has been shipping their laptops without installing flash. You just need to go to Adobe's website and install the flash player for your browser, and you will have flash.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2010, 8:33 am

I came to the website for exactly this topic.

I have Vista and use Internet Explorer. When Adobe Flash Player first stopped working it did work at times. Now it is affecting everything.

The problem is that Flash Player is not compatible with IE. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix the problem?

irene

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 8:45 am

irene wrote:
I came to the website for exactly this topic.

I have Vista and use Internet Explorer. When Adobe Flash Player first stopped working it did work at times. Now it is affecting everything.

The problem is that Flash Player is not compatible with IE. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix the problem?

irene

Discontinue using IE.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2010, 11:52 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have considered that option. However, my preference is correct the problem. It does not make any sense that a program that is used by most websites is not compatible with an operating system that is used on the majority of the computers sold. That just leads me to believe there is a solution that I just haven't found yet.

irene

V001
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2010, 12:11 pm

Irene try downloading the install file for flash to your computer.
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Download that file than close ie than run that install from were you downloaded it.
Start ie back up that could fixed it.

kmg90
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2011, 9:48 pm

irene wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have considered that option. However, my preference is correct the problem. It does not make any sense that a program that is used by most websites is not compatible with an operating system that is used on the majority of the computers sold. That just leads me to believe there is a solution that I just haven't found yet.

irene

Um the number sites Firefox, Chrome and Opera is increasing and the number of Internet Explorer is compatible is DECREASING....

Can't use Google Wave (lame example but I could give you some awesome sites that DON'T WORK on IE)

Use Firefox with IE Tab and if you find one of those rare sites that only work with IE switch the rendering engine over to IE boom IE inside firefox, for that site

Do the web and yourself a favor and switch to a different better browser

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 12:50 am

irene wrote:

irene

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. There are other problems with IE, though, and those are not going to be fixed anytime soon. You are better off switching to Firefox or Chrome.