Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 4:59 pm

don't really care about bulking up though I think I've lost some muscle mass since high school. I just want to lose weight. I have about 110 lbs to lose and it doesn't have to be overnight for fear of getting excess, sagging skin.

What do you think, just straight cardio like treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike?

I'm thinking about maybe working out an hour or two every day, maybe three on weekends. Or, maybe on weekends, do some weight training just to tone so when I do get thin, I'll have something to show off.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 5:40 pm

Oh don't burn yourself out!! Maybe try a half an hour to an hour on a tread mill starting, since it's a little difficult to get your body started. But, cardio is wonderful! You will tone up and lose weight. Use all three, see what you like! But, if you're going to strength train, it's best to do it every other day, or every day for the purpose of being consistent and resting your muscles. For example, do arms one day and legs the next. That way, you won't lose your muscle to cardio, since it takes a lot of energy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 1:53 am

whole-body exercises have the most bang for the buck, they get the most done in the shortest amount of time. try jumping rope- it is inexpensive and can be done almost anywhere, no gym membership required. it exercises the whole body and is a teriffic aerobic conditioner. your whole body will become toned.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2010, 8:13 am

I agree. You shouldn't kill yourself outright. What you need is aerobic training to burn calories fast (for example; treadmill, spinning, stepper). Start slowly and progress in time. One hour a day exercising is enough to lose weight, otherwise it will wear you out.

Go to the nearest gym or do it outside. I myself found outside better for sports, it's way more fun. I advise you start walking 30 minutes, then after awhile 45 and even 1hr. If you can transition into running, but it's not a must.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 9:51 am

MasterJedi wrote:
I'm thinking about maybe working out an hour or two every day, maybe three on weekends

Three hours sounds like a little too much.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 7:22 pm

just remember to start slow......but.......you will have to be dedicated. i lost about 50 lbs through walking, running and bicycling. by then i was ready for marathons and had become a bicycle racer. best thing i've ever done for myself.

i know this sounds crazy but it is true. to lose one pound of FAT by walking......you need to walk 20 miles. many people start walking and think they are losing permanent weight, but are only losing water. it's amazing how many pounds you drop through sweat.....but you gain it right back. why so many people give up very quickly.

keep at it. if you're healthy and your knees and feet are in good shape, then wear out some shoes.

an added benefit of long distance fast walking/running/cycling is that it will change your brain chemistry... for the better.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 7:32 pm

If you can work out for 3 hours you're not working out. After I'm on a bike for 3 hours I'm ready to puke, lay in the bathtub for an hour, etc.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm

reply to PISTONHEAD......speed is everything when riding. the average cyclist will ride 13 miles in one hour riding on flat ground. single, no drafting.

someone in really good aerobic shape can ride a century run (100) miles in about 5 hours.

the average 40 km (25mile) time trial, no drafting, for an average racer should take less than an hour.

how fast are you riding to get wiped out after 3 hours? if you're riding 75/85 miles, killing yourself, that's good for interval/speed training, but doesn't help if you do it every time you get on the bike. why not slow down and ride 6 or 7 hours, building your aerobic capability and enjoying the ride.

don't mean to lecture. riding was my whole life for a few years, racing the most fun i'd ever had.....till i was run over by a drunk driver, ending my riding/racing days. sorry, i'm going to cry now.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 12:36 am

I reckon do weights as well. Doing weights leads to muscle, and that burns food even when your sitting still. Weights are enjoyable too.

I think one of the secrets to maintaining an exercise program is to not try and go full steam at anything, you will burn out. You will be thinking before long, "man I gotta go and do X and Y, and it always hurts" - developing exercise to become a habit rather than a chore is a key. And one thing that can help is making it enjoyable. Having a gym buddy can be great. You can challenge one another to things. When I had one we would do all sorts of things, bench press rep out comps (using a light weight), jumping up on boxes, sled pulls. Lots of variety, lots of fun.