27 Dec 2010, 12:07 am

Period.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:13 am

Giftorcurse wrote:
Period.

You're only 16, Giftorcurse. You've got plenty of time to improve. I didn't start creative writing in earnest until I was 24 or 25. It takes time, practice, and tenacity.

On sabbatical...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 4:37 am

i don't seem to have the whatever it is, to write anything longer than a few paragraphs at most. i can't even think of anything longer than a few paragraphs. i don't have enough RAM in my wetware. i had long thought about writing the great american metaphysical novel, about a spirit who started out as just a dim speck of consciousness, and wandering through various iterations, and living through manifold incarnations in many worlds, rises in light beyond angelhood to that which no man could conceive- until i found out that a persian mystic named Rumi already had been there and done that. compared to this, everything else under the sun seems trite to me, and fails to motivate me despite myself, into anything other than occasional idle ramblings punctuated by sleep and mundane diversions.

to the OP, don't fret about it too much, i am sure you are good at things you have not yet considered- maybe you should approach writing from a different tack. let the muse come to you, don't chase after it. just my jejune opinion.

point_blank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2010, 10:40 am

Giftorcurse wrote:
Period.

try to not care so much if you suck for a while cause it will only cripple you, i stopped doing a lot of things i liked doing cause i was sceard at sucking at it, and didn't like the feeling of being bad at something.
so i never got any good at any of it, cause i never did any of it. I missed a lot of fun that way.
Have fun, dont worry, then rest will fall into place.
and if you still suck after 30 years
at least you had some fun.

and who doesn't think they suck sometimes??

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 11:02 am

Personally speaking, several times I've often wanted to write out things whcih, I see in my mind yet often I wind up just saying what is halfway understood.So, you should not see yourself as being bad at something.No one is perfect as perfection only exists in the natural world.Point being, you should simply be contented with how & what you write regardless of what others might perceive.. :(
:salut:

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 6:11 pm

I am good at it, but I don't like it very much.

It is sometimes assumed that you like what you are good at but that's not entirely true, you could be naturally good at something, were forced to do it a lot or did it to please people.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2010, 3:22 am

If you want write creatively, then don't shoot yourself in the foot with self-criticism. I've done that to myself with my writing more times than I want to remember.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer